Windows 10: Blank screen after windows 10 update version 1903 but then "miracle" hard boot - have questions

Discus and support Blank screen after windows 10 update version 1903 but then "miracle" hard boot - have questions in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So, this morning, I did the Windows 10 update Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903. I have a Dell Studio with 2 terabytes and most of that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TinaDubinsky, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Blank screen after windows 10 update version 1903 but then "miracle" hard boot - have questions

So, this morning, I did the Windows 10 update Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903. I have a Dell Studio with 2 terabytes and most of that is free space.

It took about 2 hours to update (glad I didn't have any work to do this morning!).

After it reached 100% and went to the login screen. I signed in but got a blank screen with my cursor on it.

CTRL-ATL-DEL showed that processes were happening but not the most important process, windows explorer exe. It wasn't anywhere to be seen.

So following the virtual assistant I ended up on the page that tells you how to hard boot your PC to get it to go to winRE. I held the button down three times for ten seconds each time before restarting and nothing happened. I decided to try a fourth time and it just went through to the login screen.

So I tried logging in again.

This time, windows.exe must have decided to kick in. But I began getting messages (4 in total) saying an app had stopped working and all the files etc were defaulting back to the default app which was Microsoft Edge. One of these files was a .mov (movie) file?

Windows seems to be working though I haven't given it a full work out yet. I'm worried i'm going to have a similar experience next time I log off and start up again.

So...

1. If Windows exe fails again, is there any other way to get it to startup safe mode like using the keyboard function keys? (I have one of those boot disks and recently used it because I had to get a new driver after my new-old one failed. the old driver was 7 months old, this driver is about a month old.)

2. How do I find out which app had the problem as it didn't say.

:)

TinaDubinsky, Aug 29, 2019

2. Windows 10 blank screen after boot-up....

Anyone have any luck with this ? Windows appears to boot normally until the screen with the little dots on it. Then it goes black , stays that way for a minute and finally logs on. I`ve already googled this and all the answers boil down to two solutions - disable fast startup and change your graphics driver. Neither rly helped for me tho it did seem to be graphics card related.

Awaiting more expert suggestions from TPU !

francis511, Aug 29, 2019
  3. Windows 10 blank screen after boot-up....

reseat your gpu's disable crossfire

eidairaman1, Aug 29, 2019
  4. Raovac Win User

Blank screen after windows 10 update version 1903 but then "miracle" hard boot - have questions

Windows 10 blank screen after boot-up....

This happened to me today because the all mighty windows 10 auto update decided it was time to update my graphics card drivers. *Shadedshun :shadedshu:
    But my black screen only lasted 3 min, any longer and I think I would have thrown the laptop out the window *Roll :roll:

Raovac, Aug 29, 2019
Thema:

Blank screen after windows 10 update version 1903 but then "miracle" hard boot - have questions

1. Blank screen after windows 10 update version 1903 but then "miracle" hard boot - have questions - Similar Threads - Blank screen update

2. Question about Windows 10 version 1903

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows 10 version 1903: My computer was having troubles starting up it took 1 min 37 seconds to get to the login screen, and it had trouble shutting down it would restart unless I disabled fast startup option. It also wouldn't sleep if I choose sleep. It would wake up once in a while, and go back to...
  3. Question about Windows 10 version 1903

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Windows 10 version 1903: My computer was having troubles starting up it took 1 min 37 seconds to get to the login screen, and it had trouble shutting down it would restart unless I disabled fast startup option. It also wouldn't sleep if I choose sleep. It would wake up once in a while, and go back to...
  4. Question about Windows 10 version 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows will not update after Version 1903

Windows will not update after Version 1903: My Windows 10 has not updated since Aug. 21, 2019. The Windows Update says updates has not been checked since 2019.09.16. System specs, state Windows 10 Home, 1903, 18362.356. I keep clicking check and retry every few weeks, but Microsoft or my install doesn't appear to...
  6. Windows 10 Not booting after 1903 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Not booting after 1903 update: Hi, My PC is NUC 54250wykh1. I updated to windows 10 1903 today. After restarting, keyboard and mouse didn't work. (even after changing USB ports) I shutdown PC by pressing physical power button. When I started PC again it wouldn't boot. It showed Intel NUC with circling...
  7. Hard drive failed after updating to windows 10 version 1903

Hard drive failed after updating to windows 10 version 1903: The D drive (internal) failed after updating to windows 10 version 1903 (from 1807). It happened 12 days after the update so I cannot go back to the previous version of windows, the option is available for 10 days after the update. I know for sure windows 10 is the culprit...
  8. Windows 10 version 1903 processor question

Windows 10 version 1903 processor question: Will my Asus Zenbook with the following processor support Windows 10 v1903? - Intel Core M-5Y10c CPU @0.80ghz I see the minimum specification says 1ghz. Does this mean my laptop will be obsolete when support for 1803 runs out?...
  9. Get stuck in booting after update to windows 10 version 1903

Get stuck in booting after update to windows 10 version 1903: Hi Microsoft team, i'm using a acer aspire 3 laptop and the acer is running build 1809 well. i'm the person who is very interested about the updating, either this time, build 1903 was very great but when i shut the laptop down and turn it back on, its stuck in loading screen...
  10. Not booting with blank screen after Windows update

Not booting with blank screen after Windows update: When I turn on my laptop (Acer Aspire ES1-572-31XL) I hear the fans running, hard drive starting, and I see the LED light come on, but I have a completely black screen. When I press F2 or F8 to go into BIOS it doesn't work and I don't see the Acer logo later in it's just...