Windows 10: Blocking programs, sometimes

Discus and support Blocking programs, sometimes in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; HI! My windows 10 some times blocks programs, some times it does not. It runs little programs that I made with AUTOHOTKEY but then it does not allow... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RickRD, Nov 14, 2019.

1. RickRD Win User

Blocking programs, sometimes

HI! My windows 10 some times blocks programs, some times it does not. It runs little programs that I made with AUTOHOTKEY but then it does not allow them to do any action.

Some times it brings up the confirmation window where it asks me to allow a program to make changes, some times it does not. Some times it says I can change settings, some times I need to run the program as administrator (note I have only one user on my laptop and it has administrator rights).

Is there a way to have my administrator logon to simply run what I want to run without blocking me or constantly asking confirmations?

Thank you very much!

:)

RickRD, Nov 14, 2019

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Nov 14, 2019
  3. FIREWALL IS BLOCKING CERTAIN PROGRAMS

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

One of the most common problems when using a network firewall is that it sometimes blocks network traffic that you want to allow.

Please follow the below step to troubleshoot with the issue:

• Open the “Control Panel“.
    • Select “System and Security.
    • In the Windows Firewall section, select “Allow a program through Windows Firewall“.
    • Unchecking the box to the left of the application name disallows it from accessing network resources, while checking it allows access.
    • If the program you wish to block or unblock is not listed, you can click the “Allow another program…” button to add it. Choose the application in the list and select “Add“. If the program is not in this list, use the “Browse…
      button to select the program file manually.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Nov 14, 2019
  4. Blocking programs, sometimes

blocked applications

Hi Eileen,

Windows Defender or another antivirus software will sometimes block a certain app or file from running or being installed. With this, you can check the
    quarantine section of the antivirus program you are using to see which program is being blocked. To better assist you, we need the answers to the following questions:

• What is the exact error message did you receive after launching or running the app?
    • Which antivirus program are you using?

In the meantime, we suggest disabling the Windows Defender SmartScreen and see if the app will run. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Type Windows Defender on the search box and click on the first option.
    • On the left side of the window, click on the Window icon (App & browser control).
    • On the SmartScreen for Windows
      Store apps column, select Off.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jefferson Ore, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

Blocking programs, sometimes

1. Blocking programs, sometimes - Similar Threads - Blocking programs sometimes

2. This program is blocked by group policy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This program is blocked by group policy: Whenever I try to sign in to the Microsoft store I get the message above I don’t know what caused it but I think it had something to do with my work account being on my pc but I can’t remove it settings is apparently blocked until I activate windows but I can’t do that...
  3. Uninstall program blocked

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Uninstall program blocked: Hi! I am having an issue with "Pdf Suite 2018". I installed it some time back, but now wish to get rid of it. I try to uninstall it: Settings>Apps & Features> Pdf Suite 2018 I click "Uninstall" and I get the following message: [ATTACH] I am highly surprised, as I...
  4. Program is sometimes normal and sometimes maximized only.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program is sometimes normal and sometimes maximized only.: Hi, I need help. I work with a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running whatever version of Windows 10 shipped on it. When I run a program - any program - it starts in one of two modes. I will call them Mode 1 and Mode 2. Mode 1 is just like the sort of behavior that I have...
  5. windows defender blocks programs

in Windows 10 Support
    windows defender blocks programs: After last update my Open Office programs will not save any changes. My Quicken 17 will not save changes. I disabled windows defender and everything seemed to work. Asus Laptop with SSD drive and 8 mem Is MS aware of this and will it be fixed soon. Do I need to buy a new...
  6. Blocking program

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Blocking program: How do I get "Five nights at Freddy's" blocked from my autistic 11 year old boy? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blocking-program/492260f5-b5e3-434e-a474-2b4b36c2dfa6"
  7. block program in firewall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    block program in firewall: How do I block a program from connecting to internet in windows defender firewall? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/block-program-in-firewall/0bf73322-b39c-4884-95e4-06631eeb35d5
  8. Blocking a program in firewall?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Blocking a program in firewall?: I'm trying to block a program from connecting to the internet and I followed these instructions: How to Block a Program From the Internet in Windows 10 - Simple Help for blocking a program from the windows firewall, but it doesn't seem to work. When I go into the...
  9. program blocking for child account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    program blocking for child account: In Windows 7, I was able to basically block all programs. That is, all programs would be blocked unless the admin password was entered. There was also a way to allow certain programs without password. I can't seem to figure out how to do a similar thing in Windows 10. Did...
  10. Sometimes programs hang

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sometimes programs hang: I've had Win10 installed on a rarely used test / backup PC since last fall, but upgraded my regularly used PC just last week, so I don't know if I'm describing a recent problem or one the has been lurking around for months. Sometimes I cannot launch new programs. Clicking...