Windows 10: Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode

Discus and support Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I asked this question back on July 2020, but have updated it and am reposting in hopes that someone knows a solution. Others are experiencing the same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by coffent, May 5, 2021.

1. coffent Win User

Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode

I asked this question back on July 2020, but have updated it and am reposting in hopes that someone knows a solution. Others are experiencing the same problem. The problem manifests itself as a blank area at the top of a maximized window. It occurs Only for certain programs (Notepad, Intel Graphics, Thunderbird, Firefox, Macro Exchange Pro32, VLC Media Player, Irfanview)Not for other programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Notepad++, PDFXchange Editor, Jarte, Mathcad, Visual Studio, Macrium Reflect)Only when the window is displayed in Maximized mode on whichever monitor is designated as primary on a dual-monitor system When it occurs, clicking on the program's menu items does nothing, and if, for example, the X at the top right of the screen is clicked, it closes not the affected program, but rather any program underneath it. The only way I've found to cure the problem temporarily is to reboot the computer. How long it takes before the problem recurs is variable. For example, I was free of the problem for over a month until 2 days ago. Now it's occurred 3 times in the span of 2 days. I've seen various suggestions for curing the problem, but none have worked. For example, one person suggested using Task Manager to "end task" of dwm.exe. This works for an already-opened program, but if the program is closed and reopened the problem comes back. This problem has been plaguing me (and others with dual monitors) for over a year. Any suggestions? System: Windows 10 Home 2009 64-bit; Intel Graphics 630 card [I wanted to reduce the size of these screenshots & display them side-by-side, but double-clicking them does not bring up a screen for adjusting size, as I was told. If someone can tell me how, I'll reduce them.] Windowed_________________________________________________________________________Maximized

:)

coffent, May 5, 2021
  2. coffent Win User

Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system

When running certain programs in my Windows 10 v. 1909 system with two monitors, sometimes a window displayed full-screen on one monitor (in my case, the one interfaced via the VGA port) will have a ~1" blank area at the top of the screen right below the title bar. (See the screenshot below.) From this point on, the system behaves as if that area of the window, as well as the title bar, is not there. For example, clicking the close "X" or the restore down icon at the top right of the screen will instead close or restore down any full-screen program that is underneath the problem one. Clicking areas or buttons below the blank area may or may not do anything. The problem occurs only if the window is maximized; a "normal" window, even if almost the same size as a maximized one, is not affected.

Once the problem occurs, some but not all other programs, both 32-bit and 64-bit, also become infected. However the problem always seems to start with Mozilla Thunderbird. Closing down and restarting the programs doesn't help. The only way I've found to semi-permanently cure the problem is to reboot, at which point things will be fine for the next few hours or days until they aren't.

Some programs that *are* affected: Thunderbird, Firefox, Notepad, Macro Exchange Pro32, VLC Media Player, Irfanview

Some programs that are *not* affected: Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, Notepad++, PDFXchange Editor, Jarte, Mathcad, Visual Studio, Macrium Reflect

I'm posting this problem both here and in a Mozilla forum, as I don't know if the cause is Windows 10 (it didn't happen with Windows 7) or Thunderbird, or some combination of the two.

Update: Since posting, I've updated Windows to v. 2004. The problem still occurs. I've also substituted a perhaps more informative image for the original. Note the blank area at the top and the title bar, which is nonfunctional.

coffent, May 5, 2021
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Driver and/or display problem (AMD)

Try this:

• Right click on a blank area of your desktop and select "Display Properties"
    • Select "Advanced Display Settings"
    • Select "Display Adapter Properties"
    • Click on "List all Modes"
    • Select the preferred display mode. Something with at least 60Hz.
    • Then select your setting you want
    • See if the option came back

95Viper, May 5, 2021
  4. Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode

notification area on all display

Hi,

To resolve your concern regarding notification area, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Right click Taskbar.
    • Select Properties.
    • Untick Show taskbar on all displays; then, Apply.
    • Drag the remaining primary monitor taskbar to the screen you want.
    • Tick Show taskbar on all displays.

We appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode

1. Blank area at top of some programs when displayed in Maximized mode - Similar Threads - Blank area top

2. Gap between program and taskbar when maximizing program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gap between program and taskbar when maximizing program: Hi.Not sure if this is linked to a Windows update, but within the last 2 weeks I have started getting a gap between my taskbar and the programs I maximize. This has never been a problem before. See attached picture. Sometimes I can re-start the PC and it is gone but comes...
  3. Gap between program and taskbar when maximizing program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gap between program and taskbar when maximizing program: Hi.Not sure if this is linked to a Windows update, but within the last 2 weeks I have started getting a gap between my taskbar and the programs I maximize. This has never been a problem before. See attached picture. Sometimes I can re-start the PC and it is gone but comes...
  4. Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen

in Windows 10 News
    Maximized window leaves blank space on top of screen: [ATTACH]Some Windows users are reporting when a program or app window is maximized, it leaves blank space on the top part of the computer screen. This is an annoying issue and can be caused by a lot of different things. In this article, we are going to see how to resolve the...
  5. Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank area at top of maximized windows in dual-monitor system: When running certain programs in my Windows 10 v. 1909 system with two monitors, sometimes a window displayed full-screen on one monitor (in my case, the one interfaced via the VGA port) will have a ~1" blank area at the top of the screen right below the title bar. (See the...
  6. White bar at the top of maximized (full screen) programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    White bar at the top of maximized (full screen) programs: I'm having an issue when certain programs are maximized (Firefox and Chrome) they cause a bar to appear at the top of them on a second monitor above the one the program is on. This bar appears over any window that's on the second monitor as long as the maximized program is in...
  7. Blank space at top of program windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank space at top of program windows: Hello, Odd problem here. At least three programs on this Windows 10 Pro (Ver. 1909) machine will sometimes open with sections missing at the top of the windows. This usually means the menus are not there, but just a blank grey space instead. It doesn't matter if minimized...
  8. Problem when clicking on top of Focused Maximized window

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem when clicking on top of Focused Maximized window: Hi, I have been seeing a problem in windows recently and it is driving me crazy. When I have multiple windows maximized on the same screen and I click on the very top of the focused on (either to move or exit) it sometimes moves the window behind my maximized focused window....
  9. Program or app not display on top of work area

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program or app not display on top of work area: I am trying to use my snipping tool. But the snipping tool box is behind the browser window I want to take a snip of. What do I need to do to get it to appear on top? It has something to do a with a display setting but I can't figure out which item. It just not the snipping...
  10. Display, some areas faint.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display, some areas faint.: My laptop a Toshiba Satellite L870-18V is about five years old now. My problem is that some areas of my display are sometimes very faint, notably the search bars and also in for example the Settings menu when some line of print are normal and some faint. If I do a full...