Windows 10: Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged

Discus and support Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am in a bit of a bind. About 8 months ago I purchased a Lenovo Z50 laptop from Amazon. This has a quad-core AMD A10 processor, and 8 GB of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by shrimpster00, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged

Hello, I am in a bit of a bind.

About 8 months ago I purchased a Lenovo Z50 laptop from Amazon. This has a quad-core AMD A10 processor, and 8 GB of RAM. When I got it, it ran Windows 8. It has worked flawlessly for me, despite all of the my coding projects and virtual machines that I frequently run on it.

However, recently I have upgraded to Windows 10 via the Get Windows 10 applet from Microsoft. The problem is that it consistently crashes with the Blue Screen of Death, with the error code THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER.
    Upon further investigation, I found that it crashes whenever it's unplugged. I can boot it fine when it's plugged in, and it will work perfectly without any problems. However, the second it's unplugged (about 3 seconds, to be more precise), it will crash with the Blue Screen of Death. When I try to boot it without it plugged in, it will get to the login screen. From there I can log in, but about 20 seconds later, it will crash.

Further research with the specific error code says that it is generally caused by a faulty graphics card. However, it does not seem like this is the case, because it works fine when it's not on battery power (it seems more likely that there is a problem with the battery, not the graphics card).
    I updated all of the drives (including the graphics driver and the drivers for the AC adapter and battery), but it did not solve the problem.
    I have not updated the BIOS (even though other articles recommended it), because the laptop is only 8 months old (BIOS probably won't have any critical updates, because it's pretty recent), and I am worried that messing with it might void my warranty or ruin the computer.

I do not have spare cash, so I cannot afford to take it to a professional to look at it. This is why I am posting to this forum.

I attached the requested ZIP file from the Log Collector:
    Attachment 30605

:)

shrimpster00, Aug 10, 2015

2. Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged

I am having the same exact issue on my Lenovo Z50 with the AMD A10 processor. My issue also started after the Windows 10 update.

I followed the Microsoft guide for upgrading from 8.1 to Windows 10 and prior to the upgrade everything on my Z50 worked flawlessly. The upgrade went smoothly and I didn't notice anything at first, but after a day or so it would crash to a blue screen 2-3sec
    after my Desktop loaded. Just like Shrimpster00 I traced it down to being unplugged, but not before a format and clean install of Windows 10, but even when I had a perfect Windows 10 install with zero bloatware i still had the unplug crashing.

I did find a temporary fix via Lenovo's site. For our model laptop there is a power management software supplied by Lenovo, and after installation it fixed the problem 100%, for about a week. My wife called my at work one day and said the laptop was "doing
    it" again, and after some searching I found out Windows Updates were installed that very morning on the Z50.

There are many similar issues on several websites that I've read over the last few days, and it was most common for the finger to be pointed at battery health, graphics hardware interface, or cpu power consumption. I've tested the battery and it was fine,
    I've used W10 and AMD drivers for the apu without a difference, and I've played around with limiting the cpu(apu) power draw and limiters without improvement.

My theory: There is an interface issue specifically with the Lenovo Z50-75(the AMD A10 model) power management hardware/software and Windows 10.

I fixed the issue installing Lenovo's software, through many boots, resets, locations, plug/unplug while in use, graphics heavy and light use programs. Then after a Windows 10 update, which could be a coincidence, I lost that fix. It's promising in a way,
    it means Microsoft is working on things related to the problem and it could easily be fixed in a future update by accident, but I'd rather not wait for hope.

On a completely unrelated (kind of) note, after the upgrade I also lost my DVD drive. It now shows up in Device Manager under the "Other Devices" category, has a white circle with a blue ? in the middle instead of the normal yellow triangle, but is listed
    as MATSHITA DVD_RAM UJ8FBS. The category in Device Manager for dvd/cd drives isn't there, it's completely missing. When a disk is inserted, the drive spins up and acts normal, but nothing happens in Windows. Any ideas?

