Windows 10: Blank Screen on startup

Discus and support Blank Screen on startup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm new to this forum, and have searched the FAQs, and looked around a bit to find my issue, but nothing has come up. If this has already been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Brendon, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Brendon Win User

Blank Screen on startup

I'm new to this forum, and have searched the FAQs, and looked around a bit to find my issue, but nothing has come up. If this has already been addressed, my apologies.

I went through the entire, slow, process of upgrading to Win 10 Tech Preview, a couple times they restarted the computer, nothing unusual, and then finally it looked to be finished! I logged in to the lock screen and they asked me to restart the laptop again. This time, after showing the Dell logo it goes straight to a black (blank) screen and doesn't kick out of it.

Anyone know what I can do here?
    Computer is a Dell Latitude ATG D630.

Thank you very much,

:)

Brendon, Feb 1, 2015
  2. Paul VA Win User

Blank Screen Windows 10

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings

and UNCHECK the "Fast Startup" for Windows 10.

The fast startup leaves you in a sleep with blank screen, and to be able to even log in, just hit the startup button quickly.

Paul VA, Feb 1, 2015
  3. Microsoft Edge

Edge presents a totally blank screen at startup. Repair ideas?

DebraDastyck, Feb 1, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Blank Screen on startup

Hey there Brendon, welcome to TenForums! *Smile
    If possible, wait it out for as long as seems reasonable. Don't try to abort right away with a hard shutdown or something like that.
    I've seen PC's takes ages to do an upgrade, including the black screen!
    Also, if it's still going, get 'plugged in', don't rely on battery power and try to get connected by Ethernet cable.
    Some more suggestions may be forthcoming, but start with that til you can diagnose further.

Edwin, Feb 2, 2015
  5. Greetings

I too am stuck at the blue background blank screen (with a cursor that does work), but I think mine may be a different situation.

The thing is, I was able to install Win10 preview on a partition of my hard drive (30 G), and once it was complete, I was taken to the Windows 10 environment - very cool, interesting new features and layout.

However, after I did a restart on the PC, I cannot return to the Win10 environment. Instead I am taken to the aforementioned BBSD (Blank Blue Screen of Death). I am following your advice and letting it run - but now after 15+ minutes, the hard drive has gone silent. Can't understand why it would crap out after the successful install and the fact that the new environment was working fine.

FYI, I can boot to my original OS without issue.

HP Envy 700-410xt
    i7-4790
    8 G/ 1 T
    Windows 8.1

Thanks,
    Jerry in Charlotte

PS - I'm new here as well, but have been an IT pro for 20+ years. I'm looking forward to posting and helping others as I get to know the new OS.

Jerry Palmroos, Feb 18, 2015
  6. Robinb9 Win User
    i have another post here with same problem, but it seems to happen only on a cold boot, today it did not happen, yesterday it did- duh

Robinb9, Feb 18, 2015
  7. Found my solution (duh!). I have 2 monitors, one of which is shared. The shared monitor was occupied by another PC, so I was only using one monitor. When Win10 launched, for some reason it detected the 2nd monitor, and decided that was the Primary. As such, the monitor that I used for installation gave the blank blue screen. Once I activated the 2nd monitor, I was good to go.

Cheers!
    Jerry in Charlotte

Jerry Palmroos, Feb 18, 2015
  8. Robinb9 Win User

Blank Screen on startup

only one monitor here so that does not work for me

Robinb9, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Blank Screen on startup

1. Blank Screen on startup - Similar Threads - Blank Screen startup

2. Blank Blue Screen on Startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blank Blue Screen on Startup: Whenever I power on my laptop, I get the developer logo Dell for a few seconds and then I’m greeted by a blank blue screen. That lasts for maybe 30 seconds before my laptop shuts itself down. My mouse isn’t visible at all during this process and my keyboard doesn’t seem to do...
  3. Startup menu blank

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startup menu blank: Am not able to see any startup apps. I really want to add one. Also i tried shell:startup and it doesnt workRunning Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-menu-blank/5b10e932-43b9-43ed-a6e5-6d32d100d3ab
  4. Blank Screen with No Cursor at Startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blank Screen with No Cursor at Startup: Hello Everyone, Both my and dad's computer sometimes get stuck while starting and can't even get to the password screen. Sometimes the keyboard works while this happens e.g num lock/caps lock gives light when you press them but the cursor never appears. The fan works like...
  5. Blank Screen on Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank Screen on Startup: Hello all - I don’t know if this is a hardware issue or windows 10 issue. The whole system is brand new I’ve used it for 3 days. However, every time I reset the PC or start it up fresh it shows the bios, the windows logo and then goes to a black screen. Every. Single. Time....
  6. Windows 10 startup blank screen, NO cursor, NO recovery.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 startup blank screen, NO cursor, NO recovery.: I've been using an Asus Vivobook K5 series laptop for over 2 years. A few days ago, I started seeing a blank screen after the Asus logo Windows logo for other laptops with the circling dots. This blank screen would go away and I would see my login screen with smooth running...
  7. Keep getting Blank/Black screen on Destop startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keep getting Blank/Black screen on Destop startup: I have Window 10 v 1909 2 installed on my Desktop and have to use the small reset button once or twice to get to my login page after I use the start button. I've tried all the fixes for blank/black screen fixes Ctrl+ Alt+ Del, etc. a few times but nothing works. I even did...
  8. Windows 10: Startup Screen; buttons are blank

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10: Startup Screen; buttons are blank: Every time Windows updates my laptop I lose the identification of the icons (or buttons) on the 'Startup Screen'. Let me also explain the problem in another manner. It seems that whenever I receive an update, whenever I have to reboot and I click on the Windows icon...
  9. Blank screen after logo at startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blank screen after logo at startup: Hi, I have a Lenovo Flex 2 15 Model 20405. Yesterday, I decided to reformat my laptop to Windows 10. On the near end of the installation, it prompted me to restart the computer (it restarted itself after 10 seconds), but after the Lenovo splash screen, I get a blank black...
  10. Windows 10 blank screen with cursor on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 blank screen with cursor on startup: Hello, my pc has recently failed a windows software update and cannot boot into the OS. I have looked up this problem and tried many solutions but so far nothing has worked. The only thing I haven't tried is Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) simply because I have no idea...