Windows 10: Bloatware Removal Script

Discus and support Bloatware Removal Script in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm working on a PowerShell script to work with Windows 10 Enterprise and my imaging tools with the intent of creating a Windows 10 image for my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Beerdini, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Beerdini Win User

Bloatware Removal Script

I'm working on a PowerShell script to work with Windows 10 Enterprise and my imaging tools with the intent of creating a Windows 10 image for my workplace, and remove the bloatware that comes preinstalled. For example, I can't figure out why Microsoft thinks that access to a user's Xbox Live account is required on the Enterprise (business oriented) build of a system, yet they don't make an easy way to remove this and the other bloatware applications. What I am running into at this point is that my script gets executed as my installation user and only applies to that user, where I believe that I am using the switches that are supposed to make it apply to AllUsers. The goal is to have the script run once at imaging/installation and any user can then sign in and they won't see the extra bloatware apps that we deemed are inappropriate to our workplace.

My script is as follows:
    Import-Module Appx
    Import-Module Dism
    Get-AppxPackage *xbox* -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

*Note the Get-AppxPackage line is repeated 20 some times for different packages such as *3d*, *officehub*, *skypeapp*, etc...)

Again, what is happening right now is that the script gets executed but only gets applied to the current user where as the script shows with the -AllUsers it is intended to apply to any account. I'm not a PowerShell scripting expert and would appreciate any pointers as to what I am missing to make this apply so that I can sign in with any other account to the clean interface that I am trying to configure without having to run this script for each of my user accounts. Thanks!

:)

Beerdini, Oct 25, 2015

2. Bloatware removal

you actually own a computer?

katlynmillea, Oct 25, 2015
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    Bloatware removal

Hi,

To uninstall the built-in applications that came with Windows 10, follow these steps:

• Type Settings in Cortana search and press
      Enter
    • Click System and select Apps & features.
    • Click the application you want to uninstall, then select Uninstall.

As an alternative, you can uninstall them using the Powershell with Administrator rights. Type
    Powershell in Cortana search and right-click the application, then select
    Run as Administrator. Type each application command to remove the following:

Uninstall 3D Builder:

Get-AppxPackage *3dbuilder*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Alarms and Clock:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsalarms*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Calculator:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscalculator*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Calendar and Mail:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Camera:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscamera*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Office:

Get-AppxPackage *officehub*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Skype:

Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Started:

Get-AppxPackage *getstarted*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Groove Music:

Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Maps:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsmaps*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Microsoft Solitaire Collection:

Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Money:

Get-AppxPackage *bingfinance*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Movies & TV:

Get-AppxPackage *zunevideo*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall News:

Get-AppxPackage *bingnews*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall OneNote:

Get-AppxPackage *onenote*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall People:

Get-AppxPackage *people*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Phone Companion:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsphone*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Photos:

Get-AppxPackage *photos*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Store:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Sports:

Get-AppxPackage *bingsports*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Voice Recorder:

Get-AppxPackage *soundrecorder*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Weather:

Get-AppxPackage *bingweather*

Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Xbox:

Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp*

Remove-AppxPackage

The following applications can't be uninstalled:

• Contact Support
    • Cortana
    • Microsoft Edge
    • Windows Feedback

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Erika Aro, Oct 25, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Bloatware Removal Script

Hello!

Not trying to be smart here, but I read in this post that you can load Windows 10 in "audit mode". If you do any changes there, like removing unwanted apps, that should apply for all users, but not sure and cannot confirm that. Read the post and you may understand more than I do and I hope you'll find a way to automate what you want.

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  5. Beerdini Win User
    Audit Mode is a step in my imaging process where I'm attempting to run this script, which processes and the additional applications vanish from the Administrator account which is running Audit Mode. What is happening is that after I exit audit mode and make my image for deployment, after the image is pulled to the machine the Administrator account continues to have the appropriate applications removed, but any other account that I sign in as, my own or the user who will be using the system, has all of the apps that were removed from under Administrator.

At this point I have a script that based on my understanding is supposed to be applying to all users that is only applying to the current account which at this point if I were to deploy systems would require having to make sure that the script gets run on first login for anyone that signs into the system. I'm not a fan of complex scripting and would prefer to have it run once before we deploy a system rather than on an individual basis for 20+ users in some cases.

Beerdini, Oct 25, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    How do you get into Audit Mode??

7. spapakons Win User
    Well, audit mode uses the default Administrator Account. To apply for all users, you should make these changes pass to the default user (the profile copied each time a new user is created). I don't know how you could do that. Anyone else?

spapakons, Oct 26, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

Bloatware Removal Script

You have the -AllUsers bit in red below which should remove it from the default profile.

I also delete the AppXProvisionedPackage and from %appdata% and WindowsApps (in green) as well... Perhaps that would help.
    Code: $apps = @( "Microsoft.3DBuilder" "Microsoft.Appconnector" "Microsoft.BingFinance" "Microsoft.BingNews" "Microsoft.BingSports" "Microsoft.BingWeather" "Microsoft.Getstarted" "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" "Microsoft.Office.OneNote" "Microsoft.People" "Microsoft.SkypeApp" "Microsoft.Windows.Phone" "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms" #"Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" "Microsoft.WindowsCamera" "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" "Microsoft.WindowsPhone" "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder" #"Microsoft.WindowsStore" "Microsoft.XboxApp" "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" "Microsoft.ZuneVideo" "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps" "Microsoft.MinecraftUWP" ) foreach ($app in $apps) { Write-Host "Removing " -noNewLine; Write-Host $app -f white # Need to hide the progress bar as otherwise it remains on the screen $ProgressPreference = "SilentlyContinue" Get-AppxPackage -Name $app -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage $ProgressPreference = "Continue" Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -EQ $app | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online $appPath="$EnvBloatware Removal Script :programFiles\WindowsApps\$app*" Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0 $appPath="$Env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\$app*" Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0 }[/quote] You could look in this tutorial for sysprep - there are some problems with copy profile at the moment I think.

Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Windows 10 Forums

9. madhusker Win User
    Is this script working well? This would be amazing if I could comment out what I don't want removed and just run it. I haven't found anything like this anywhere on the net so please let me know.

madhusker, Aug 25, 2017
  10. lx07 Win User
    It works well for me - I still use it.

I've added more apps as they have been added and just comment out the ones I want to keep.

Code: $apps= @( "4DF9E0F8.Netflix" "9E2F88E3.Twitter" "A278AB0D.MarchofEmpires" "ClearChannelRadioDigital.iHeartRadio" "D52A8D61.FarmVille2CountryEscape" "Facebook.Facebook" "Flipboard.Flipboard" "KeeperSecurityInc.Keeper" "king.com.CandyCrushSaga" "king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga" "king.com.ParadiseBay" "HoloCamera" "HoloItemPlayerApp" "HoloShell" "Microsoft.3DBuilder" "Microsoft.Appconnector" "Microsoft.BingFinance" "Microsoft.BingNews" "Microsoft.BingSports" #"Microsoft.BingWeather" "Microsoft.ConnectivityStore" "Microsoft.CommsPhone" "Microsoft.Getstarted" "Microsoft.Messaging" "Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer" "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub" "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection" "Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes" "Microsoft.MSPaint" "Microsoft.Office.OneConnect" #"Microsoft.Office.OneNote" "Microsoft.Office.Sway" "Microsoft.OneConnect" "Microsoft.People" "Microsoft.SkypeApp" "Microsoft.Windows.Phone" #"Microsoft.Windows.Photos" "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms" #"Microsoft.WindowsCalculator" #"Microsoft.WindowsCamera" #"Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackApp" "Microsoft.WindowsMaps" "Microsoft.WindowsPhone" "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder" #"Microsoft.WindowsStore" "Microsoft.XboxApp" "Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay" "Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay" "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" "Microsoft.ZuneVideo" #"microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps" "Microsoft.MinecraftUWP" "PandoraMediaInc.29680B314EFC2" "SlingTVLLC.SlingTV" "ShazamEntertainmentLtd.Shazam" "Windows.MircastView" ) Write-Host "Removing default apps" -f yellow ForEach ($app in $apps) { Write-Host "Removing " -noNewLine; Write-Host $app -f white # Need to hide the progress bar as otherwise it remains on the screen $ProgressPreference="SilentlyContinue" Get-AppxPackage -Name $app -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage $ProgressPreference="Continue" Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -EQ $app | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online $appPath="$Env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\$app*" Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0 }[/quote] It was based on this project GitHub - W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10: A collection of Scripts which disable / remove Windows 10 Features and Apps

Thema:

Bloatware Removal Script

1. Bloatware Removal Script - Similar Threads - Bloatware Removal Script

2. Bloatware Removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bloatware Removal: Hello,Recently with the latest builds of both Windows 10 and Windows 11 we have found that the Solitaire and other bloatware programs are not being removed properly. I was wondering if there was a way to easily remove the bloatware and any tips from those who have removed the...
  3. Bloatware Removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bloatware Removal: Hello,Recently with the latest builds of both Windows 10 and Windows 11 we have found that the Solitaire and other bloatware programs are not being removed properly. I was wondering if there was a way to easily remove the bloatware and any tips from those who have removed the...
  4. Bloatware removal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bloatware removal: what programs can I uninstall safely from my HP desktop computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bloatware-removal/b5090ebc-9ca7-4c50-9b94-c94367859558
  5. Bloatware removal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bloatware removal: what programs can I uninstall safely from my HP desktop computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bloatware-removal/b5090ebc-9ca7-4c50-9b94-c94367859558
  6. Removing Bloatware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing Bloatware: Hi I have just bought a new laptop and want to remove Bloatware. What is the best method? I have heard resetting the PC and removing everything is the best way and then using Revo uninstaller after that? However, will I need to do anything else? I have seen people say...
  7. Removing Bloatware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing Bloatware: Hi, I recently got a new MSI gaming laptop, but all of the Bloatware is annoying. I'd rather not have Candy Crush on my computer, or LinkedIn. Any system/script that can allow me to remove this annoying Bloatware? Thanks! submitted by /u/MrColby [link] [comments]...
  8. removing bloatware 1809??

in Windows 10 Customization
    removing bloatware 1809??: which is the safe way to remove windows 10 bloatware?? what about using the CCleaner? I want all them out of my OS..!!! why? because I don't use them ..!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-bloatware-1809/1e10c28a-9a0b-403e-8553-d4451fbe104e
  9. Removing bloatware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Removing bloatware: Can I run the Power Shell line: "C:\Windows\System32>get-appxpackage *3dbuilder* | remove-appxpackage" from a .Bat file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-bloatware/0efd9413-0bcf-41a6-a22b-9139929c0f67
  10. Remove\prevent bloatware from Store

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove\prevent bloatware from Store: Hi, While in Sysprep audit mode what is the cleanest way to remove the bloatware that MS inists upon installing from the Store? I have seen a few different scripts and the goal is to remove this crap and prevent it from returning. So assuming there is a good way of doing...