Windows 10: Blocking execution of Autorun with Windows Defender?

Discus and support Blocking execution of Autorun with Windows Defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Is there a way that Windows Defender can automatically block the execution of Autorun commands once a USB flash drive or a DVD is inserted on a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Blocking execution of Autorun with Windows Defender?

Is there a way that Windows Defender can automatically block the execution of Autorun commands once a USB flash drive or a DVD is inserted on a computer?

:)

win10freak, Apr 28, 2019

2. Windows 10 Autorun?

Hello,

As you are asking whether the security of disabling Autorun/Autoplay option from system settings is the same as disabling from the registry and will take affect in the same way. There is no need to worry about virus threats which usually attack from autorun/autoplay.
    If you want to disable autorun/autoplay from registry, follow the steps provided below:

• Type regedit in the search box and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    • In the right pane of the window create a new DWORD value "NoDriveTypeAutorun".
    • Set the value based on the following requirements:
      • FF – To disable AutoRun on all drives
      • 20 – To disable AutoRun on CD-ROM drives
      • 4 – To disable AutoRun on removable drives
      • 8 – To disable AutoRun on fixed drives
      • 10 – To disable AutoRun on network drives
      • 40 – To disable AutoRun on RAM disks
      • 1 – To disable AutoRun on unknown drives
    • If you want to disable AutoRun on a certain combination of drives, you’ll have to combine their values. For example, if you want to disable AutoRun on CD-ROM and removable drives, set the value of DWORD to 28.
    • If you want to return AutoRun functionality, just delete the NoDriveTypeAutorun DWORD value.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 28, 2019
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Windows Defender is blocking too much saying it viruses

Hi Sam,

Based on the screenshot that you've provided, Controlled Folder Access is turned on, blocking most apps that you're using. We suggest that you turn it off to allow blocked apps in Windows Defender. Follow the steps below:

• Select Start > Settings.
    • Choose Update & security > Windows Defender.
    • Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.
    • Once done, try accessing the apps and see if you can now access them.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Anne Ros, Apr 28, 2019
  4. Reldel Win User

Blocking execution of Autorun with Windows Defender?

Turn On Windows Defender Block Suspicious Behaviors in Windows 10

The DWORD is set to 0 and I cannot get the process you suggested in the "NOTE" portion of the tutorial to work. Two attached screen shoots will show the before and after attempts to change the Permissions necessary for access to the DWORD change.
    Blocking execution of Autorun with Windows Defender? [​IMG]

Blocking execution of Autorun with Windows Defender? [​IMG]

Access is denied. (Note-Protected folder in Defender is turned off)

Reldel, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

Blocking execution of Autorun with Windows Defender?

1. Blocking execution of Autorun with Windows Defender? - Similar Threads - Blocking execution Autorun

2. AUTORUN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AUTORUN: HiWhat is this for found in my downloaded areaThank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autorun/3e7ac7b4-73d9-4033-abfe-b20cef58bae4
  3. windows defender antimalware service executable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows defender antimalware service executable: 1-Is this program always supposed to run in the background ?? Because this has slowed down the laptop and also the laptop fan is constantly working with overheating 2-What can I do to stop this?...
  4. Windows Defender Firewall blocked Microsoft OneDriveFile Co-Authoring Executable

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Firewall blocked Microsoft OneDriveFile Co-Authoring Executable: Why must I approve a firewall exception for Microsoft OneDriveFile Co-Authoring Executable? This must have been triggered by an update but might be something more dangerous. Moved from: Unknown/other / Windows 10 / Microsoft 365 Family...
  5. autorun of specific executable on usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    autorun of specific executable on usb flash drive: In windows 7, there is a checkbox i can click so windows will remember to launch a specific executable on a usb flash drive. but it seems in windows 10 this feature has disappeared. Can someone enlighten me so i get the same feature in Windows 10? This is very helpful for...
  6. Windows defender. Antimalware service executable.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender. Antimalware service executable.: Hola! Puse Windows Defender a analizar mi PC y encontró varios malware. Lo puse a trabajar, pero lleva más de 24 horas funcionando sin terminar el trabajo. En el administrador de tareas veo que ocupa gran parte de la CPU y Disco, pero ya van demasiadas horas. Cuánto puede...
  7. Windows Defender Antimalware service executable

Windows Defender Antimalware service executable: Antimalware Service Executable is always running and using 100mb of memory. It is not running a scan all day every day however it is constantly using memory. I have tried re-schedule scan from the normal control pannel, setting, and task sheduler, I have disabled every...
  8. Windows Defender Antimaleware service executable

Windows Defender Antimaleware service executable: Antimalware Service Executable is always running and using 100mb of memory. It is not running a scan all day every day however it is constantly using memory. I have tried re-schedule scan from the normal control pannel, setting, and task sheduler, I have disabled every...
  9. OS BLOCKED executables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS BLOCKED executables: Hi! What is the RunTime Broker and what does it do? Are they safe to auto-run by the OS? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/os-blocked-executables/266c0956-fc5a-42fb-9fb6-c4f7a200e22d
  10. How do I view Startup autoruns and execution commands?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I view Startup autoruns and execution commands?: Thank you for taking a look at my thread. I see a Startup "Windows host process (Rundll32)" rated "High". I am considering disabling it... How would I view the autoruns and look at the full execution commands? Much Obliged *cake 142148

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows blocking autorun

2. windows remove blocking running autorun cd

3. win 10 blocking autorun

4. autorun from usb windows defender,
  5. autorun quickbooks not working,
  6. windows security blocking my quickbooks 2019 from opening,
  7. disable autorun on a standalone server,
  8. Blocking of execution