Windows 10: Blank screen with flashing underscore

Discus and support Blank screen with flashing underscore in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Had this laptop since 2012. Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 back when it was free in 2016. My laptop sat with a dead battery for some time and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AjayMattu, May 18, 2020.

1. AjayMattu Win User

Blank screen with flashing underscore

Had this laptop since 2012. Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 back when it was free in 2016. My laptop sat with a dead battery for some time and recently I tried to start it and a message "Boot from AHCI CD-ROM:". I am not a techy guy so I followed some online advice and changed the boot order from the BIOS menu thing. Put HDD first and CD second. Now all that comes up is a flashing underscore with no message.

I would like to keep windows 10 and my files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

AjayMattu, May 18, 2020

2. Blank Screen

Hi Virginia,

Conflicts with third-party software and outdated graphic drivers are common contributors to the black screen issue that you're having. To isolate the said issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages before getting a blank screen?
    • Are you experiencing this when using a particular app?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this
    article
    which talks about the steps you can take to resolve blank screen errors.

We'll wait for your response and assist you accordingly.

Angela Pun, May 23, 2020
  3. TarynR Win User
    Black screen with flashing underscore

I no longer get the Lenovo logo; now I get the boot text... which shows "Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.1"

Tried holding the Off button, twice, after the initial text, and after "mouse initialization"; nothing changed.

If I interrupt with the Enter key, it shows the Startup Interrupt Menu, listing "Esc to resume normal startup" "F1 to enter BIOS Setup Utility", "F11 to diagnose hardware or recover your system" and F12 to choose a temporary startup device.

F11 takes me back to the flashing underscore, and nowhere to recover the system.

F1 takes me to -Config, -Date/Time, -Security, -Startup, -Restart or HDD diagnostic program.

Interestingly, that same page shows BIOS version 2.05 (80ET65WW), dated 2013-03-25, not the Phoenix BIOS.

The HDD diagnostic takes a while to run, but shows no problems.

So I probably have to try and get Lenono's help on the BIOS; will that be something I can copy to a disc that will write itself into the laptop?

Thanks!

TarynR, May 23, 2020
  4. Ringbeep2 Win User

Underscore problems on the E63

Thanks for that suggestion. Yes I have tried that and it

OK. It seems like I need to do a step by step:

Menu > Installations > Messenger > Open Messenger try to type in my domain name which includes an underscore that I am unable to type. I've tried pressing the Ctrl, Chr, button with the grey and white triangle, with the 'K' which has a dash, and by pressing
    them on there own. Nothing.

Ringbeep2, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Blank screen with flashing underscore - Similar Threads - Blank screen flashing

2. My pc is showing blank screen with underscore blinking what to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc is showing blank screen with underscore blinking what to do: I have my Acer power series pc 2gb ram 64 bit and I have windows 7. Yesterday when I upgraded my pc into windows 10 using Microsoft official website and downloaded windows 10 iso file and then when the upgrade was done it was all right all was okay all was working fine about...
  3. My pc is showing blank screen with underscore blinking what to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My pc is showing blank screen with underscore blinking what to do: I have my Acer power series pc 2gb ram 64 bit and I have windows 7. Yesterday when I upgraded my pc into windows 10 using Microsoft official website and downloaded windows 10 iso file and then when the upgrade was done it was all right all was okay all was working fine about...
  4. My pc is showing blank screen with underscore blinking what to do

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Dell boot device options screen only flashing underscore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell boot device options screen only flashing underscore: So I was trying to boot off of my usb to run Ubuntu off of it, but I pressed F12 and there was only a flashing underscore on the top left hand corner of the screen. I waited for a few minutes and nothing appeared. Please help!...
  6. Dell boot device options screen only flashing underscore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell boot device options screen only flashing underscore: So I was trying to boot off of my usb to run Ubuntu off of it, but I pressed F12 and there was only a flashing underscore on the top left hand corner of the screen. I waited for a few minutes and nothing appeared. Please help!...
  7. Flashing underscore on boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flashing underscore on boot: So I've recently had some problems on rootkits,bootkits,malware,etc. Some weird stuff was happening, so I took my laptop to micro center for a diagnostic. the results came back, and apparently the "hard drive failed". I bought a new nvme m.2 1 tb ssd and replaced the old...
  8. black screen with white flashing underscore in top left corner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    black screen with white flashing underscore in top left corner: Hello! this morning I turned on my pc as usual, but after briefly seeing the HP logo for about half a second, the screen goes black, and a white underscore begins to flash in the top left corner. I tried turning it off and unplugging it, and then restarting, but it does...
  9. Black screen with flashing underscore Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with flashing underscore Windows 10: I started having this problem a few days ago, during a windows update my PC restarted and when I tried to turn it back on I was met with a black screen with a blinking underscore on the top left of the screen. I tried to reboot in safe mode multiple times but I got the same...
  10. Blank Cmd box flashing on screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Blank Cmd box flashing on screen: Tried everything I know - still flashing every min or so... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-cmd-box-flashing-on-screen/1a2c5e13-0272-4b51-b376-21e2dd4ecf6a