Windows 10: Black/white horizontal bar across the screen in Adobe and Chrome

Discus and support Black/white horizontal bar across the screen in Adobe and Chrome in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello all, Myself and the rest of our IT department have been struggling with this for almost 8 months now. The issue: Every day, in Adobe (Acrobat... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MEGA KMAN96, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Black/white horizontal bar across the screen in Adobe and Chrome

Hello all,

Myself and the rest of our IT department have been struggling with this for almost 8 months now.

The issue: Every day, in Adobe (Acrobat and Reader) and Google Chrome, one of our users is experiencing a bar that stretches across the entire screen. This bar varies in height, as well as color. Sometimes its white, sometimes its black (image 1). Sometimes, it is even a frozen image of an earlier window at that position (image 2). When clicking in this bar, the window disappears and the window behind it is active. I have attached screenshots of the issues

Black/white horizontal bar across the screen in Adobe and Chrome 9d5f17f8-2ad6-4a4a-aae0-cdd73e5baa23?upload=true.jpg

Black/white horizontal bar across the screen in Adobe and Chrome eb2e7321-1216-4c63-9872-9e134e6a0ec2?upload=true.jpg

Black/white horizontal bar across the screen in Adobe and Chrome 523e263b-6f05-4544-a2ee-724d6609c4ee?upload=true.jpg

This issue is user specific. The image used to build the computer is the same as everyone else in the department, and no software on this machine is unique to only her. All of this software is updated to the same versions as the other users as well. This user is not affected by any unique Group Policies.

OS: Started out as Windows 10 x64 Version 1709 and upgraded to Windows 10 x64 Version 1809

The hardware: The user first started noticing the issue when she had a HP Elitebook 850 G4 and was using an external monitor as her main display (Display Port). The external monitor was situated to the left of her laptop display. This model is used throughout the company. During troubleshooting, we moved her M2 drive to another unit of the same model. We also tried rebuilding her M2 drive from that image and from scratch. Last week, we built a HP ProDesk 600 G2 and set her up on that. With this PC, we set up a second monitor on the right(Display Port). Therefore, the issue is not related to hardware.

The issue seems to only occur on the "main" monitor. Yesterday, we noticed that the issue was only happening on her left monitor, which was set up as her main monitor. For testing, we set up the right monitor as the main monitor, and the issue followed it.

Currently, the only workaround that we have been able to find is pressing F11 twice in Chrome, bringing it to full screen and back. I think she is doing something similar in Adobe. This workaround is extremely temporary. I believe we also tried refreshing the display adapter, but that isn't very helpful.

The user has tried paying attention to what she is doing when the issue occurs. From the information she has given us, there doesn't seem to be many similarities from day to day. One day she reported that the issue pops up after she opened a voicemail from an email attachment, but the next day when she opened a similar attachment, everything worked fine.

The one thing we can think of that she does differently from any other employee is open emails with PDF attachments from Indeed.com. However, she has not noticed the issue happening every time she opens one of these emails and attachments each morning.

This issue is not reflecting at all in the Event Viewer.

Things we have tried:

• Updated display and graphics drivers. At first, this seemed to fix the issue, but it came back a day or two later.
    • Updated all other hardware drivers
    • Disabled Hardware Acceleration
    • Changed resolution, refresh rate, and scaling
    • Rearranged the monitors into different configurations, setting different monitors as main display
    • Replaced the monitors entirely
    • Swapped Display Port cables with VGA cables
    • Updated OS to 1809
    • Rolled back drivers to earlier versions (per other forums)
    • Updated all software
    • Deleted user profile from computer and reconfigured it
    • Moved M.2 drive to another computer, same model
    • Completely wiped her M.2 and rebuilt from image
    • Completely wiped her M.2 and rebuilt from scratch
    • Built new computer with different drive and hardware

At this point, we are at a loss on what to do next. As you can see, we have tried very extreme troubleshooting steps, but nothing has helped.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!

Kaleb Ward

:)

MEGA KMAN96, Aug 7, 2019

2. Black or White bars at top or bottom of screen

I have already posted in the Google Calendar forums and they have said it isn't an issue with Google Calendar.

And yes, I have disabled all extensions, cleared cache, and used 3 other browsers all with same symptoms.

To clarify the problem. Basically a white or black bar will suddenly appear in the top or bottom of the browser which then imposes itself onto other tabs and windows. The first example was taken in Google Maps, but you can see the Google Calendar tab/white
    bar cutting off the bottom of the screen.

The second example is taken in Adobe Reader, but you can see that Firefox black bar has imposed itself in both left and right section of the screen and parts of the Adobe application are not visible.

