Windows 10: Blank DVDs not Recognised

Discus and support Blank DVDs not Recognised in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am archiving files to DVD, using Windows 10 and a Lenovo Z51. I'm using an external DVD writer my laptop's own DVD drive hasn't worked properly for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jedzi, Apr 1, 2020.

1. jedzi Win User

Blank DVDs not Recognised

I am archiving files to DVD, using Windows 10 and a Lenovo Z51. I'm using an external DVD writer my laptop's own DVD drive hasn't worked properly for a couple of years.

I am using a new USB external DVD writer. My laptop recognises the DVD writer in Device manager and Disk manager. However, it doesn't show-up as a DVD in Windows Explorer or Imgburn. A few details:

I am using Verbatim DVD -Rs, bought 5 years ago. I've got about 10 left on the spindle. I've not had problems with them before. I have tried using several different DVDs from the spindle. Other things I've tried:

• I can play a pre-recorded DVD ie a movie without a problem.
    • Windows is up to date.
    • I've tried changing the drive letter.
    • Using an old DVD writer - I get the same problem.
    • I've uninstalled & reinstalled the DVD writer from within Device Manager a couple of times - no difference
    • I've tried editing the registry as per various support articles. However, I can't see the Upper / Lower Registry limits that some support articles mention.
    • I tried it on another laptop and I get exactly the same problem.
    • A DVD that I recorded myself a couple of years ago shows up fine.

As I've tried all the normal troubleshooting things and also tried it on different laptops and DVD writers, I've come to the conclusion that the most likely culprit is the DVDs. Is that likely?

:)

jedzi, Apr 1, 2020

2. The DVD drive was not showing not recognised.

Thanks for info.

i have followed steps but still not working.

the DVDs/cd drive is shown in file manager and it shows it to be working correctly but when a cd/ dvd disc is inserted it is still not recognised.

If if I double click on the drive in file manager the disc is ejected and I am asked to insert a disc.

Any further suggestions?

regards

johnwbeasley, May 25, 2020
  3. jedzi Win User

I am archiving files to DVD, using Windows 10 and a Lenovo Z51. I'm using an external DVD writer (my laptop's own DVD drive hasn't worked properly for a couple of years).

I am using a new USB external DVD writer. My laptop recognises the DVD writer in Device manager and Disk manager. However, it doesn't show-up as a DVD in Windows Explorer or Imgburn. A few details:

I am using Verbatim DVD -Rs, bought 5 years ago. I've got about 10 left on the spindle. I've not had problems with them before. I have tried using several different DVDs from the spindle. Other things I've tried:

• I can play a pre-recorded DVD (ie a movie) without a problem.
    • Windows is up to date.
    • I've tried changing the drive letter.
    • Using an old DVD writer - I get the same problem.
    • I've uninstalled & reinstalled the DVD writer from within Device Manager a couple of times - no difference
    • I've tried editing the registry as per various support articles. However, I can't see the Upper / Lower Registry limits that some support articles mention.
    • I tried it on another laptop and I get exactly the same problem.
    • A DVD that I recorded myself a couple of years ago shows up fine.

As I've tried all the normal troubleshooting things and also tried it on different laptops and DVD writers, I've come to the conclusion that the most likely culprit is the DVDs. Is that likely?

jedzi, May 25, 2020
  4. Blank DVDs not Recognised

JohnHambleton, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Blank DVDs not Recognised - Similar Threads - Blank DVDs Recognised

2. CD/DVD Problem. DVDs are recognised but not CDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Problem. DVDs are recognised but not CDs: Can anyone help end my frustration?I recently started ripping my CD collection to FLAC on an external drive, using Windows Media Player, going from ABBA to Zydeco. I got as far as the letter G and tried the Gorillaz CD which turned out to be an enhanced CD which I couldn't...
  3. DVD Drive not recognising Blank DVDs after Windows 10 20H2 Update

DVD Drive not recognising Blank DVDs after Windows 10 20H2 Update: After installing the 20H2 update, I am no longer able to burn DVDs, as Blank disks aren't recognized. Looking at the Properties for the DVD drive in Device Manager, under Events, I can see: Device IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GH22NS50________________TN03____\5&1042348c&0&1.0.0...
  4. Writing DVDs: Problem with Blank DVDs or something else?

Writing DVDs: Problem with Blank DVDs or something else?: I am archiving files to DVD, on Windows 10 & a Lenovo Z51, using an external DVD writer. Windows is up to date. My laptop shows the DVD writer in Device Manager & Disk Manager. However, it doesn't show-up as a drive in Windows Explorer or Imgburn. I am using 5 year old...
  5. playind DVDs'

playind DVDs': Has anyone downloaded a DVD app? If so which one? Has anyone used a USB external DVD player? If so which one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playind-dvds/92674b31-6637-4d99-a7df-ca16f80e88dc
  6. File Explorer in Windows 10 not recognising dvds & cds.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer in Windows 10 not recognising dvds & cds.: When inserting a dvd or cd nothing happens. Disc drive & drivers are working properly but the discs don't show on File Explorer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-in-windows-10-not-recognising-dvds/a8fb5e2e-3d39-4c24-959c-4cd3528ae5b3"
  7. Windows 10 Reads (blank) Audio CDs as DVDs

Windows 10 Reads (blank) Audio CDs as DVDs: When I put a blank audio CD in the CD drive, it says it is a DVD. I am trying to burn a playlist from Windows Media Player onto it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-reads-blank-audio-cds-as-dvds/47846b8f-25c6-4ecc-87ef-22c64f6fcdb9
  8. Playback DVDs

Playback DVDs: My DVD player continues to default to VLC. I don't want VLC. I want Windows Media player. Please, someone, provide me with some advice. Can I make Windows Media Player the default ?...
  9. viewing DVDs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    viewing DVDs: what free DVD player apps work well with Microsoft Edge https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viewing-dvds/3d0b5d97-a951-4800-bb2a-5aff31d40838
  10. DVDs not detected.

DVDs not detected.: Greetings all! Here's the trouble: havin a laptop Acer aspire, my DVD blu ray, is not detected when introducin it, nothin hapen, though the games CDs are normally played. Tried to uninstall the drive and reboot, to no avail. Tried also diferent DVDs for the same...