Windows 10: Blank Screen - Power On

Discus and support Blank Screen - Power On in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Almost every day for about the past 10 days my machine will become totally unavailable. All I'll see is a blank display, yet the power light is on. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by js0873, Mar 12, 2019.

1. js0873 Win User

Blank Screen - Power On

Almost every day for about the past 10 days my machine will become totally unavailable. All I'll see is a blank display, yet the power light is on. I have a remote connect tool (ScreenConnect) and it'll show the machine as offline, so it's not a graphics display issue. When I examine the event logs there's nothing much to go on, and this lockup or whatever it is happens at various times of the night (4 AM, 8 PM, etc.). The last entry each time in the event log has been this "critical" error:

The NLS operation failed because the registry key Control Panel\International\User Profile cannot be opened. Error code is 2. Error message: The system cannot find the file specified.

It's listed as critical, but I see those happening a lot in my logs at all times of the day.

The machine has never gone down while I'm active on it, or ever during the day even when I'm not consistently on it, like for an hour or more. It's always after what would be an extended time of basic inactivity.

Any ideas?

:)

js0873, Mar 12, 2019

2. Blank Screen

Hi Virginia,

Conflicts with third-party software and outdated graphic drivers are common contributors to the black screen issue that you're having. To isolate the said issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages before getting a blank screen?
    • Are you experiencing this when using a particular app?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this
    article
    which talks about the steps you can take to resolve blank screen errors.

We'll wait for your response and assist you accordingly.

Angela Pun, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Blank Screen - Power On

Windows 10 blank screen

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to perform a Power Drain by following the steps provided below and check.

• Hold the power button down 20-30 seconds.
    • Hold the volume rocker up and power on for almost 15 seconds.
    • After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.
    • Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.

After performing a Power Drain, perform Startup Repair by following the steps provided below:

• Go to the Microsoft software download website and create Windows 10
      installation media.
    • Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
    • On the Install Windows screen, select
      Repair your computer.
    • On the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot>Advanced Options.
    • Click on Startup Repair.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Blank Screen - Power On

1. Blank Screen - Power On - Similar Threads - Blank Screen Power

2. Black/blank screen after power down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black/blank screen after power down: I tried to boot my Windows 10 AIO to Windows 11 using a USB stick. I got an error message saying something had gone wrong and we would reboot. Nothing happened so I powered down and removed the USB. I tried to reboot and there was/is nothing. No colour, no cursor, no beeps...
  3. Black/blank screen after power down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black/blank screen after power down: I tried to boot my Windows 10 AIO to Windows 11 using a USB stick. I got an error message saying something had gone wrong and we would reboot. Nothing happened so I powered down and removed the USB. I tried to reboot and there was/is nothing. No colour, no cursor, no beeps...
  4. Black/blank screen after power down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!: The screen stays blank after power on. I can log in blindly, as I get the startup sound and a beep when resetting graphics drivers.Previously the screen turning on was intermittent, so I tried a virus scan, troubleshooting tools, graphics driver updates/reinstalls and finally...
  6. Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!

Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!: The screen stays blank after power on. I can log in blindly, as I get the startup sound and a beep when resetting graphics drivers.Previously the screen turning on was intermittent, so I tried a virus scan, troubleshooting tools, graphics driver updates/reinstalls and finally...
  7. Blank screen on power on, resisting troubleshooting!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Start screen stays blank when power up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start screen stays blank when power up: Windows 11 download a update yesterday when I powered on today screen stayed blank any ideas how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-screen-stays-blank-when-power-up/da51f59a-aebc-4a79-907e-0b89f7e2a795
  9. Start screen stays blank when power up

Start screen stays blank when power up: Windows 11 download a update yesterday when I powered on today screen stayed blank any ideas how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-screen-stays-blank-when-power-up/da51f59a-aebc-4a79-907e-0b89f7e2a795
  10. Windows going to a lit blank/black screen after power on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows going to a lit blank/black screen after power on: Hello, I am having an issue with my laptop, Packard Bell ETV11HC. When I turn it on it goes to a blank blank black screen, when I press ctrl alt del it restarts to the same thing. I'm on dual boot and my Linux is working fine. How do I fix this. The last it worked was today...