Windows 10: Block apps from accessing internet by default...

Discus and support Block apps from accessing internet by default... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Good day guys, I have decided to use my computer with Windows Defender as the security solution. I would like to keep my system as lean and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Block apps from accessing internet by default...

Good day guys,

I have decided to use my computer with Windows Defender as the security solution. I would like to keep my system as lean and lightweight, as is possible. But Windows Firewall is little complicated. And given that I am from a non-technical background, I don't want to tinker with it too much.

By default, I would like to block any program I install from accessing the internet, and only permit access as I think is necessary. For example, a video player I may download has no need to access internet for my use. I will manually check for updates as and when necessary.

When searching online, I found this:

https://sites.google.com/site/mytoo...-multiple-programs-through-windows-7-firewall

This link contains a batch file that, when run as an administrator, will automatically block all .exe and .dll files within the folder as well as sub-folders where this batch file is located from accessing the internet. Very nice utility.

This is what I plan to do:

Except for the most important programs and those than need internet to work, I plan to install all other softwares in a separate folder called 'Programs' inside the C: drive. This folder will contain this batch file.

Here are my queries:

1. Is this batch file safe to run?

2. Do I need to run this batch file every time I install a program?

3. Will each run duplicate the previously created entries in Windows Firewall?

4. Will this slow down my system? As a test case, I installed just one program - VLC, and this batch file created well over 300 entries in Windows Firewall!

5. Does this batch file completely block all internet connections? I tried to check for updates from within VLC, and it failed.

6. How do I block apps that I download from Microsoft Store?

Thanks very much in advance.

:)

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Jun 11, 2020

2. Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the default apps on your computer, let us try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the default apps for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 11, 2020
  3. Block Internet Access

I'm using Windows Phone 8.1 denim edition. I want to block all the internet access to my windows phone.

Tried Kids' corner,but that can be easily skipped.even a phone call returns the main start screen.

I need an idea how to block internet access.Are there any suggestions?

Eranga Hansaja, Jun 11, 2020
  4. Block apps from accessing internet by default...

Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

Block apps from accessing internet by default...

1. Block apps from accessing internet by default... - Similar Threads - Block apps accessing

2. Internet access is blocked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet access is blocked: I have been using only windows defender and never install any 3rd party antivirus to my pc.I tried troubleshooting the issue and got an issue from BD Provider which I have no clue about....
  3. Internet access is blocked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet access is blocked: I have been using only windows defender and never install any 3rd party antivirus to my pc.I tried troubleshooting the issue and got an issue from BD Provider which I have no clue about....
  4. Internet access is blocked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet Access is blocked

Internet Access is blocked: I'm having problems connecting to the router. The image shows my problem:It just randomly happened one day. I've tried restarting my computer and router's firmware....
  6. "Your internet access is blocked"

"Your internet access is blocked": A while ago, my Dad switched all of the Family computers to windows 10, and one of them, stopped working, I got it to where the internet works, but when I try to go into chrome, it says "your internet access is blocked" and "firewall or antivirus and software may have been...
  7. If I block an app from accessing the Internet, could the app still circumvent the block?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    If I block an app from accessing the Internet, could the app still circumvent the block?: https://i.imgur.com/tflADmk.png I use the Windows Defender Firewall (shown above) to block a password manager from accessing the Internet via Inbound/Outbound Rules. Not because it's some shady manager, but because of extra security precaution. If I block an app's...
  8. INTERNET ACCESS IS BLOCKED

INTERNET ACCESS IS BLOCKED: [IMG]I updated my windows 10 version (1909) and since then all my browsers can't access the internet. I tried the troubleshooting approach but still I couldn't resolve it. You can see from the picture attached that I am connected to the WiFi network but "Your Internet access...
  9. Internet access blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Internet access blocked: Attempting to access Router, the message 'Internet Access is Blocked' shows. I have disabled Windows Firewall but still blocked. Anyone know why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-access-blocked/72c78239-33c1-42d7-8f66-cbf5e925e8cc"
  10. Internet Access Blocked

Internet Access Blocked: So I just noticed my plex media server is unaccessible from my TV, says server unavailable. I can view the server (which is running on my laptop) when I go to 127.0.0.1 but if I try and go to the full private ip address I get this message. I even tried turning Windows...