Windows 10: Blank Screen on Wake With Secondary Monitor

Discus and support Blank Screen on Wake With Secondary Monitor in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm having this issue intermittently where upon startup my laptop screen doesn't wake but my secondary monitor wakes up and is fully... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Steven VNB, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Blank Screen on Wake With Secondary Monitor

Hi everyone,

I'm having this issue intermittently where upon startup my laptop screen doesn't wake but my secondary monitor wakes up and is fully functionable. If I restart my computer with my monitor attached by HDMI the problem remains. If I unplug the monitor and do a hard shut down, then restart and plug the monitor back in it works just fine. Wondering if there is a solution to this as at least a few times a week I'm having to got through the process of shutting down, unplugging the the monitor, restarting, then plugging the monitor back in. This is both annoying and time consuming.

I'm running Windows 10 version 10.0.1942 Build 19042 on a Zenbook UX533FN. Bios and video drivers are latest versions. I don't remember when the issue started but it's been going on for a few months now.

Thanks,

Steven

:)

Steven VNB, Mar 13, 2021

2. Unable to interact with the content on the secondary monitor

I have three monitors plugged into a evga GTX 1060 ACX 2.0, the system is running latest Windows 10 pro.

Every night I put the computer to sleep. Occasionally, and more frequently the past week, I wake the computer in the morning to find very strange behavior:

• Whatever monitor is my main display works perfectly
    • Secondary monitors turn on and show the last content they had (any open browsers, programs, etc)
    • I can move my mouse into the secondary screens and see it moving around just fine
    • When I click or do any kind of interaction on those screen, the visuals do not update (again, mouse around moving is fine)
      • Click a window, the window focus never shows; scroll or press a button on a website, doesn't show any changes; click the Windows button, menu doesn't open
    • However, I can still interact with the screens despite not being able to see what I'm changing
      • Drag a window off the screen and it magically appears on the main display; press the 1-Click buy on an Amazon item, receive it 2-5 business days later
    • Changing the main display changes the screen I can interact with
    • Mucking with the resolution of the secondary monitors does not fix the issue but it does update their visuals
    • Display driver details:
      • Date: 2018-11-12
      • Version: 25.21.14.1694
    • I am in the process of downloading NVidia 2019 drivers to see if that helps

The only fix I've found so far (with my limited experience debugging display issues) is restarting the computer. Help!

***Modified title from: Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows***

sean.hudson, Mar 13, 2021
  3. Kzamora13 Win User
    Secondary monitor showing blank(black) screen after updating to 1709

I have a dual monitor setup that was previously working prior to updating to 1709. My main monitor is an ASUS VG248QE using display port. This monitor is working fine. My secondary monitor is an old NEC LCD 1920 NX monitor using DVI cable. Both are
    plugged into my GPU NVidia Geforce GTX 660.

Problem: My secondary monitor has a black screen while my main asus monitor is fine. The indicator light on the secondary monitor is green (indicating that signal is present). Also when going into display settings it shows that the monitor is detected and
    it has its recommended resolution settings. My computer thinks its on and working. Sometimes things get opened up on the other monitor, but I can see it bc all i see is a black/blank screen. This all occurred after updating to 1709 creaters update.

I already reinstalled my display drivers. I even tried restoring back to 1703 but the problem persisted. I then updated back to 1709 and problem still persisted.

Has anyone had similar problem and found solution ?

Kzamora13, Mar 13, 2021
  4. kodex Win User

Blank Screen on Wake With Secondary Monitor

Screen goes blank after changing BIOS settings/

I don't know how long this has been happening, a few weeks at least, but whenever I change a setting in my BIOS (and save & exit), my screen goes blank and my monitor goes into standby. Any suggestions to fix this?

kodex, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

Blank Screen on Wake With Secondary Monitor

1. Blank Screen on Wake With Secondary Monitor - Similar Threads - Blank Screen Wake

2. Touch screen connected as secondary monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touch screen connected as secondary monitor.: Touch screen connected as secondary monitor when needed !And always my primary monitor sets as touch screen.Any possibilities to change this -> To set up specific monitor with touch support be as touch screen forever?Always i do when I need secondary monitor:I connecting...
  3. Touch screen connected as secondary monitor.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touch screen connected as secondary monitor.: Touch screen connected as secondary monitor when needed !And always my primary monitor sets as touch screen.Any possibilities to change this -> To set up specific monitor with touch support be as touch screen forever?Always i do when I need secondary monitor:I connecting...
  4. Secondary Monitor Screen cut-off at the edges

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secondary Monitor Screen cut-off at the edges: Hi,When I try to connect my laptop to an Acer 4K display as secondary screen, I see that the edges of the secondary display is cut-off.My laptop supports up t 1080p and monitor supports 4K. I wanted to use both the screen at their maximum resolution.Tried all the solutions...
  5. Secondary Monitor Screen cut-off at the edges

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary Monitor Screen cut-off at the edges: Hi,When I try to connect my laptop to an Acer 4K display as secondary screen, I see that the edges of the secondary display is cut-off.My laptop supports up t 1080p and monitor supports 4K. I wanted to use both the screen at their maximum resolution.Tried all the solutions...
  6. Dual Monitors Taskbar Problem - Taskbar moves from secondary to primary monitor on wake

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Monitors Taskbar Problem - Taskbar moves from secondary to primary monitor on wake: I'm running dual monitors (1440p main, 1080p secondary) and I want my taskbar positioned on my secondary monitor. After the computer wakes up from sleeping the taskbar is always repositioned back to the primary monitor. 1) I will not reassign my 1440p main display to be the...
  7. Secondary Monitor Not displaying black screen

Secondary Monitor Not displaying black screen: I have two monitors , both using Display port . The right one black screen is on and detected but isn't displaying anything , cursor disappears like it should but cannot see it or anything else . It is also in vertical orientation any clues to fixing it ?...
  8. Samsung S24D300 secondary monitor black screen

Samsung S24D300 secondary monitor black screen: Hello, Two months ago I got a secondary monitor (Samsung S24D300) for my laptop (Toshiba Satellite c55). Setup was a breeze, and I had everything up and running right away. I have had no problems until this morning, when I sat down at my computer this morning, and found...
  9. Secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Secondary monitor: Recently I bought a slightly larger monitor and planned to use the older one as a secondary monitor. I went in via 'Display Settings' but have managed to screw things up and I've ended up making this smaller monitor the primary one. How might I reverse this and thus make the...
  10. Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen on boot but only on secondary monitors: Brand new guy with a question: I have a Dell Inspiron 13 connected via a Kensington SD 4000 dock to two external monitors. When I am in my office, the laptop is connected to the dock, and the lid is closed. Everything works fine, EXCEPT when I restart (or just...