Windows 10: Blank screen after installing Creators Update (NOT spinning circles)

Discus and support Blank screen after installing Creators Update (NOT spinning circles) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; EDIT:// UPDATE! I have solved my issue. What I did was as follows: I used CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open task manager. Once task manager was open, I then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KasaiKoneko, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Blank screen after installing Creators Update (NOT spinning circles)

EDIT:// UPDATE!
    • I have solved my issue. What I did was as follows:
    • I used CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open task manager.
    • Once task manager was open, I then used the Start a new task function to run "msconfig".
    • In "msconfig" I chose to boot into safe mode with networking, and upon restart everything was back, albeit in safe mode and at awful resolutions.
    • While in safe mode, I ran "msconfig" once more and disabled all NON-windows services, then restarted my PC in normal NON-SAFE mode.Everything was back to normal with no services running.
    • From there, I could open up settings, and then go to the Updates section and revert to an earlier build (the build prior to the Creators Update).
    Everything is back to normal now! I hope this helps anyone who ran into the same problem as me.

Basically, I've been running Windows 10 for awhile now. I received the creators update today when I got home from work, and now when I login, I have a blank screen with no taskbar, a blank background, and I can't right click. I can still use my cursor, I get a popup from CAM letting me know my Hue+ has a driver update, and I can use CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open task manager. I have tried running ms-settings to reach the settings menu to no avail. I receive a "The wait operation timed out" error when attempting to do so, so I can't roll back to a previous version.

:)

KasaiKoneko, Apr 14, 2017
  2. Tytus_S Win User

Blank screen after Falls Creator Update, Windows 10 doesn't recognize TV

After Fall Creators Update TV went blank reporting 'Video format not supported'. It works fine on a monitor via HDMI-DVID adapter though.

Rebooting doesn't help

Clean install via Fall Creators Update image from MS webpage also didn't work*. Still blank screen, regardless whether attached to TV directly, or via AV Receiver.

*What is interesting clean install worked just after installation, I was able to login, everything looked fine, then screen went blank after first reboot.

My PC is Intel NUC7i3, all drivers are up to date. TV and AV receiver are 1080p. Everything worked fine on previous versions of Windows 10. Now it works only with a Dell monitor.

How to fix it?

Tytus_S, Apr 14, 2017
  3. dlclark97 Win User
    Blank screen after installing Windows 10

Thanks for asking. Nothing resolved to date. Once in SAFE mode I found a menu that said something like TROUBLESHOOT PC (don't remember exact wording). Clicked on that but ended up nowhere. Also found a 'GO BACK TO PREVIOUS BUILD'. Clicked on that assuming
    it would take me back to the original Windows. So far it has been running over 30 hours saying 'RESTARTING' with the circle of rotating dots. I hesitate to shut it down as I don't know if it is actually doing something worth while. After all the hype about
    the ease of upgrading to Windows 10 I must say I'm not impressed.

dlclark97, Apr 14, 2017
  4. Blank screen after installing Creators Update (NOT spinning circles)

Hellllp! Same issue, except when I click "task manager" it goes blank again. I'm sure it loaded but I def can't see it to follow your directions. Any ideas?

My idrive hasn't backed up for a while...

jesusjones1024, Apr 14, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 14, 2017
  6. Finmark7 Win User
    I would like to give you a million THANK YOU's. I installed the Creators Update and got the black screen too. I searched, and I mean, I searched literally everywhere for solutions but nothing would work, but I found your post and I went to MSConfig (in safe mode), disabled all non-windows services, restart, and my PC was back to normal!

Finmark7, Apr 14, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 14, 2017
  8. Blank screen after installing Creators Update (NOT spinning circles)

I ended up resetting windows from bootdrive. Couldn't see anything but a black and white alt-clt-dlt screen (no taskbar).Definately have a gtx970 so it makes sense that it's an issue with nvidia drivers. If you search twitter this problem is all over so the CU update might actually turn into a fiasco for microsoft.

jesusjones1024, Apr 14, 2017
  9. Stefko Win User
    I have the exact same problem. Nothing happens when I click the task manager. I also can't start it up in safe mode, because it asks me to login to my PC account, which I'm fairly confident does not have a password. I don't use one to log in, and I don't remember ever setting one up.

