Windows 10: Block MS Store for users while allowing software updates

Discus and support Block MS Store for users while allowing software updates in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello community,Is there a way to remove the option to install software using MS Store desktop and web from users while keeping the ability to update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Rene.R_., May 27, 2024.

1. Rene.R_. Win User

Block MS Store for users while allowing software updates

Hello community,Is there a way to remove the option to install software using MS Store desktop and web from users while keeping the ability to update software installed through MS Store? Intune policy allows either blocking the desktop client while web continues to work, or completely blocks MS Store including the updates. Is there anything that can be done in terms of Intune policy / GPO / registry mods to achieve this? Would blocking the MS Store URL via Defender SmartScreen help theoretically or would it also impact the updates?Thank you.

:)

Rene.R_., May 27, 2024
  2. dalchina Win User

Block ALL Programs Except Allowed Ones

You can block programs using Windows Defender, for example (ignore the strange title): Please Wait... | Cloudflare E.g.

dalchina, May 27, 2024
  3. John Sarc Win User
    Windows Firewall blocks App Store from downloading new apps

Hi,

Let's try to check if the app store you're referring to if it's really blocked by Windows Firewall. See these steps:

• Open Windows Firewall from the taskbar >
      Firewall & network protection
      > Allow an app through firewall.
    • A new window will show up containing the list of the apps that ca be allowed through Firewall.
    • Look for the app you want to be accessed, and make sure that the Domain, Private and Public are ticked. That would allow the app store to be accessed.

Let us know what happens after doing the suggestion.

John Sarc, May 27, 2024
  4. Block MS Store for users while allowing software updates

Blocking and Allowing a Certain Program to a User in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Which option of the operating system are you exactly talking about (it will be easy for us to help you in resolving the issue quickly)?
    • Do you want to block the access of files & folders for the other user profile?

You can give permission for accessing/denying the files/folders on a drive to a user profile by setting appropriate permissions on the operating system.

To block the permission of the other user profile to access the files & folders, I suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Window logo + E keys on the keyboard and click on
      This PC located on the right hand panel of the screen.

• Open the drive where the application files are located.

• Right click on the application file and select Properties.

• Click on the Security tab of the window and click on the user profile name to deny access to under
      Group or user names.

• Click on Edit button and give permissions accordingly to the user profile.

• Click on Apply and OK.

• Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance.
    Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 27, 2024
Thema:

Block MS Store for users while allowing software updates

1. Block MS Store for users while allowing software updates - Similar Threads - Block Store users

2. Block MS Store for users while allowing software updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Block MS Store for users while allowing software updates: Hello community,Is there a way to remove the option to install software using MS Store desktop and web from users while keeping the ability to update software installed through MS Store? Intune policy allows either blocking the desktop client while web continues to work, or...
  3. "ms store" allowed in Windows Firewall.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "ms store" allowed in Windows Firewall.: When checking the Firewall I noticed that this was allowed through:When I checked there were two ms stores, one bein labelled 'Microsoft Store', and the other being the image shown. Is this safe? Or perhaps is this an outdated version of Microsoft Store?...
  4. MS Update blocks WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Update blocks WiFi: Admin....QUIT Censoring my post !This is not a question...but aimed at Microsoft.I have a Win 11 update pending and today fired up my PC and I have no WiFi. Yesterday I did.Went into to Settings and then is NO WiFi category even. NO category even. After I updated... it's...
  5. MS Update blocks WiFi

MS Update blocks WiFi: Admin....QUIT Censoring my post !This is not a question...but aimed at Microsoft.I have a Win 11 update pending and today fired up my PC and I have no WiFi. Yesterday I did.Went into to Settings and then is NO WiFi category even. NO category even. After I updated... it's...
  6. MS Update blocks WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Update blocks WiFi: This is not a question...but aimed at Microsoft.I have a Win 11 update pending and today fired up my PC and I have no WiFi. Yesterday I did.Went into to Settings and then is NO WiFi category even. NO category even. After I updated... it's frickin magically back.So obviously...
  7. MS Update blocks WiFi

MS Update blocks WiFi: This is not a question...but aimed at Microsoft.I have a Win 11 update pending and today fired up my PC and I have no WiFi. Yesterday I did.Went into to Settings and then is NO WiFi category even. NO category even. After I updated... it's frickin magically back.So obviously...
  8. Free software 'on sale' in MS store?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Free software 'on sale' in MS store?: Search 'Dev CPP' in MS Store you'll find one published by 'Dev Packager' and priced 78RMB in CN, but this software is available for FREE atSourceforge . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-software-on-sale-in-ms-store/c0ee9232-09c6-40ad-8f12-42c7a76e78f8"
  9. user account: administrator blocking software installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    user account: administrator blocking software installation: I am trying to install software for my HP CP1525nw Printer on my HP desktop computer. The auto.exe stops with a message: User control - The administrator has blocked this application for your protection. I am the administrator and cannot get around this error by selecting...
  10. Microsoft Allowing Problematic Updates To Be Blocked :)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Allowing Problematic Updates To Be Blocked :): Did anyone see this? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 Seems to be one less reason to reject Windows 10. Good on them. (But I'm not jumping ship yet.) (I'm going to have to come up with a comic image where I'm laying on a therapist's couch, and BunnyJ is...