Windows 10: Black streen and then freeze. CPU, GPU or software issue?

Discus and support Black streen and then freeze. CPU, GPU or software issue? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm having a very weird issue in one of the computers I'm responsible for. The machine works fine generally, but it has some weird issues. 1) During... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kmerse, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Kmerse Win User

Black streen and then freeze. CPU, GPU or software issue?

I'm having a very weird issue in one of the computers I'm responsible for.
    The machine works fine generally, but it has some weird issues.
    1) During gaming, the screen goes blank, the sounds continues to play, then usually gets stuck (repeats the last few tunes) - but not always - and only a hard reset works. This happens especially with later titles that seem to be heavy on the GPU like the Tomb Raider series, The Crew 2, For Honor etc. But it happens on older titles as well like Star Wars Empire at War as well.
    2) During torrenting, occasionally the whole machine gets lagging and the screen eventually freezes completely - again, the only thing that can help is a hard reset.

The strange thing is that the components seem to work fine. I tested the CPU, the GPU, the RAM, the PSU with every method, every general, benchmark and stress test I came across the Net, and every component returned with great results. I took the machine apart and cleaned it from dust. I made a completely clean install of Windows 10. Nothing solved the issue.

And now I'm totally lost. My guess is that one of the parts is malfunctioning, but I can't figure out which one. Some forums suggest that it MAY be the GPU, but I have no definite answer and I would like to know at least moderately sure before I tell the user to buy a brand new GPU...

Mobo Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
    CPU Intel Core i5 4690k 3.5GHz
    GPU nVidia Geforece GTX 970
    RAM Corsair HyperX Fury black 2x8GB
    PSU EGVA Supernova 750 G2

:)

Kmerse, Sep 30, 2018

2. Issue with black screen, dual display, ATI Integrated GPU

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to go to device manager and disable the display drivers, check whether the issue persists or not.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      Device manager.
    • Click to expand Display adapters, right click the second adapter and click
      Disable.
    • Restart the computer and check whether the issue persists or not.
    • Repeat the same steps to disable the first display adapter and check if it helps.

If you find the issue is with anyone of the display adapters then, I suggest you to update the display drivers from the manufactures website for Windows 10 and check if it helps.

Method 2: I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for
    “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Sep 30, 2018
  3. Nova Win User
    New laptop hardlock with black screen

I have a new notebook, running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, which is randomly freezing, showing a black screen. System specs:

• intel core i5
    • HD is an SDD, 250GB
    • GPU: Intel HD graphics 620
    Symptoms:

• happens randomly, related to no particular reason, time of the day, and programs running
    • when freezes, the notebook screen is "active" (back light is on) but completely black; external monitor, connected via HDMI, is black as well
    • when freezes, no key input is responding. I tried to press "CAPS Lock", which has a led on it, and the led is not toggling
    • I noticed I can keep the PC on for several days, without any problem. It always freezes whenever I'm actively using it
    What I already tried:

• reinstall Windows from scratch (even starting from an external USB drive)
    • run windows in "clean boot" mode (all non-MS services disabled, all startup programs disabled)
    • update the BIOS, and all "relevant" drivers (GPU, System Firmware, network interface, bluetooth, ...) of the PC to the latest version
    • testing the memory with MemTest86+: no issues, after several steps
    • stressing the GPU with FurMark: reached quite an high temperature (70°), but no issues
    • stressing the CPU with IntelBurnTest: reached quite an high temperature (70°), but no issues
    Now, I would guess it's an hardware problem, but the strange thing is that we ordered 6 identical PCs, and this is happening on 4 of them. Therefore, for "statistical" reasons, we don't think it could be possible that all of them shows an HW issue... It only happens with a different rate from one PC to another (for instance, happens daily on my PC, and once a week on another)
    Any idea on how to investigate this issue further?
    Any test / improvement I can do?

4. Arun B J Win User

My GPU is heavily under performing, please help!

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What is the make and model of GPU?

• Do you face this issue only with this game or all the game?
    I suggest you to use the same GPU in different computer and check if the issue persist.

As you mentioned that you have overclocked the CPU, Microsoft does not recommend overclocking the CPU.

Reply with necessary information and I’ll be happy to help you further

Thanks and Regards

Arun B J, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Black streen and then freeze. CPU, GPU or software issue? - Similar Threads - Black streen freeze

2. Roblox freezes accompanied by drops in CPU and GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roblox freezes accompanied by drops in CPU and GPU usage: Hey, so as the title mentions, Roblox freezes for about 2 seconds at a time, in pairs of freezes, the second following about a quarter of a second after the first. Oddly, resource usage actually goes down during this time, and is nowhere near peak while running, cpu below...
  3. Roblox freezes accompanied by drops in CPU and GPU usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Roblox freezes accompanied by drops in CPU and GPU usage: Hey, so as the title mentions, Roblox freezes for about 2 seconds at a time, in pairs of freezes, the second following about a quarter of a second after the first. Oddly, resource usage actually goes down during this time, and is nowhere near peak while running, cpu below...
  4. Windows 11 and CPU/GPU Performance Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 and CPU/GPU Performance Issues: Dear Windows Team;Just a heads up. Not sure how many of you were around during the last major Windows Failure with the CPU manufacturers. Or that they were holding back some of their code from Windows because of proprietary ownership issues or just an unintentional oversight....
  5. Windows 11 and CPU/GPU Performance Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 and CPU/GPU Performance Issues: Dear Windows Team;Just a heads up. Not sure how many of you were around during the last major Windows Failure with the CPU manufacturers. Or that they were holding back some of their code from Windows because of proprietary ownership issues or just an unintentional oversight....
  6. about gpu and cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    about gpu and cpu: well i was playing minecraft win 10 edition and task manager was also opened i saw that game is taking 70 -80 % cpu usage and only 14% gpu usage so i just want to say that why i am getting only 14 % gpu i should get more gpu so that my cpu can go down and my background wont...
  7. Big stuttering issues: CPU and GPU usage drops to nearly 0% and the app/game/system freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Big stuttering issues: CPU and GPU usage drops to nearly 0% and the app/game/system freezes: I've this issue for a long time and a few days ago I posted this question in the spanish community website, but sadly no one could help me and I've no received any answer since then.So basically I've a big stuttering problem in which while in a game although this happens even...
  8. cpu and gpu problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cpu and gpu problem: why my cpu wont use the base speed 1,70ghz my cpu only work at 0,80ghz no matter what I open and my gpu wont utilize more than 20% no matter what game I open. This problem happen when I download the windows update and also i already update my driver...
  9. GPU/CPU Performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GPU/CPU Performance: Hello everyone! So I have an GTX 1060 3GB with an i5-7400 and 16GB Ram. I've used the app "UserBenchmark" and saw that my GPU is on red. I've noticed that too because whenever I play warzone, I always get 30 to 40 fps on the lowest settings when I should be getting anywhere...
  10. Windows Freezes Hardware or Software Issue?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Freezes Hardware or Software Issue?: After inserting a USB my laptop freezes, after some time. Forcing me to button restart it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-freezes-hardware-or-software-issue/59d6d3d3-5a08-47f4-a49c-a40f645ed6d9