Windows 10: blank screen, active cursor

Discus and support blank screen, active cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; an old friend has phoned me up in a panic and will phone back later for advice. Her 4-year old laptop, running Windows 10 is just showing a black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pawz10, Jul 3, 2016.

1. pawz10 Win User

blank screen, active cursor

an old friend has phoned me up in a panic and will phone back later for advice. Her 4-year old laptop, running Windows 10 is just showing a black screen at start up, with active cursor. We have a Windows 10 laptop here, but I do not use it and am not familiar with the system. I am asking, is there a combination of keys that will refresh the system and which will keep her files? She has all her pics of her late husband on there.

If you cannot help we will have to go get the laptop, take the drive out, recover the pics, and then attempt to reinstall W10, and that too is unchartered territory. Please help if you can.

I have been on the web while waiting for this to be accepted and have learned that pressing Ctrl and then entering password, even though you cannot see anything on the screen, and then pressing Enter, might fix it, for now. I shall pass this info on when she phones me later, but it still isn't a 'proper' solution. I shall also strongly advise her to get an external to copy her pics to....

Ok, that worked, and she is going to get an external. I think it must be a graphics driver problem, so I will probably have the machine here before too long, but for the moment, all is back to where it should be.

:)

pawz10, Jul 3, 2016

2. my screen saver

my screen saver does not automatically activate and I have a blank screen with an active cursor but I have to press Ctrl Alt delete to wake it up and this occurred after a large update

AlanPaul_852, Jul 3, 2016
  3. RickB_464 Win User
    Windows screen saver restore is a blank screen

Once the screen saver is activated - resuming gives a blank screen but the mouse cursor works. I need to Crtl+Alt+Del to trigger screen restoration and cancel the menu. What is needed to restore the screen automatically when resuming work on the PC?

RickB_464, Jul 3, 2016
  4. dencal Win User

Windows icon + I opens Settings.....assuming it appears will give many options.

dencal, Jul 3, 2016
  5. pawz10 Win User
    thank you Dencal, I shall tuck that away for future ref - would it have got her to a visible welcome screen though? Anyway, all sorted for now.

pawz10, Jul 3, 2016
  6. dencal Win User
    Your welcome.

dencal, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. blank screen, active cursor - Similar Threads - blank screen active

2. Windows 10 blank screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 blank screen with cursor: I’ve got a problem with my pc where when it isn’t in winRE I get an infinite boot loop and when I attempt to get into winRE it goes to a blank screen with a cursor. On the boot loop I can’t use my keyboard or mouse, and on the blank screen none of the keyboard commands seem...
  3. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Screen with Cursor after Login: I just installed the most recent cumulative update for Microsoft Windows 10 on my laptop late last week. Since that time, whenever I login it dumps me onto a blank screen with no desktop icons or taskbar, but there is a cursor, and I can run chrome and probably other apps...
  4. Blank Screen with No Cursor at Startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blank Screen with No Cursor at Startup: Hello Everyone, Both my and dad's computer sometimes get stuck while starting and can't even get to the password screen. Sometimes the keyboard works while this happens e.g num lock/caps lock gives light when you press them but the cursor never appears. The fan works like...
  5. Blank screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank screen with cursor after login: Hi all, I'm having a total nightmare and I'm hoping someone can suggest a fix. My main windows account seems to be very broken, when I try to log in I just get a black screen with a cursor. Ctrl + Alt + Del works but if I select task manager I get an hour glass briefly then...
  6. screen turning blank with cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    screen turning blank with cursor: when i factory reset my window 10 in hp stream ,it boots and says preparing windows but after mins it turns into black screen with a cursor....how to fix this error?...
  7. Activation Screen Blank.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation Screen Blank.: As per other thread, there is nothing missing and everything correct as far as this average joe can tell. I have tried to open my paid for Microsoft office and I am getting this error code: 0xc0000022 and then has a help box that takes me to this link......
  8. Activation screen blank

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation screen blank: When I purchased it new it came with windows 8 and a couple of months later there was a free upgrade offer to windows 10. last week I did a factory reset. now I get a notification 2 to 3 times a day that has a light blue screen saying that windows is not activated, go to...
  9. Screen blank at boot no cursor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Screen blank at boot no cursor: When I boot, I get a blank screen (w/o cursor). I tried booting into safe mode without success. Computer is Windows 10 originally. I tried using sfc command. Nothing found. Monitor is working. I removed ssd and replaced with another. I could only restore image with one two...
  10. Help w/ blank screen/cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Help w/ blank screen/cursor: Hello Shortly after upgrading my nVidia drivers to a Windows 10 version (about a week ago), I've been getting the now famous blank screen with a cursor. I can bring up the "Projectors" menu (Winkey + P) but nothing else. I can get into the Troubleshooting boot mode,...