Windows 10: blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner

Discus and support blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I’m running windows 10. In the past I’ve burned slides and videos onto blank DVD –R discs using Explorer and NERO. I’ve also burned slides onto CD-R... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ChuckyA, Nov 13, 2018.

1. ChuckyA Win User

blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner

I’m running windows 10. In the past I’ve burned slides and videos onto blank DVD –R discs using Explorer and NERO. I’ve also burned slides onto CD-R discs. Now, for no apparent reason, neither of my 2 DVD drives will recognize a blank DVD-R disc. I’ve used blank SONY discs (which have been problematic in the past) and Verbatim discs with AZO backing (which have always worked flawlessly in the past) in both drives yet neither drive recognizes either disc. I’ve made the following recommended registry changes, none of which resolved the problem:

• Remove DVD devices and allow pnp to reinstall

• In registry, Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

remove upper filters and lower filters

• In registry, Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0

change Enum Device 1 to 1

• Services > Shell Hardware Detection set to auto (already was auto)

The only recent change made to this machine was the replacement of a PS2 mouse and keyboard with a wireless mouse and keyboard (I can’t check to see if this was the source of the problem as the PS2 mouse and keyboard have been discarded

:)

ChuckyA, Nov 13, 2018

2. Windows 10 will not recognize a blank dvd in the dvd burner, I'm using an adapter to a USB 3

Windows 10 will not recognize a blank dvd in the dvd burner, I'm using an adapter to a USB 3. Have de-installed and reinstall, updated drivers, inserted multiple DVDs. and nothing.

CarlosNaya, Nov 13, 2018
  3. HP DVD burner

if it fails, why it can read other dvd or cd, it even can write on -rw dvd or cd. it just can't recognize the blank disc. it say the the blank disc has not been format. a burner software can't burn coz it say empty dvd drive, need to insert a disc.

mrthanhnguyen, Nov 13, 2018
  4. blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner

DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

Thank you for your help, Andre. I appreciate that it was so prompt!

My system is a Dell Inspiron 5558.

First step: Running Troubleshooter in Hardware and Devices and then restarting.
    Outcome: No change. The drive says to insert a disc, even though there is a brand new on in the drive.

Second step: Open Device Manager and update the driver for the DVD drive.
    Outcome: No change. Using the option to search the internet for the most current drive, Microsoft says the best driver for this device is already installed. FYI - the DVD drive is: TSSTcorp
    DVD+- SU-208GB

Third step: Open Administrator:Windows Powershell and run the regedit.exe command then restart.

Outcome: No change. The drive does not recognize a new/blank DVD-R.

Fourth step: Check out the suggestions at groovypost.com. Remove and reinstall the IDE/ATAPI drivers (ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1, and Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller).

Outcome: When I set the view to "show hidden devices" and expanded the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, there is only one listed: Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family
    SATA AHCI Controller. I didn't do anything because I wasn't sure about uninstalling that driver.

So, bottom line, nothing changed. The problem of the drive not recognizing a new DVD is persisting. The only thing that changed from four days ago, when I burned about 8 DVDs, and now, is that I ran out of the DVDs I was using and bought a new batch (identical
    brand and type to what I had been using - SONY DVD-R). I bought a second batch of a different brand - Maxell DVD-R - and those don't work either.

I don't believe it is a hardware issue because when I plug in an external Dell DVD+-R drive, it also doesn't recognize the discs.

This is really bumming me out. I am in the middle of a project and I can't finish it!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!!

slugrunnerZZ, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner

1. blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner - Similar Threads - blank DVD recognized

2. Written DVD-R detected as a blank DVD-RW by computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Written DVD-R detected as a blank DVD-RW by computer: I recently found an old DVD with a film of an anniversary inside. I tried to put it in the dvd player but it didn't start.I then tried to insert it into my laptop's dvd drive, and indeed the disc is detected.The problem is that my disc is a DVD-R and the computer detects it...
  3. Written DVD-R detected as a blank DVD-RW by computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Written DVD-R detected as a blank DVD-RW by computer: I recently found an old DVD with a film of an anniversary inside. I tried to put it in the dvd player but it didn't start.I then tried to insert it into my laptop's dvd drive, and indeed the disc is detected.The problem is that my disc is a DVD-R and the computer detects it...
  4. windows 10 can read dvd but cant recognize blank dvd-r

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 can read dvd but cant recognize blank dvd-r: I just bought a IDE to SATA converter for my PC to use my old DVD reader from my old windows xp pc to this pc. I haven't used the reader so for like 3 years or so . It was reading all DVD movies and and installation discs. I recently bought a blank DVD-R to burn a windows...
  5. DVD player will not recognize my blank DVD's

DVD player will not recognize my blank DVD's: I have an HP CDDVDW SH-216ALN When I insert a blank DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD-R File Explorer says that there is no disc in the drive. However it will read a CD and a commercial DVD The discs are not faulty since they are all read in my husband's computer without any...
  6. DVD -RW recognizes CDs but thinks there's no disc when DVD in inserted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DVD -RW recognizes CDs but thinks there's no disc when DVD in inserted: I have been facing this problem after updating to Windows version 1903. It continues now after upgrading to version 2004 of May 2020. I have a TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653H optical drive on my DELL Vostro 460 desktop. The drive recognizes all CDs that I had written / rewritten...
  7. DVD Burner not recognizing a dvd when put in

DVD Burner not recognizing a dvd when put in: convertXtoDVD stopped working properly after a couple of updates, removed the updates, but still not working, it says no disk in drive, but when put in it says parsing but does not work, saying disk was ejected by user, but was not ejected, help!...
  8. DVD burner

DVD burner: I have taken videos of family on my go pro, and have purchased windows 10 and office 365 (which you now have to pay for annually) on a new Lenovo laptop and I have no DVD burner soft wear. Are we getting ripped off or what?...
  9. Windows 10 will not recognize a blank dvd in the dvd burner, I'm using an adapter to a USB 3

Windows 10 will not recognize a blank dvd in the dvd burner, I'm using an adapter to a USB 3: Windows 10 will not recognize a blank dvd in the dvd burner, I'm using an adapter to a USB 3. Have de-installed and reinstall, updated drivers, inserted multiple DVDs. and nothing....
  10. DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs

DVD+-RW drive suddenly stopped recognizing blank DVD-R discs: I am running Microsoft 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop that is 2 years old. All software and drivers are current. In the last week I've made about 20 discs with family videos. I ran out of DVDs and bought a spindle of 50 DVDs of the exact same brand/type (SONY DVD-R 120 min/4/7...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 not recognizing blank dvd

2. blank dvd not recognized

3. nero 2018 not recognise dvd writer

4. windows will not detect empty dvd drive and will eject it when inserted,
  5. blank dvd-r not recognized