Windows 10: Blank Right Click menu's and blank popups after Creators update

Discus and support Blank Right Click menu's and blank popups after Creators update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have tried upgrading to Creators several different ways including just letting it upgrade through windows update and clean install. In every case, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lcoolut, May 16, 2017.

1. lcoolut Win User

Blank Right Click menu's and blank popups after Creators update

Have tried upgrading to Creators several different ways including just letting it upgrade through windows update and clean install. In every case, I end up with blank screens for right-click options and popups with be blank with button shells and no text. Explorer is blank as well. I am being forced to use an image to restore my computer because roll back doesn't completely work. 1607 works great but 1703 breaks my computer. When I did a clean install on my new SSD drive, the upgrade worked for about two hours before failing. At that point, the only thing on the drive was Windows and Office 2016. Is there something I am missing and failing that, Is there a way to stop the upgrade so I can keep my computer functional?

:)

lcoolut, May 16, 2017
  2. LCoolidge Win User

Right Click Options, Windows 10 Creators

Upgraded to Windows 10 Creators and the right click menus are all blank. When I right click on the start button, I get the window to popup, but there are no selections. If I right click on the Task Bar, I get a blank popup window. Additionally, when I
    did a Shift/Delete on a desktop icon, I got the window that pops up asking if you want to permanently delete the shortcut but the window was blank with the outlines of two blank buttons. I have rolled back to the prior version of windows and am willing to
    try the install again, but is there anything that can be done to get the menu's back?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

LCoolidge, May 16, 2017
  3. suat.cini Win User
    Desktop Right-Click Popup Menu gone

After installing Insider Preview Build 10547, I have lost the ability to Right-click a blank portion on the desktop and to open a popup menu.

This happens if you right-click the desktop and click View ( or Appearance, my Windows 10 is not English ) on the popup menu that opens, and then uncheck Show desktop items. After that you lose right-click popup menu.

You can right-click on the Taskbar. You can right-click on the start button. You can right-click any icons on the system tray. But you cannot right-click a blank portion on the desktop. This wasn't so in the previous builds, I believe.

Now I cannot revert the changes because the right-click popup menu is gone. And I do not know any other place where I can click Show Desktop Items.

EDIT: I have another desktop with Windows 10 Build 10240. Here I unchecked Show desktop items. But I can still right-click the desktop and popup menu pops up. The following screenshot is from Windows 10 Build 10240.

Blank Right Click menu's and blank popups after Creators update [​IMG]

suat.cini, May 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there are some reports a bit similar to yours, but some of them refer to 3rd party conflicts e.g.
    No text displayed in explorer after Creators Update - Windows 10 Forums

However, you say you see this after a clean install. It could be related to the particular driver version for your graphics card.

If you boot to Safe Mode, does all look well?
    If you have Pro, you can defer feature updates (in this case the Creator's build).
    Otherwise, you'd need to disable Windows updates one way or another.

You mention rollback doesn't work. Could you post a screenshot of Disk Management (with the Anniversary Edition installed)?
    (Use the icon to the left of the video icon above your post).

Also check your disk- e.g. Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot.

dalchina, May 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Blank Right Click menu's and blank popups after Creators update - Similar Threads - Blank Right Click

2. Blank start menu after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank start menu after update: I updated my Windows 10 and now I have blank start menu. I dont know if it caused by the update but that is the only change I made I think. If you have suggestions please go ahead. I have Windows 10 21h1....
  3. Blank start menu after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank start menu after update: I updated my Windows 10 and now I have blank start menu. I dont know if it caused by the update but that is the only change I made I think. If you have suggestions please go ahead. I have Windows 10 21h1....
  4. Blank start menu after update

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Chrome icon double/blank in right-click menu

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome icon double/blank in right-click menu: Hey guys! New here and searched your forums for this issue but found no results so, I decided to make a thread, hoping you could help me out. I have windows 10 pro and have installed Google Chrome browser. When I went to set Chrome as the default browser in the apps section,...
  6. Right-click Explorer Menu for Adobe are blank

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right-click Explorer Menu for Adobe are blank: When I right-click in windows explorer (Windows10) on file(s) I should see menu item(s) from my Adobe std 9 installation such as convert to pdf and combine files but instead there are just blank lines. The functions are still there but the text does not show up. I uninstalled...
  7. Blank password box after creators update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Blank password box after creators update: Dell Optiplex 9020 core i5 4xxx CPU. Windows 10 Pro on a company domain. After about June 13 when Creators Update went in, user gets a blank password box on a blue win10 background wallpaper. Forcing the PC off by holding the power button and restarting will pretty reliably...
  8. Creators Update : Blank login screen after sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creators Update : Blank login screen after sleep mode?: Hi, I've run into a wide variety of similar issues by searching but none specifically like the one I have, so sorry in advance if this has already been mentioned. This problem started after the Creators Update. Anytime my system goes into sleep mode (I'm on a laptop so...
  9. Right click often has blank context menu or partials?

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click often has blank context menu or partials?: I'm running Windows 10 x64.. with very little installed outside of Office 2013 and Visual Studio 2015. Every once in awhile I run into a situation where my right clicks no longer result in a context menu being visable.. at least mostly.. particularly when you right click...
  10. Taskbar elements | right click blank menu (very strange)

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar elements | right click blank menu (very strange): Hello! I am using Windows 10 LTSB [MSDN] (version 1607 with latest updates).I have a strange bag. When I click right button on the program icon and in context menu again right click on the menu item - I get an blank menu. Why is this a strange mistake? Video will bring...