-Andy

AndyS_121402, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps:

Method1:

Perform Hardware Clean Boot:

Here’s the procedure to do it:

Unplug all the External Devices (except Mouse and Keyboard)

• Press Windows+X key and select Device Manager.
    • In the device manager Expand display adapter and right click on the display adapter and try to disable and try to boot to the desktop.
    Note: Devices that can be disabled for doing a Hardware clean boot are:

• a) Display Adapters.
    • b) Sound, video and game controllers.
    • c) Network Adapters.
    • d) USB Devices and controller (Please don’t disable this if you are using USB keyboard or Mouse or Wireless Keyboard or mouse).
    • e) DVD/CD-ROM drives.
    • f) Modems
    • g) Ports
    Method 2:

Perform a Clean Boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. If everything works fine after a clean boot, you can infer that some third party services are causing the problem. Proceed with
    the remaining steps to pin-point out the third party service. After you figure out the problem causing program, you may have to update or install a higher version of the program, if you seldom use that software you can consider uninstalling it.

Refer to the following Microsoft Article for performing Clean Boot:https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting” to boot the computer in normal
    mode.

NOTE: The links provided holds good for Windows 10 .

Method 3:

Perform chkdsk and see if that helps.

Chkdsk is a system tool which verifies the file system integrity and fixes system errors. Here is the steps:

• Press Windows+X.
    • Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command Chkdsk /f/r.
    • Hit Enter.
    Chkdsk disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, while the bad sectors might be recovered however there might be pertinent
    data loss.

Hope it helps. Let us know the updated status and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Navneet Anand, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged

dont know how much I can help, but a laptop is able to pull ( use ) more power when on battery than on mains.....so I am told...so maybe there is some connection, can't be overheating as it happens within 3 seconds....just wonders if you have advanced power options to turn down CPU use age so,it's the same for mains or battery plus any other settings that are different for mains/battery....just wondered if this would stop it happening and help identify the issue.....possible for someone with more knowledge than I have......just a thought...

reddwarf4ever, Aug 11, 2015
  5. I tried switching the power plan to "Power Saver," and the error still occurred. I then tried again, but with the power plan "High Performance," and I received the same error. There is no change.

shrimpster00, Aug 16, 2015
  6. it's not just a power plan but the CPU settings need to be changed as described.....
    could be also a faulty battery or battery terminals......as it is only 8 months old, it is under guarantee, can't you report this as a fault a get it replaced..repaired.....

also so using a boot USB pen with the windows 10 installed from windows media creator, you will have the option under repair troubleshooting to roll back to the previous operating system, assuming you haven't deleted the old windows.old files......

just found this...some form of battery management....

does it it make any sense ?

Try the battery gauge reset.
    Open Lenovo Energy Management (should be running in the tray), one of the icons in the Battery section should say Battery Gauge Reset.
    It is recommended that you don't use your computer during the reset (couple hours).

reddwarf4ever, Aug 16, 2015
  7. Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged

this resolved issues for someone with similar problem.......but of course windows 10 may change the drivers back...

I then contacted Lenovo Customer Support. I was told that I should install Thinkvantage System Update to see if there were drivers that needed to be installed. I installed it, and it found around five drivers that needed to be updated.

reddwarf4ever, Aug 16, 2015
  8. Schoby Win User
    I have the same exact issue. Glad to hear I am not the only one in this mess. So far I tried all that was suggested except the battery reset. (Using the computer in class right now. I will give it a shot later.) I can vouch for shrimpster00. I too ran into this problem when I upgraded to Windows 10. All of the hardware seems to be in working order.

Schoby, Aug 24, 2015
  9. if you want to stop windows updating or changing your drivers, set up a god mode folder.....tutorial on this forum....and chose don't update drivers....up to you then what you update and when.....

reddwarf4ever, Aug 24, 2015
  10. Schoby Win User
    Found the issue. I actually had to update the BIOS after all, which can be located at the lenovo support site. Thanks guys. Ha ha, your suggestions did help me learn a few tricks, reddwarf4ever. I have another computer at home that could use the advise you gave me.