Stefko, Apr 17, 2017
  10. Kday9 Win User
    I've tried your fix. When in safe mode, windows won't recognize my login password. Is there a default? Workaround?

Kday9, May 7, 2017
  11. phrab Win User
    Thanks for this advice. I do have a Nividia GeForce graphics card. Using Try & Decide on Acronis True Image, I tried to update to Windows Creator, but it still says Version 1607, Build 14393.1198. Then I did a backup (I do it daily) with Macrium Reflect. Good thing because after trying to upgrade today, using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, it took about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Eventually, I ended up with a blank screen, with only a cursor visible. I suspected the Nvidia driver. Fortunately, my backup was able to put me back to normal.

I've upgraded my Nvidia drivers (now 382.33). I will try again tomorrow, after another fresh backup & let you & others know how it goes. I also read in this forum, & followed the advice, to modify the registry to prevent Windows from automatically changing the drivers. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\*SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"="1"

I really appreciate the Ten Forum!!

phrab, Jun 6, 2017
  12. phrab Win User
    6/7/17 Downloaded & installed Nvidia driver 382.33, released 5/21/17
    6/8/17 Again tried to update to Windows Creator update, but still ended up with a blank screen. Fortunately, Macrium Reflect backup put me back to where I was. I guess I need to contact Nvidia or Microsoft.

phrab, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Blank screen after installing Creators Update (NOT spinning circles)

1. Blank screen after installing Creators Update (NOT spinning circles) - Similar Threads - Blank screen installing

2. Spinning circle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spinning circle: How can I stopThe spinning circle https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spinning-circle/399613d1-60c3-488b-8d32-aabc85425233
  3. spinning circle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    spinning circle: when i change my astro headset from voice to game a get a blue circle constantly flashing? how do i fix this ? submitted by /u/ImmaShitMyPants [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lkoq7y/spinning_circle/
  4. Spinning circle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spinning circle: Our family computer has 2 logins. Whenever one of us logs in, the spinning circle comes up after and all the shortcuts on the taskbar are gone. We cannot access the windows taskbar either but the icon is there. The only way it has worked is if I hit CTRL ALT DEL and chose...
  5. Screen is blank after windows spinning circle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen is blank after windows spinning circle: Basically, I boot my computer up. It boots up, the windows logo is on the screen nad everything is fine. But after the spinning circle leaves the screen, the screen is just blank. There's nothing on there, and it stays like that until you switch it off. THINGS I'VE TRIED:...
  6. Spinning Circle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Spinning Circle: I have never had this happen before, but lately every time there is an update, something throws off my entire computer! Printer stops working and now it's been circling for the better part of the day with an update, and security updates! I can't do business like this, and my...
  7. spinning circle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    spinning circle: I am having trouble with videos loading. I get this spinning circle on all sites. I am using windows 10. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spinning-circle/9b88a38c-7abc-4503-a3e4-c2e5d894cb0b
  8. After update: Black screen with spinning loading circle

in Windows 10 Support
    After update: Black screen with spinning loading circle: My laptop did the big update this morning and now for the last couple hours it has been stuck on a black screen with a white spinning circle. What should I do? I'm inexperienced in areas like this and I don't want to ruin my computer. 62640
  9. Windows 10 spinning circle after creators update. Unable to log in.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 spinning circle after creators update. Unable to log in.: Hi everyone, I would be extremely grateful for any help in resolving an issue which has been driving me to the precipice of a breakdown since it happened over a month ago. After allowing windows 10 to install the creator's update, my computer now only reaches the blank...
  10. Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with spinning dots after upgrade to Creators Update: I just upgraded my desktop and laptop to the Windows 10 Creators Update. Everything went well and worked properly, until I installed a cumulative update and tried to reboot... Now all I get is a black screen and the spinning dots (like it's booting up), I can see the mouse...