Sam Gallon, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Roan T Win User
    Small white bar on right side of screen

Hi Bardan,

We'd be glad to provide assistance. To better narrow this down and deliver you accurate solutions, please answer
    the following questions:

• Is the white bar present regardless of what program you are using on your computer?

• Can you send us a screenshot of the
      white bar?
      Please edit the image if any personal information may be exposed.

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

This issue could also be related to
    damaged screen. We suggest that you contact your manufacturer to have your computer checked for hardware issues.

Regards.

Roan T, Aug 7, 2019
  4. gregcm1 Win User

Black/white horizontal bar across the screen in Adobe and Chrome

Black bar in chrome

As far as I can tell Windows 10 does not have a separate Tablet Mode Chrome Browser, although I remember something like that in Windows 8.

I have seen other people post similar things on this forum. For example, one person describes a black task bar that covers their normal chrome task bar. This is not my issue, my black bar is below the task bar and bookmarks bar. That thread is located
    here: Google Chrome Black Task Bar is hiding my windows 8 taskbar

Another person describes a black bar that appears when they move the cursor close to the top of the page, this bar also covers the chrome task bar. This is evidently a result of using a mouse in "modern mode" which is designed to be touch-based. This is
    also different from my issue as the black bar on my screen is permanent and in a fixed position. That thread can be found here: Black bar that appears when cursor is moved to the top of the screen

Both of the above threads involve users of Windows 8.

gregcm1, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

Black/white horizontal bar across the screen in Adobe and Chrome

1. Black/white horizontal bar across the screen in Adobe and Chrome - Similar Threads - Black white horizontal

2. Horizontal band across bottom of laptop screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Horizontal band across bottom of laptop screen: When I turn on the laptop HP Pavilion, I am getting a broad horizontal band across the screen, which stays there all the time. It is located at the lowest part of the screen where a taskbar would normally be, and it is about twice the size of a task bar. How can I get rid of...
  3. White bar across photo’s when printing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    White bar across photo’s when printing: Hi, I’m doing an internship at a local company. This morning a user came to me asking what might cause this white bar when printing a picture. Text documents with an image in it themselves works fine, but not pictures on their own. All latest drivers for printing are...
  4. Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot: Dell Inspiron i5 laptop Intel HD Graphics 4000 I am posting here as I'm not techie enough to know if this is definitely a graphics issue. For a short while now there have been multicoloured lines, though mostly pink, appearing across the top half of the screen when booting...
  5. Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with horizontal lines across screen on boot: Dell Inspiron i5 laptop Intel HD Graphics 4000 I am posting here as I'm not techie enough to know if this is definitely a graphics issue. For a short while now there have been multicoloured lines, though mostly pink, appearing across the top half of the screen when booting...
  6. There are coloured horizontal lines across the screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    There are coloured horizontal lines across the screen: Brand new PC - Windows 10 Graphics Card: GEFORCE GTX 1669 Super From initial load to setting up windows these lines have appears. I downloaded/install all windows updated And downloaded/installed NVIDA experience gaming plus driver. I've also tried multiple screens 2x...
  7. Horizontal Line across the screen in Windows 10, after using Google Chrome to Download...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Horizontal Line across the screen in Windows 10, after using Google Chrome to Download...: THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM Microsoft User JasXXX had on his Jan 30, 2018 Thread. 1. WHY ARE THREADS LOCKED WHEN A SOLUTION HASN'T BEEN REACHED?? THIS IS ABSURD. 2. 11,260 Views.... no solution reached AND THE THREAD IS LOCKED?? Why not include a fix in one of the...
  8. horizontal stripe across the screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    horizontal stripe across the screen: A couple of days ago, a horizontal, light color stripe - about 3" from the top edge, about 1/4" wide - appeared on the screen and is present in all situations; the color of the stripe is related to whatever background color there is, just a little darker. Most visible it is...
  9. Dark mode shows white horizontal bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dark mode shows white horizontal bar: I don't know why but my Surface shows me that horizontal bar, can I "reset" Dark Mode? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_theme/dark-mode-shows-white-horizontal-bar/238cab5e-adcc-4adf-8367-3a21a2897bfc
  10. Black screen with white horizontal line flashing on top left

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with white horizontal line flashing on top left: Guys please help my laptop was fine yesterday until one day when I opened my laptop it loads then suddenly its just black screen with white horizontal line flashing on top left of the screen. Not sure if this is a hardware issue considering my laptop is brand new and only got...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black bar across chrome browser