Windows 10: Blank or Black Screen when Restarting Windows 10

Discus and support Blank or Black Screen when Restarting Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On my wife's laptop which is a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5340, when clicking "Restart" Windows will attempt to restart but will hang at a blank screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rdburke, Aug 15, 2019.

1. rdburke Win User

Blank or Black Screen when Restarting Windows 10

On my wife's laptop which is a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5340, when clicking "Restart" Windows will attempt to restart but will hang at a blank screen before showing the post screen or LOGO. I have let it sit for hours and it does nothing from that point. You then have to use the power button to shut it down and then start it up and it does fine. It is running OS Build 18362.295 and all drivers are up to date. Plenty of room on the HDD and 8 GB of RAM. This does not happen if you choose "Shutdown" from the menu instead of "Restart". I have turned off Fast Restart in Power Options and also used elevated command prompt to make sure it was turned off. Still get same results. I have searched the MS Community Help and there are MANY instances of this problem but I can't seem to find anything that works for me. Can somebody please help with this annoyance? Thanks in advance!
    *Confused

:)

rdburke, Aug 15, 2019
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Aug 15, 2019
  3. KB4497935 CAUSING INFINITE BLACK SCREEN WITH SPINNING CIRCLE

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

Please answer these questions to get additional information for clarity:

1. Are you getting a black screen before signing in to Windows 10?
    2. Are you getting a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10?
    3. Are you getting a black screen with spinning dots after restarting the device?

Some of the common scenarios that can cause a black or blank screen to occur are connection problems with your display, display adapter driver update issues, or issues with recent updates or installations.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to check if that works.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-or-blank-screen-errors

Let us know the result of the steps performed so that we can help you further.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Aug 15, 2019
  4. Blank or Black Screen when Restarting Windows 10

Blank Screen

Hi Virginia,

Conflicts with third-party software and outdated graphic drivers are common contributors to the black screen issue that you're having. To isolate the said issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages before getting a blank screen?
    • Are you experiencing this when using a particular app?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this
    article
    which talks about the steps you can take to resolve blank screen errors.

We'll wait for your response and assist you accordingly.

Angela Pun, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

Blank or Black Screen when Restarting Windows 10

1. Blank or Black Screen when Restarting Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Blank Black Screen

2. Blank/Black Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank/Black Screen: I was updating windows and then ran into a huge problem. When I turn on my PC it looks normal at first. Then it pops up with the a blue screen with time and date. Then I press enter and it goes to the login screen. From there the screen turned black after I try to login. Not...
  3. Blank/Black Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank/Black Screen: I was updating windows and then ran into a huge problem. When I turn on my PC it looks normal at first. Then it pops up with the a blue screen with time and date. Then I press enter and it goes to the login screen. From there the screen turned black after I try to login. Not...
  4. Blank/Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 11: Blank/Black Screen After Memory Diagnostic Restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Blank/Black Screen After Memory Diagnostic Restart: Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me.I downloaded Windows Memory Diagnostics today onto my laptop--Windows 11 HP Spectre 9th Gen i7 with 512g SSD + 32g Optane Memory+ 16 g RAMI was unsure if my Optane Memory was being used.Upon running it and accepting its prompt...
  6. Windows 11: Blank/Black Screen After Memory Diagnostic Restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: Blank/Black Screen After Memory Diagnostic Restart: Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me.I downloaded Windows Memory Diagnostics today onto my laptop--Windows 11 HP Spectre 9th Gen i7 with 512g SSD + 32g Optane Memory+ 16 g RAMI was unsure if my Optane Memory was being used.Upon running it and accepting its prompt...
  7. Windows 10 black/blank screen issue.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 black/blank screen issue.: I was working on my pc and my mouse and trackpad stopped working so I managed to open my browser and search the issue.I stopped the Exeplorer.exe and my mouse started working but my screen and taskbar went blank.Please help...
  8. Black Screen When Restarting to Safe Mode (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen When Restarting to Safe Mode (Windows 10): I need to enter safe mode to use a driver uninstaller as when I use it not in safe mode, it says I need to be in safe mode. So I go to the power, hold shift, and click restart, it takes me to the menus where I go to troubleshoot, advanced, start-up settings, restart. This...
  9. Windows 10 Restarting into Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Restarting into Black Screen: Every restart I perform for an update, whether it involves Windows updating, a software that needs to restart to implement its updates, or a peripheral that needs Windows to update and restart, I always end up at a black screen. I see my motherboard's logo, then Windows 10's...
  10. Blank/black screen as Windows 10 is loading

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank/black screen as Windows 10 is loading: what is that part, or what is windows 10 doing, at the part when you are starting up your laptop and it goes past the cyan screen with the 4 windows and then a blank/black screen appears for 10 seconds or more until you get to the lockscreen wallpaper (with the time on it) or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. restarting windows 10 creates black screen

2. restarting windows causes blank screen

3. windows 10 black screen restarting

4. black screen when restarting windows 10