Windows 10: block websites

Discus and support block websites in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello. i have an annoying set of websites showing ads popping up each time I visit a specific page. now i have already got the extensions 'ad block'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jamos316, Oct 10, 2018.

1. jamos316 Win User

block websites

hello.

i have an annoying set of websites showing ads popping up each time I visit a specific page.
    now i have already got the extensions 'ad block' and 'ad block plus' running in the background but on these websites it does not seem to pick up on anything.
    i have added the websites to my hosts file but it seems that every time i visit the page it brings up a new website with a different address.
    how can i block these websites?

http://prntscr.com/l4c0iu

:)

jamos316, Oct 10, 2018
  2. copiman Win User

How to Block Websites

I have googled a bit and found software that can be used to block websites on a computer. I also found another way by using Windows which I would prefer. My problem is I must be doing something wrong. Here is the site that has the steps.
    How to block websites | PCWorld

Here is what happens when I perform step 6. I am the administrator by the way.

block websites [​IMG]

Any ideas on how to make this work?

copiman, Oct 10, 2018
  3. copiman Win User
    How to Block Websites

Sorry everyone but I have done everything suggested and it still does not block the website.

copiman, Oct 10, 2018
  4. copiman Win User

block websites

How to Block Websites

I have the document in the etc folder

block websites [​IMG]

It is still a text file. And it does not block the website. I cannot do what you suggested by saving to docs and changing name. But at least its in the folder. Now how to make it work.

copiman, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

block websites

1. block websites - Similar Threads - block websites

2. Device Guard blocking Windows Store Apps from running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Device Guard blocking Windows Store Apps from running: Hello everyone, I'm a PC enthusiast, running Windows 10 Pro on my home computer, and I've been exploring the possibilities of the built-in security features as an alternative to buying an antivirus license from other established vendors. I've been experimenting with...
  3. Installation blocked by administrator

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation blocked by administrator: I am the administrator of a large network. As an Admin I am able to install the printer drivers I require. however, if a standard user logs on to a new windows 10 pc, and adds the network share for the printer, they are prompted to install files, that seems to work, but...
  4. block popups in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    block popups in windows 10: How do I block popups in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-popups-in-windows-10/f0321819-bcb4-4c64-9389-606ff213dd4c
  5. Website getting blocked

Website getting blocked: I have been using this website www.camsonline.com/COL_InvestorServices.aspx for many years. With a new computer with McAfee software also I have been using this for at least three months. But suddenly two days ago it says "WEB PAGE BLOCKED". I dont know why. What can I do to...
  6. how do I block a incoming website?

how do I block a incoming website?: I get obnoxious popups in the lower right corner of my screen from www.laptopmag.com. I there a way to block this site? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/how-do-i-block-a-incoming-website/a43dd27e-a806-419f-99bf-d7828306fd19"
  7. How to Block Websites

in Browsers and Email
    How to Block Websites: I have googled a bit and found software that can be used to block websites on a computer. I also found another way by using Windows which I would prefer. My problem is I must be doing something wrong. Here is the site that has the steps. How to block websites | PCWorld Here...
  8. Website Content Blocked

in Browsers and Email
    Website Content Blocked: Morningstar.co.uk has been blocked in IE and Edge because it has not been signed by a valid security certificate. I have used this site for years without problem but the certificate warning is not in the usual format. Any ideas please? Could someone try and access this site...
  9. Haven't updated - blocking websites?

in Browsers and Email
    Haven't updated - blocking websites?: So I've been constantly Alt+F4'ing my laptop's "hey it's time to update" for a while now ... Turned on my system and the only website I can pull up is Facebook. Is it possible that because I haven't updated that Windows is pitching a fit and saying "no net for you until...
  10. Australian ISP's forced to block The Pirate Bay, bittorrent websites

in Windows 10 News
    Australian ISP's forced to block The Pirate Bay, bittorrent websites: The Federal Court has ordered internet companies to block five copyright-infringing websites, including torrent website The Pirate Bay. Internet companies forced to block The Pirate Bay, bittorrent websites in Australia, Federal Court rules - ABC News (Australian...