Schoby, Aug 25, 2015
  11. axe0 New Member
    Hi shrimpster00,

I'm very sorry for the delay, there aren't many people in this section.
    Are you still requiring help?
    If so, please use the tool again and upload a new zip file.

12. Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged

Hello, axe0,

I have not yet fixed the issue, but please note that I have not yet upgraded the BIOS as Schoby recommended. I will upload the zip file again once that happens, and let you know if anything has changed.

shrimpster00, Aug 26, 2015
  13. Thank you very much, all of you, for your many helpful replies.

Upgrading the BIOS (as Schoby did) fixed the problem; I no longer have any issues.

shrimpster00, Aug 26, 2015
  14. axe0 New Member
    Glad to hear you're issue is solved, please mark this thread as solved *Smile

Thema:

Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged

1. Blue Screen of Death When Laptop Is Unplugged - Similar Threads - Blue Screen Death

2. blue screen of death on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    blue screen of death on my laptop: please fix blue screen on my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-of-death-on-my-laptop/4ff4fee7-c92e-4d63-a60c-ada8ff298370
  3. Laptop stuck at blue death screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop stuck at blue death screen: Error code: Crictial process dies. Held down for 10 seconds nothing. Unresponsive please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-stuck-at-blue-death-screen/8dc47aa1-aa82-4435-821f-1da2f2c25858
  4. Laptop Blue Screen to Death

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Blue Screen to Death: My laptop has been restarting on its own. Its's a blue screen to death issue. I looked for the error online.[system service exception ntfs.sys failed]In one of the websites, they suggested to do an SFC Scan. After the scan, I got this message. "Windows Resource Protection...
  5. Laptop Blue Screen to Death

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Blue Screen to Death: My laptop has been restarting on its own. Its's a blue screen to death issue. I looked for the error online.[system service exception ntfs.sys failed]In one of the websites, they suggested to do an SFC Scan. After the scan, I got this message. "Windows Resource Protection...
  6. Laptop crashed blue screen of death

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop crashed blue screen of death: Hello, today i was using my bluetooth earbuds on my laptop and they were not working well despiste being connected it was not giving any sound i was using it before and it was working, then the youtube video stopped playing and it crashed. This is the link to the minidump...
  7. Blue Screen Of Death when connecting to WiFi, plugging/unplugging ethernet, or modifying...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Of Death when connecting to WiFi, plugging/unplugging ethernet, or modifying...: Hello, I have a Lenovo ideapad 510 running Windows 10 64bit. Every time I try one of the following it blue screens with a "DPC Watchdog Violation Message" WiFi, plugging/unplugging ethernet, or modifying driver settings in device manager. I opened the dump file and saw...
  8. blue screen of death HP laptop

blue screen of death HP laptop: Hi My sons laptop has blue screen with code 0xc0000225. I have tried several suggestions to fix it but to no avail. Can't system restore as it says Norton preventing it, but can't access anything on laptop to uninstall Norton. Downloaded windows 10 onto new USB , but no...
  9. Laptop Screen Blue Tint when plug/unplug USB's

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Screen Blue Tint when plug/unplug USB's: Hi, this is my first post in TenForums! My laptop is acting weird since a couple months ago. The first time was when I unplugged my external hdd. I noticed that the screen colors turned a bit colder, some sort of blueish tint appeared. On all this time I've noticed that this...
  10. Blue Screen when unplugging USB

Blue Screen when unplugging USB: Recently I have been having a problem with my Acer laptop giving me the blue screen when I unplug USB devices. I'm attaching a link to the dump file posted on my google drive. Hoping someone can look at this dump file and tell me what is causing the problem....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. alienware blue screen of death when unplugged

2. computer blue screen when unpluged