Windows 10: Blocking potentially unwanted applications

Discus and support Blocking potentially unwanted applications in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. For people using Windows 10 Home1909, is their a way to set your windows defender to block PUPs and PUAs? And I know that the new Edge has an... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jack660, May 9, 2020.

1. Jack660 Win User

Blocking potentially unwanted applications

Hi.

For people using Windows 10 Home1909, is their a way to set your windows defender to block PUPs and PUAs? And I know that the new Edge has an option to do this but is their a way to make this a system wide setting?

Thank You.

:)

Jack660, May 9, 2020

2. blocked applications

Hi Eileen,

Windows Defender or another antivirus software will sometimes block a certain app or file from running or being installed. With this, you can check the
    quarantine section of the antivirus program you are using to see which program is being blocked. To better assist you, we need the answers to the following questions:

• What is the exact error message did you receive after launching or running the app?
    • Which antivirus program are you using?

In the meantime, we suggest disabling the Windows Defender SmartScreen and see if the app will run. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Type Windows Defender on the search box and click on the first option.
    • On the left side of the window, click on the Window icon (App & browser control).
    • On the SmartScreen for Windows
      Store apps column, select Off.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jefferson Ore, May 9, 2020
  3. Can't launch any applications

Hi,

This error message will show if the application or program that you are trying to open was been blocked by Windows Defender SmartScreen. Having said that, we suggest that you disable Windows Defender SmartScreen by following these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Click on App & browser control.
    • Click on Off in the following options:
      • Check apps and files.
      • SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.
      • SmartScreen for Windows Store apps.
    • SmartScreen is now completely disabled. If you'd like to still receive a warning when a potentially malicious file or program is detected, you can choose Warn in each SmartScreen option.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, May 9, 2020
  4. Blocking potentially unwanted applications

Can't get the Windows Defender team to analyze a potential incorrect detection

Hi Mike,

Since PUA(Potentially Unwanted Application) protection feature allows Windows Defender to detect and block certain apps that are not categorized as threats, but they increase the chances of your device being infected with malware or it may affect your device's
    performance. That might be the reason why the PUA protection feature detects the software. In the case that the feature blocks an application you know that can be trusted, you may follow these steps to allow the app:

1. On the start menu, type Window Defender security center and press Enter.
    2. On the pop-up window, select Virus and threat protection.
    3. Click Threat history option.
    4. Under Quarantined threats, select the file, and click Restore button.
    Note: You can also click the Remove button to get rid of the unwanted app and other infected files.

After performing the steps above, it will restores the app to its original location.

We'll be waiting for you to post back.

Justine Pel, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Blocking potentially unwanted applications

1. Blocking potentially unwanted applications - Similar Threads - Blocking potentially unwanted

2. I can't turn on potentially unwanted app blocking.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can't turn on potentially unwanted app blocking.: I can't turn on potentially unwanted app blocking it automatically turns itself off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-turn-on-potentially-unwanted-app-blocking/dd9aae29-98d8-46ac-83b1-69702d106594
  3. I can't turn on potentially unwanted app blocking.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't turn on potentially unwanted app blocking.: I can't turn on potentially unwanted app blocking it automatically turns itself off. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-turn-on-potentially-unwanted-app-blocking/dd9aae29-98d8-46ac-83b1-69702d106594
  4. Potentially Unwanted Application found keeps popping

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Potentially Unwanted Application found keeps popping: This message keeps popping up about every 10 seconds and is hogging my system resources:Virus & Threat ProtectionPotentially Unwanted Application foundThis Application was removed because it is blocked by your administratorThis infinite loop is taking up 50% of my CPU and 80%...
  5. Potentially Unwanted Application found keeps popping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potentially Unwanted Application found keeps popping: This message keeps popping up about every 10 seconds and is hogging my system resources:Virus & Threat ProtectionPotentially Unwanted Application foundThis Application was removed because it is blocked by your administratorThis infinite loop is taking up 50% of my CPU and 80%...
  6. Potentially Unwanted Application found keeps popping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Potentially unwanted application protection - turning on

Potentially unwanted application protection - turning on: I was excited to know more about PUA protection feature in windows. I read it across the few sites.According to this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/manage-updates-baselines-microsoft-defender-antivirus?view=o365-worldwideDefender...
  8. Windows 10 will block potentially unwanted apps by default

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will block potentially unwanted apps by default: Microsoft’s Windows Defender functionality has significantly improved since the release of Windows 10 in 2015. With Windows 10 version 2004 (May 2020 Update), Microsoft added a new optional setting that makes potentially unwanted apps (PUA) blocking easier in the operating...
  9. Cannot turn on "potentially unwanted app blocking"

Cannot turn on "potentially unwanted app blocking": Problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-on-potentially-unwanted-app-blocking/d3b72beb-3c9b-46f2-bc61-0bbe82da3b2d
  10. Potentially Unwanted Application PUA detected

Potentially Unwanted Application PUA detected: Hi, So I have tried to install an add-on for FSX:SE game from a website. The web uses an installer for the add-on called "InstallMate". When I finished downloaded it and unzipped it, just after double click the .exe file, Windows Defender popped up and told me that a...