Windows 10: Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system

Discus and support Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When running certain programs in my Windows 10 v. 1909 system with two monitors, sometimes a window displayed full-screen on one monitor (in my case,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by coffent, Jul 21, 2020.

1. coffent Win User

Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system

When running certain programs in my Windows 10 v. 1909 system with two monitors, sometimes a window displayed full-screen on one monitor (in my case, the one interfaced via the VGA port) will have a ~1" blank area at the top of the screen right below the title bar. (See the screenshot below.) From this point on, the system behaves as if that area of the window, as well as the title bar, is not there. For example, clicking the close "X" or the restore down icon at the top right of the screen will instead close or restore down any full-screen program that is underneath the problem one. Clicking areas or buttons below the blank area may or may not do anything. The problem occurs only if the window is maximized; a "normal" window, even if almost the same size as a maximized one, is not affected.

Once the problem occurs, some but not all other programs, both 32-bit and 64-bit, also become infected. However the problem always seems to start with Mozilla Thunderbird. Closing down and restarting the programs doesn't help. The only way I've found to semi-permanently cure the problem is to reboot, at which point things will be fine for the next few hours or days until they aren't.

Some programs that *are* affected: Thunderbird, Firefox, Notepad, Macro Exchange Pro32, VLC Media Player, Irfanview

Some programs that are *not* affected: Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Notepad++, PDFXchange Editor, Jarte, Mathcad, Visual Studio, Macrium Reflect

I'm posting this problem both here and in a Mozilla forum, as I don't know if the cause is Windows 10 (it didn't happen with Windows 7) or Thunderbird, or some combination of the two.

Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system [​IMG]

:)

coffent, Jul 21, 2020
  2. JDemoCCC Win User

Windows 10, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of screen

is there still no fix for this? I have to users with the same setup having the same issue. They are running Dell Optiplex 7050 with dual monitors connected via Display port to the onboard integrated video card which is an Intel HD 630 graphics. I was reading
    on the intel forum that it might be a driver issue and that the older driver does not have an issue. Can anyone confirm this? This is the link to the other forum post on intel.

Solved: Windows 10, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of screen. - Intel Community

JDemoCCC, Jul 21, 2020
  3. Repositioning app window on dual monitor, Windows 10

Hi Dreed,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check.

1. Launch Skype.
    2. Drag the Skype Window to secondary monitor.
    3. Resize the window as per your preference.
    4. Maximize the Window and Restore Down.
    5. Then close the skype window in secondary monitor.
    6. Then try re-launching and check if the issue resolves.

Regards.

Manjunath_H, Jul 21, 2020
  4. Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system

Windows go blank if snapping to top of secondary monitor

My system has a GeForce GT 640M, so it seems like it could be an NVIDIA driver problem. I had it happen with Adobe Illustrator as well. Other notes:

- It doesn't happen if I maximize with the menu button, only if I snap to the top.

- After it goes blank I need to move the window all the way to my primary laptop monitor before I get the display elements back.

Ryan_MSForums, Jul 21, 2020
Thema:

Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system

1. Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system - Similar Threads - Blank area top

2. Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen

in Windows 10 News
    Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen: [ATTACH]Some Windows users are reporting when a program or app window is maximized, it leaves blank space on the top part of the computer screen. This is an annoying issue and can be caused by a lot of different things. In this article, we are going to see how to resolve the...
  3. Taskbar hiding behind maximized window in Windows 10 Dual Monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar hiding behind maximized window in Windows 10 Dual Monitor: i'm using windows 10 with a dual monitor setupafter some random time using the computer the taskbar which is set to auto-hide will keep hidden behind any maximized window and won't pop up when the mouse is hovered over the edge of the screen.the only way of making it appear...
  4. Dual Monitor, Second monitor Blank.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor, Second monitor Blank.: Win10 Home Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.985 just updated before posting, was having problem in 20H2 also.I have a laptop with an external monitor attached. It has worked for several years now. Yesterday it broke..The second monitor is not getting a signal . If I turn the...
  5. Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode: I asked this question back on July 2020, but have updated it and am reposting in hopes that someone knows a solution. Others are experiencing the same problem. The problem manifests itself as a blank area at the top of a maximized window. It occurs Only for certain programs...
  6. Dual monitor setup app maximizing problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual monitor setup app maximizing problem: when every i try to minimize and maximize games on my primary screen the windows of apps like team speak 3 and discord shift position on second screen. both the screens are running on 1080p the only difference is refresh rate and game is also on 1080p. even apps open on...
  7. Dual Monitor Issues (Bar at the top of screen)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor Issues (Bar at the top of screen): Hi, We have multiple dual monitor setups at my office, all on completely different hardware (desktops and surfaces). Most users suffer from an intermittent bug where an empty grey bar (sometimes can be black) appears across the top of the main monitor which is completely...
  8. Dual Monitor Issues (Bar at the top of screen)

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor Issues (Bar at the top of screen): Hi, We have multiple dual monitor setups at my office, all on completely different hardware (desktops and surfaces). Most users suffer from an intermittent bug where an empty grey bar (sometimes can be black) appears across the top of the main monitor which is completely...
  9. Windows terminal server 2016, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows terminal server 2016, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of...: Hello! Hope some one can assist i have different Users with a strange behaviour - if they maximize a window tested with IE11, Acrobat, Windows Explorer, google chrome they get an empty or black / white space on top of that window. Right clicking on the empty or black /...
  10. Windows 10, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10, multi Monitor, maximized window blank/empty space on top of screen: This problem happens with all windows when maximized. When the window is maximized there is a bar at the top of the screen through which i can see my desktop. Its like that range that the window can maximize has been shortened. Here is the link from reddit and this is...