Windows 10: Blank Screen After Login, Pointer Still Visible

Discus and support Blank Screen After Login, Pointer Still Visible in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, and thanks in advance for any help. I have been trying to help my sister fix her Windows 10 HP desktop computer. The computer may have been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ajaybert, Aug 9, 2019.

1. ajaybert Win User

Blank Screen After Login, Pointer Still Visible

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help.

I have been trying to help my sister fix her Windows 10 HP desktop computer. The computer may have been shutdown improperly, and an update may have been involved, and now it displays a persistent blank screen after she logs in. It seems to boot to the login screen normally, but it is really slow to try to load after the password is entered, and then it goes straight to a black, blank screen. The cursor is visible, and moving the mouse does move the cursor. Her anti-virus software does run, and will pop up in the middle of the screen, but then it goes back to being blank after that window is closed. Control-Alt-Delete does work, but Task Manager does not open when selected. Here is what has been tried so far:

1. Let it run for 12 hours, but no improvement. At some point a dialog box that said Applying Personalized Settings, but it was "Not Responding".

2. Tried rebooting in Safe Mode, but it still went to the blank screen, and Task Manager would still not open.

3. Used a Ubuntu Live DVD to save off all her files that weren't backed up using an external hard drive. The internal hard drive is still alive and was easily accessible through the Live DVD. Backing up the files using Linux was successful.

4. Tried doing a Startup Disk Repair in the WinRE, but no improvement was made.

5. Tried rolling back the latest "Quality" update, but no improvement was made.

6. Tried rolling back the latest "Feature" update, but the action failed, and resetting the computer was recommended by the computer.

7. Tried "Resetting" while keeping her files using the WinRE, but it got to about 60% before that also failed, and said that no changes were made.

Is there anything left besides wiping the hard drive, and starting from scratch using a recovery flash drive or disk? Should I try resetting again by selecting the delete all files option? It doesn't seem like it has the HP Recovery Manager on this computer, or I would try that option.

It is just so frustrating because the computer is working enough to run the anti-virus software, but I cannot access any other utilities or programs. And all the built-in WinRE tools aren't working at all.

Thanks again,

Andrew

:)

ajaybert, Aug 9, 2019
  2. Ztruker Win User

Blank screen after startup, no login, no mouse pointer

What about trying Windows Key + P? Normally it brings up this menu:

Blank Screen After Login, Pointer Still Visible [​IMG]

Try Winkey+P then press Enter?
    Try Winkey+P, down arrow then Enter?

Ztruker, Aug 9, 2019
  3. beardo Win User

Wonder if anyone could help.

Switched on a friend's PC today with Windows 10 fully updated (upgraded from Windows 7 around a month ago), and it loads to where the login screen should be ie after the Windows 10 logo etc, but then the screen is blank. There's no mouse pointer, no login screen, and no monitor error (ie there's a source at least).

I've tried booting in safe mode but I get the exact same problem. Also I've tried just typing in the password to see if the login screen has been moved to a non existent monitor, but that doesn't work either.

Any ideas before I make a recovery USB to take to their house? I'd rather see if it could be fixed without having to scrub off all of their apps.

Thanks Blank Screen After Login, Pointer Still Visible :)

beardo, Aug 9, 2019
  4. Sober0782 Win User

I had the same problem it worked after updating the Bios to the latest version and has started normally every since I hope that helps

Sober0782, Aug 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Blank Screen After Login, Pointer Still Visible - Similar Threads - Blank Screen Login

2. Blank Screen with Cursor after Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Screen with Cursor after Login: I just installed the most recent cumulative update for Microsoft Windows 10 on my laptop late last week. Since that time, whenever I login it dumps me onto a blank screen with no desktop icons or taskbar, but there is a cursor, and I can run chrome and probably other apps...
  3. Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login: Hi,I know many have asked, and I have tried everything I have seen so far. Just bought the PC new, win10 with gtx 1650 graphics. Worked fine for a couple of startups, then message about disk errors followed by boot into normal login screen. This goes into black screen with...
  4. Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login: Hi,I know many have asked, and I have tried everything I have seen so far. Just bought the PC new, win10 with gtx 1650 graphics. Worked fine for a couple of startups, then message about disk errors followed by boot into normal login screen. This goes into black screen with...
  5. Blank screen with mouse pointer after windows login

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Blank screen with cursor after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank screen with cursor after login: Hi all, I'm having a total nightmare and I'm hoping someone can suggest a fix. My main windows account seems to be very broken, when I try to log in I just get a black screen with a cursor. Ctrl + Alt + Del works but if I select task manager I get an hour glass briefly then...
  7. blank screen with pointer after signing in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    blank screen with pointer after signing in: i tried opening task manager to find windows explorer, i couldn’t find it. i then ran explorer.exe and the task bar and everything started flashing. i also got an error which said sihost unknown hard error. i have tried going into safe mode too. i installed my drivers last...
  8. Mouse pointer is not visible on lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Mouse pointer is not visible on lock screen: The mouse pointer is not visible on the lock screen help me out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer-is-not-visible-on-lock-screen/105cc18d-61ee-421e-a2eb-47f8b0c39c95
  9. after login- blank screen with mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after login- blank screen with mouse pointer: I have been using Windows 10 for a couple of years. 5 days ago, while issuing a print, Windows 10 desktop disappeared suddenly. I get a blank screen with mouse pointer. No desktop, no task bar, no start menu. I tried the following options (after reading online) regedit...
  10. Blank screen after startup, no login, no mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank screen after startup, no login, no mouse pointer: Wonder if anyone could help. Switched on a friend's PC today with Windows 10 fully updated (upgraded from Windows 7 around a month ago), and it loads to where the login screen should be ie after the Windows 10 logo etc, but then the screen is blank. There's no mouse...