Windows 10: Blackscreen after trying to fix system restore

Discus and support Blackscreen after trying to fix system restore in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've tried to use my restore point but it always failed, so I applied a fix I found. However, this caused a blackscreen after rebooting. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Nutzer12311, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Blackscreen after trying to fix system restore

Hi,

I've tried to use my restore point but it always failed, so I applied a fix I found.

However, this caused a blackscreen after rebooting. I've already tried cutting off the power and rebooting multiple times now, it shows the motherboard logo (BIOS works) but when the log in screen should normally appear there's just a blackscreen now. When I click around the cursor will appear (occasionally the loading symbol as well) but the blackscreen seems to be infinite.

Here's what I did (trying to fix system restore) right before the blackscreen problem (I'm not 100% sure that the fix caused the blackscreen but I didn't change anything else recently). I wanna add that I noticed that the fix (original: https://www.repairwin.com/fix-system-restore-failed-0x80070091-in-windows-10/) is only recommended for another error code, mine was a little different. The restore fix isn't the most important problem anymore though, I'd just like to fix the blackscreen.

1. Hold down the “SHIFT” key and go to Power -> Restart.

2. After PC restarts, choose: Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options –> Command Prompt.

– Your computer will restart again –

3. Choose an Account (with admin privileges), type the password (if any) and click Next.

4. At command prompt give the following commands in order (press Enter after typing each command):

diskpart
    list volume

5. Now locate the Windows Drive letter. (the drive where Windows installed).

e.g. As you can see at the screenshot bellow, the Windows drive letter is D:
    0x80070091 Windows 10

6. Type exit to close the DISKPART tool.

7. Now navigate to the Program Files folder on the Windows drive, by typing the following command: *

cd /d D:\Program Files

* Note: Change the letter D according to your case.

0x80070091 System Restore Windows 10

8. Give the following command to unhide the WindowsApps folder.

attrib –h WindowsApps

rename WindowsApps

9. Then rename the WindowsApps folder to WindowsAppsOLD, by giving this command:

ren WindowsApps WindowsAppsOLD

rename WindowsApps folder Windows 10

10. Finally type rstrui to start System Restore.

rstrui

11. Follow the on screen prompts to restore your system to a previous working state. *

* Note: After restore, proceed and disable the Windows Updates until Microsoft correct the problem.

:)

Nutzer12311, Jul 13, 2018
  2. Kenshai Win User

System Restore - Safe?

He's not trying to fix something, he's just trying to get it back to page 1 without his data on there.

Kenshai, Jul 13, 2018
  3. System Restore Error 0x81000203

Good day,

We can see here that you are having issues performing system restore on your computer. Having said that, we need to determine the cause of this problem. Before we proceed, may we know the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to perform system restore? If so, can you send us a screenshot?
      Note: Please do not include any personal information.
    • Have you performed all the suggested troubleshooting steps found on this thread?

Desiree Yau, Jul 13, 2018
  4. Mark Ole Win User

Blackscreen after trying to fix system restore

Missing icons / buttons after System Restore

Hi Terrie,

To address your concern, we suggest that you try to undo the restore or pick another restore point.

Please follow these steps to access system restore:

• Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

Blackscreen after trying to fix system restore

1. Blackscreen after trying to fix system restore - Similar Threads - Blackscreen trying fix

2. System Restore Page, pw not working, blackscreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Page, pw not working, blackscreen: I'm at the system restore page and it says Hi, Administrator but when I put in my pw it says it's wrong, I did a system reinstall because my screen is black I thought this would help and now I'm stuck at the pw part so I can't see if this is going to let me see my desktop...
  3. System Restore Page, pw not working, blackscreen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore Page, pw not working, blackscreen: I'm at the system restore page and it says Hi, Administrator but when I put in my pw it says it's wrong, I did a system reinstall because my screen is black I thought this would help and now I'm stuck at the pw part so I can't see if this is going to let me see my desktop...
  4. System Restore Page, pw not working, blackscreen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. system crashed and went into a "repair loop" after trying system restore to resolve and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system crashed and went into a "repair loop" after trying system restore to resolve and...: I was trying to assist a a freeing who was now unable to use his preferred email app Thunderbird because it would not recognize his PW. AOL/Verizon and Gmail worked just fine.After uninstalling and reinstalling the app with no success, my friend decided to trying System...
  6. system crashed and went into a "repair loop" after trying system restore to resolve and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    system crashed and went into a "repair loop" after trying system restore to resolve and...: I was trying to assist a a freeing who was now unable to use his preferred email app Thunderbird because it would not recognize his PW. AOL/Verizon and Gmail worked just fine.After uninstalling and reinstalling the app with no success, my friend decided to trying System...
  7. system crashed and went into a "repair loop" after trying system restore to resolve and...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Keep getting "Blackscreen of Death" - tried many things to fix

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keep getting "Blackscreen of Death" - tried many things to fix: I have been getting a black screen randomly during the use of my pc over the past month. It is nearly impossible to predict when it happens. Sometimes it occurs right when I turn on my pc , sometimes after 2 hours of use. Sometimes it happens when I launch an app, other...
  9. Sound not working after system restore, tried every solution but no fix. Help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sound not working after system restore, tried every solution but no fix. Help?: Skip to the ~~~~~ if you don't care about how I got here and just want to see what I've already tried. I have an MSI GE72 that is almost exactly 5 years old. At first I was just trying to make my fans run slower/quieter (I suspect the bearings have run out and become noisy...
  10. Trying a system restore and it won't complete

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying a system restore and it won't complete: I've tried a system restore twice now and it won't complete. It states that it's likely an antivirus stopping it. I only have windows defender (and free malwarebytes on demand which is not active). I disabled real time protection on Windows defender and cloud etc and still...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. screen goes black after trying to system restore