Windows 10: Blame it on your brain: Researchers discover why we ignore PC security

Discus and support Blame it on your brain: Researchers discover why we ignore PC security in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Here's a twist for the thought processes! Blame it on your brain: Researchers discover why we ignore PC security warnings [img] A new study... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Night Hawk, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Blame it on your brain: Researchers discover why we ignore PC security

Here's a twist for the thought processes!

more

Night Hawk, Aug 22, 2016
  2. groze Win User

Did they differentiate between a real security pop-up & a fake security pop-up in browsers? I never install those web shields from virus companies they just slow down your browsers. We also been told never to click on popups in browsers. The researchers are also not thinking. Let say its security patch that was released. The bug was still there before the patch. Waiting to patch a system tell after your done using it, shouldn't hurt a bit.

:)

groze, Aug 23, 2016
  3. eman1986 Win User
    Windows spotlight overrides my image choice

after some research, I've discovered a windows app was to blame for it.

I disabled it in the settings and I'm all set now.

Guess that's what I get for just glossing over prompts lol

eman1986, Aug 23, 2016
  4. Blame it on your brain: Researchers discover why we ignore PC security

Sony vaio laptop keyboard not working after update to windows 10

That's the whole point, I followed those steps to update drivers and it doesn't work, that's why I had to roll back to Win7. Sony Vaio VGN-AR61. Google it and the info you find basically says do not install Win10, your keyboard won't work. Yes, we know.

Best solution is for MS to blame Sony, and Sony to blame MS and everyone to ignore us because it's an old machine and we should replace it with a new one.

John Hargreaves, Aug 23, 2016
  5. What they did miss in this report was 10's new Active Hours schedule you can set when the WU is set to auto where all updates will see a system restart after the active time you are on is over if not you yourself manually checking and clicking the restart button for an immediate update.

The focus in this blog seems to reflect far more towards the older Windows when you would be prompted during a gaming session or other activity like video playback or other type of app to restart to see new updates applied. MS took that into consideration by seeing the new avoid while you are busy option type scheduling added in.

Night Hawk, Aug 23, 2016
  6. Culbrelai Win User
    Yeah, this is the reason why UAC has been an unmitigated failure since Windows Vista, and will continue to be. It's just another annoyance.

It's FAR more effective to teach people what not to click on/what is fake/what to look for than annoy them with popups that more savvy users just disable anyway.

Culbrelai, Aug 23, 2016
  7. Do you want to know where the UAC is set here? Likely the same as where you have it at "never" all the way down to the bottom. That was the first thing tended to with each newer 10 Insider build when being run on the main as well as the updates. TH2 and now Redstone 1 Anniversary. Royal pain in the annoyance is what the UAC and other constant prompting generally is seen as being!

Night Hawk, Aug 23, 2016
  8. altae Win User

Blame it on your brain: Researchers discover why we ignore PC security

Well we have so many "pop ups" in our lives that a single "pop up" doesn't stand out anymore. Notifications here, new mails there, advertisements, warnings, reminders... Nowadays if you want to stand out you should probably remove any kind of notifications ;-)

altae, Aug 23, 2016
  9. When the exact same thing is constant eventually you will have to take notice! There's no way around that at all. Here the one remaining cable tv box that hasn't been swapped in for the latest to come along is now seeing constant notifications onscreen and now even automated phone calls about the need to upgrade one box?! Can get a bit tedious at times!

For other notifications you now see a tab pop out on the lower right for each new thing. If your av needs an update that will be the message on that. If other updates are ready another pop out will appear as part of the system notification function in contrast to how 7 for example would see a small indicator pop up in the System tray area that could be easily missed or simply disappears too fast to catch at times and then ends up being ignored. "No worry that will popup again" would be the shrug of the shoulders by most.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Blame it on your brain: Researchers discover why we ignore PC security

1. Blame it on your brain: Researchers discover why we ignore PC security - Similar Threads - Blame brain Researchers

2. Is it legit? "we will discontinue support on your account and security"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it legit? "we will discontinue support on your account and security": I just received an email from Microsoft, it states I have a subscription renewal dew today Jan. 24, 2023, or have the subscription cut off, which will result in a lot of bad things happening to my computer. This sounds like a scam. But is it? How can I find out for sure? I...
  3. Ignoring network not secure messages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ignoring network not secure messages: I keep getting messages that my network is not secure because it uses an older security standard that is being phased out. What will happen if I do nothing? I am 80 years old and I do not understand what is happening regarding this notice. My internet provider says to ignore...
  4. Ignoring network not secure messages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ignoring network not secure messages: I keep getting messages that my network is not secure because it uses an older security standard that is being phased out. What will happen if I do nothing? I am 80 years old and I do not understand what is happening regarding this notice. My internet provider says to ignore...
  5. Ignoring network not secure messages

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. MSRC Recognizing Security Researchers in 2020

in Windows 10 News
    MSRC Recognizing Security Researchers in 2020: Is it too early to talk about the 2020 MSRC Most Valuable Security Researchers? Five months from now, at the end of June, the program period closes for researchers to be considered for inclusion in the Most Valuable Researchers list. The top researcher list will be revealed...
  7. Researchers discover seven new Meltdown and Spectre attacks

in Windows 10 News
    Researchers discover seven new Meltdown and Spectre attacks: A team of nine academics has revealed today seven new CPU attacks. The seven impact AMD, ARM, and Intel CPUs to various degrees. Two of the seven new attacks are variations of the Meltdown attack, while the other five are variations on the original Spectre attack --two...
  8. brain fart

in Windows 10 Support
    brain fart: I can't remember what the key combo short-cut is to bring up the windows version....not the system info. It's a little tiny window that opens showing the version and build. For the life of me I can't remember. A little help please. 111693
  9. A brain teazer

in Windows 10 Support
    A brain teazer: WEll, there's a puzzle I just can't solve, here it goes: My friend has 3 desktop computers, two of those have W10 1803. He also has Linux (mostly Mint) on each one on separate disks. Also a bunch of assorted HDDs for personal files, no OS on them, mostly stores movies on them...
  10. Inside the MSRC - How we recognize our researchers

in Windows 10 News
    Inside the MSRC - How we recognize our researchers: This is the first of a series of blog entries to give some insight into the Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) business and how we work with security researchers and vulnerability reports. The Microsoft Security Response Center actively recognizes those security...