Windows 10: Blocking potentially unwanted applications

Discus and support Blocking potentially unwanted applications in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. For people using Windows 10 Home1909, is their a way to set your windows defender to block PUPs and PUAs? And I know that the new Edge has an... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jack660, May 9, 2020.

1. Jack660 Win User

Blocking potentially unwanted applications

Hi.

For people using Windows 10 Home1909, is their a way to set your windows defender to block PUPs and PUAs? And I know that the new Edge has an option to do this but is their a way to make this a system wide setting?

Thank You.

:)

Jack660, May 9, 2020

2. blocked applications

Hi Eileen,

Windows Defender or another antivirus software will sometimes block a certain app or file from running or being installed. With this, you can check the
    quarantine section of the antivirus program you are using to see which program is being blocked. To better assist you, we need the answers to the following questions:

• What is the exact error message did you receive after launching or running the app?
    • Which antivirus program are you using?

In the meantime, we suggest disabling the Windows Defender SmartScreen and see if the app will run. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Type Windows Defender on the search box and click on the first option.
    • On the left side of the window, click on the Window icon (App & browser control).
    • On the SmartScreen for Windows
      Store apps column, select Off.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jefferson Ore, May 9, 2020
  3. Can't launch any applications

Hi,

This error message will show if the application or program that you are trying to open was been blocked by Windows Defender SmartScreen. Having said that, we suggest that you disable Windows Defender SmartScreen by following these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Click on App & browser control.
    • Click on Off in the following options:
      • Check apps and files.
      • SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge.
      • SmartScreen for Windows Store apps.
    • SmartScreen is now completely disabled. If you'd like to still receive a warning when a potentially malicious file or program is detected, you can choose Warn in each SmartScreen option.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, May 9, 2020
  4. Blocking potentially unwanted applications

Can't get the Windows Defender team to analyze a potential incorrect detection

Hi Mike,

Since PUA(Potentially Unwanted Application) protection feature allows Windows Defender to detect and block certain apps that are not categorized as threats, but they increase the chances of your device being infected with malware or it may affect your device's
    performance. That might be the reason why the PUA protection feature detects the software. In the case that the feature blocks an application you know that can be trusted, you may follow these steps to allow the app:

1. On the start menu, type Window Defender security center and press Enter.
    2. On the pop-up window, select Virus and threat protection.
    3. Click Threat history option.
    4. Under Quarantined threats, select the file, and click Restore button.
    Note: You can also click the Remove button to get rid of the unwanted app and other infected files.

After performing the steps above, it will restores the app to its original location.

We'll be waiting for you to post back.

Justine Pel, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Blocking potentially unwanted applications

1. Blocking potentially unwanted applications - Similar Threads - Blocking potentially unwanted

2. "Your administrator has blocked this application because it potentially poses a security...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Your administrator has blocked this application because it potentially poses a security...: Hello, The Windows 10 install on a new laptop poses this error when I attempt to install a trusted software application Fidelity Active Trader Pro. It does not matter whether I execute the small setup file as an administrator. No other computer I've owned has ever...
  3. Unwanted application

Unwanted application: After visiting a recipe site, I now have the app websearchdl.com that comes up everytime I boot up my computer. It shows on my toolbar that this website in not secure. I have used all the Microsoft apps to check my computer for potential threats and after the scans it comes...
  4. Unwanted switching between applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unwanted switching between applications: Dear All, At work we have some issues with various computers that sometimes it switches automatically between programs. This happens when you're typing an email, work in Word/Excel, browse online with Edge/Firefox/Chrome or any other program. But it also happens when...
  5. Uninstalling unwanted applications

Uninstalling unwanted applications: Hello my name is Hugh and I am facing some issues when I uninstalled a program from my Windows 10 desktop. I uninstalled utorrent but I still have the program in my task manager on the startup page. If anyone can help me get rid of it completely then it will be much...
  6. your administrator has blocked this application because it potentially poses a security...

your administrator has blocked this application because it potentially poses a security...: Hello all, I cannot install or update a previous installation for a business application I use on my laptop. The application is Stream (an Aerdata / Boeing data application). Aerdata helpdesk were of no help, they sent me the technical spec for Stream and insist I need to...
  7. How to delete potential unwanted programs The Bright Tag?

How to delete potential unwanted programs The Bright Tag?: How do I delete the PUP The Bright Tag. I delete it but it comes right back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-potential-unwanted-programs-the/2a8f2662-1b9b-4971-8059-f29862dc9f58"
  8. application blocked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    application blocked: Why did I just get a bunch of notifications saying ApplicationMicrosoftEdgeC has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/application-blocked/42e7f864-40d8-4295-bdad-b3380184b880
  9. applications blocked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    applications blocked: applications blocked from graphic hardware. Can Microsoft help me to solve ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/applications-blocked/28b4b5cd-93e8-4543-939e-a44cf3c6352b
  10. Potentially Unwanted Programs

Potentially Unwanted Programs: Hi Microsoft, How do I prevent the operating system from pre- and re-installing PUPs on my computer? I neither need or want several programs on my computer that seem to have magically been installed without my permission including but not limited to: Candy Crush XBox...