Windows 10: Block certain applications from using a metered network

Discus and support Block certain applications from using a metered network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I work on highway construction and thus I rely a lot on cellular hotspots. Unfortunately, unlimited data on a machine with a real keyboard is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WynterTheCat, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Block certain applications from using a metered network

I work on highway construction and thus I rely a lot on cellular hotspots. Unfortunately, unlimited data on a machine with a real keyboard is a cardinal sin according to carriers, so I have to use a metered connection and a data limit to make sure I can ration the data for the month. This is all fine and dandy, but there are a couple of apps that don't respect metered network settings. The worst offender is MEGAsync, which syncs files over the network constantly and silently. I frequently lose multiple gigabytes a month just to pointless syncs that do nothing but waste data. I have submitted a

:)

WynterTheCat, Sep 16, 2021
  2. gmatht Win User

How to stop Windows 10 app downloading on metered connections

The Windows Defender firewall does not all you to distinguish between metered and non-metered connections. However, it does allow you to distinguish between private and public connections. If you can safely set you metered connection as private and non-metered connection as public (or vice versa) this will be enough.

To block downloads on Private networks do the following steps:

1. Press the Windows key, search for Firewall and open the "Windows Defender Firewall and Advanced Security"
    2. Go to Outbound connections (on left pane).
    3. Find the Netflix entry (or other application you wish to block)
    4. In the General tab choose "block the connection".
    5. In the Advanced tab make sure Private is ticked and Public is unticked.
    6. Press OK.

This is a possible workaround rather than a full solution so I will not accept my answer. A perfect answer would work even if both connections were public etc.

gmatht, Sep 16, 2021
  3. Jorge Tan Win User
    How to stop Window update for metered network

Hi,

To set a Wi-Fi network connection as metered, you may try the steps below:

• Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi > Manage known networks.
    • Select the Wi-Fi network > Properties > turn on Set as metered connection.

Let us know how it goes.

Jorge Tan, Sep 16, 2021
  4. Block certain applications from using a metered network

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10  

I found that after selecting wifi it shows a list of available connections and under need to select advanced settings and the metered selection is located their. and is not as the above tutorial.

peter prewett, Sep 16, 2021
Thema:

Block certain applications from using a metered network

1. Block certain applications from using a metered network - Similar Threads - Block certain applications

2. Is it possible to block certain programs from seeing certain devices?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to block certain programs from seeing certain devices?: I keep getting very annoyed because roblox heavily prefers to take inputs from my controller over my mouse and keyboard, so I was wondering if there was a way to completely disable my controller but only inside roblox, as unplugging it is not an option because I always have...
  3. Is it possible to block certain programs from seeing certain devices?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to block certain programs from seeing certain devices?: I keep getting very annoyed because roblox heavily prefers to take inputs from my controller over my mouse and keyboard, so I was wondering if there was a way to completely disable my controller but only inside roblox, as unplugging it is not an option because I always have...
  4. Is it possible to block certain programs from seeing certain devices?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Metered Network blocks local LAN traffic. The LAN isn't metered, only the WAN. How to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metered Network blocks local LAN traffic. The LAN isn't metered, only the WAN. How to...: We have 5 computers on LAN, needing to share data, print, and send workstation backups to a NAS.This LAN has a router using 5G Cellular Hotspot as WAN connection.We've told Windows the it's a metered network to avoid downloading Windows Updates and the like.Problem is our...
  6. Metered Network blocks local LAN traffic. The LAN isn't metered, only the WAN. How to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Metered Network blocks local LAN traffic. The LAN isn't metered, only the WAN. How to...: We have 5 computers on LAN, needing to share data, print, and send workstation backups to a NAS.This LAN has a router using 5G Cellular Hotspot as WAN connection.We've told Windows the it's a metered network to avoid downloading Windows Updates and the like.Problem is our...
  7. Access blocked on certain WiFi network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Access blocked on certain WiFi network: I'm trying to play Minecraft on a server, when I connect to mobile hotspot I am able to connect but when I am connected to the WiFi, I am not able to connect to the server. What should I do to fix this? Should I mimic all the network settings of the mobile data to the WiFi?...
  8. Application has been blocked from using graphics card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Application has been blocked from using graphics card: Hey, I've had this problem for around 3 weeks now and I've done all possible solutions written online and all have been unsuccessful. I thought It may have been a hardware issue with the actual GPU which was a 1070ti. So in response, I bought a 3090 out of desperation but I...
  9. Metered Network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered Network: I keep getting a message that says: You are on a metered network etc. What does that mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-network/a6672604-e8fc-4b63-8d13-4cb7d94d4895
  10. metered network?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    metered network?: help! This is a headache! What does this PC is on metered network mean? One drive sync is paused to prevent data charges? That to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/metered-network/594456d5-4b5e-4e04-8972-7371beb3678f