Windows 10: Block Windows Update downloading on WIn 10 Home?

Discus and support Block Windows Update downloading on WIn 10 Home? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I can't have my notebook (upgraded from Win 7 Home) using bandwidth to download from Windows Update when I'm away from home. It seems I must either (a)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kaborka, Aug 23, 2015.

1. kaborka Win User

Block Windows Update downloading on WIn 10 Home?

I can't have my notebook (upgraded from Win 7 Home) using bandwidth to download from Windows Update when I'm away from home. It seems I must either (a) mark every wifi connection as metered, or (b) mark the startup setting for the WAU service as "Disabled", and only enable it when I want to check for updates. On my Win 10 Pro desktop, I used the GP Editor to make the setting to "notify but not download". What's the best solution for Win 10 Home?

:)

kaborka, Aug 23, 2015
  2. rgb1 Win User

Block Win 10 update KB:3132372

Have you tried hiding the update?

As a last resort you might try a program that blocks downloads of certain updates to previous Windows to stop download of Win 10 files and updates. Might not work on a Win 10 system though.

ultimateoutsider gwx

3. Rohn007 Win User
    Windows 10 Update 1709

This should work for blocking the update:

HIDE / BLOCK WIN AND DRIVER UPDATES

Microsoft has released KB3073930 that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Rohn007, Aug 23, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 23, 2015
  5. kaborka Win User
    Setting the Wi-Fi as metered won't work if I'm using a wired connection. I guess I'll just have to disable the WAU service.

kaborka, Aug 23, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Just be sure to enable the service again when ready to install updates.

Brink, Aug 23, 2015
  7. kaborka Win User
    It's really a poor choice for MS to force updates on 10-Home. Think of all the complaints they'll have about poor Internet performance because machines are busy downloading updates. If they offered QoS settings on the network it would help. I'm waiting for some developer to restore full WAU control as in past versions, allowing choice of what update to install. For example, while I'm away I may choose to d/l Windows Defender updates, but defer OS updates. It's the only sane solution

kaborka, Aug 23, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I can see why Microsoft did this to help make sure Windows is always updated with security patches to help prevent zombie computers on the internet from negligent owners, but yeah, I prefer to have the option of when to download and install.

Brink, Aug 23, 2015
  9. Need to understand that even if that DOES happen, MS recently announced that Win10 will be scanning machines looking for pirated software, and if found, disabling it and/or the machine. So, even if some third-party does come up with a nice Windows Update patch that returns control to Win10 Home users, don't be surprised if MS counters that soon afterward.

Mark Phelps, Aug 23, 2015
  10. kaborka Win User
    I tried disabling the WAU service on the nb. After doing this, the entire Settings window (Start > Settings) is empty. Makes me wonder what else gets crippled. Definitely need a better solution.

kaborka, Aug 23, 2015
  11. Set Windows updates to Notify and then just choose, which updates you want to block.

Run this as admin in command prompt:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "AUOptions" /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Then use this tool to hide unwanted updates.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

TairikuOkami, Aug 23, 2015
  12. Superfly Win User
    It's not a good idea to mess with windows services. Instead use TinyWall to block certain Internet traffic.
    It is a control panel for Windows firewall and by default allows windows update to pass through - you can however block that as well if you so choose.

Superfly, Aug 23, 2015
  13. groze Win User

Mark Phelps,

I wouldn't call 3rd party software or tweaks pirated. There is several tweaks and ways to disable or block windows updates just search google. Careful a couple of those program install malware or additional software. One is a real complicated registry tweak. Some of theses programs also disables some or all of the privacy issues.

I think you may need to do additional steps to use windows 10 in a H.I.P.P.A regulated environment from what I read about compliance.

groze, Aug 23, 2015
  14. kaborka Win User
    Win 10 Home seems to ignore these settings -- after reboot, it still show full automatic updating.

kaborka, Aug 24, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Block Windows Update downloading on WIn 10 Home? - Similar Threads - Block Update downloading

2. recent win 10 updates? windows home

in Windows 10 Support
    recent win 10 updates? windows home: I can tell windows to delay or stop updates but we know the omnipotent overlords at microsoft can overrule anything we say. the computer is not usually on the internet (also prevents viruses) i have to go on the internet to download new software. are there any recent updates...
  3. Windows 10 Home Download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home Download: New hardware, and I had to get an OS so I figured the Windows 10 .ios would have an option for it and it didn't. Does anyone know where to find the Windows 10 Home download so I can activate my Windows?...
  4. Home Internet completely freezes while downloading Win 10 2004 update!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Home Internet completely freezes while downloading Win 10 2004 update!: Has anyone experienced this? While I am downloading the Windows 10 2004 update on one of my laptops, I am unable to browse the internet on any device, including the same one or other laptops or phones. The moment I disconnect the laptop that is downloading the update from my...
  5. Windows 10 Home Edition block downloads

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Home Edition block downloads: Hi, I have Windows 10 Home edition on my sons laptop and trying to prevent him from doing downloads such as software and games. He has a standard account but I cant find any way to prevent these downloads from occurring. I have seen many ways of doing this in registry etc...
  6. windows update (win 10 home)

windows update (win 10 home): how can I turn update off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-win-10-home/de6fcb74-fb7c-4330-9f5f-0b00b18378c6
  7. Update WIN 10 home

Update WIN 10 home: I have WiNDOWS 10 HOME edition version of operation system 17134. Can not instal update KB4480966. There is message failure 0x8024200d. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-win-10-home/4065c035-a47b-4d84-a70f-c9d7af926186
  8. Update Win 10 Home to Pro

Update Win 10 Home to Pro: I tried to update Win 10 Home to Pro with a Win 7 pro license and I got this error code 0x803F8001 The last product you entered can't be used on this copy of Windows.. any help would be appreciated.. Thanks Ron...
  9. Win 10 Home download bandwidth issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Home download bandwidth issues: We live in a very remote area and our sat based isp has heavy bandwidth restrictions besides being slow and overpriced. Have attempted the 3GB upgrade download twice unsuccessfully. Are there any other options to obtaining the upgrade? 50422
  10. When will Win 10 Home download to my Win 7 computer?

in Windows 10 Support
    When will Win 10 Home download to my Win 7 computer?: If it actually happens before July 29 (not likely) how can I determine if the Win 10 Home install file(s) have downloaded to my Win 7 computer? If its after July 29 I expect I'll get some sort of notification and option to install. 8486