Windows 10: Blue Screen on returning from Sleep Mode - Toshiba Laptop

Discus and support Blue Screen on returning from Sleep Mode - Toshiba Laptop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've done that before, but it would not hurt to do it again. Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TV2, Aug 29, 2015.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Blue Screen on returning from Sleep Mode - Toshiba Laptop

I've done that before, but it would not hurt to do it again.

2. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Mmmmm. Promising.

I've been dealing with this problem long enough to know not to declare victory too early.
    But so far things look good.

What happened is that when I went into power options as you suggested I noticed the option: "Password Protection on Wakeup" and decided that while I was there I might as well turn that annoying thing off. So I checked "Don't require a password" at the same time I unchecked Fast Start.

So when the machine Bluescreened right away I went back in to power options and re-checked Fast Start, but left the Password option turned off.

When I tested to see if the problem was better I discovered that the machine came out of Sleep super fast and no Bluescreen (using Start > Power > Sleep method). I tested again it came out again - fast and clean (using lid close method). The waking time to desktop both times is much faster then it was before.

Like I said - too early to tell now, but I am wondering if the glitch could ultimately be in the password function.

3. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Ahck! Never mind. Just Bluescreened.

4. Cliff S New Member

You've clean installed(1st post) and so there is no OEM crapware, right? Did you download the OEM drivers though for your laptop model? Is there maybe a BIOS update that fixes this issue?(my old laptop needed a new BIOS for such an issue for Windows 7).

Cliff S, Nov 27, 2015
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Yes. Clean install, always.
    Yes. All OEM drivers installed (checked installed drivers before nuking OEM installation and made a list).
    There is a BIOS update, I will do that eventually anyway, but there are only 2 fixes, not related to power management, so I am not holding my breath on it.

6. axe0 New Member
    Hi TV2,

Please run the dm log collector again for the new crashes.
    I'd like to check the files in case there is something useful.

7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    We may have a solution (I will post back if this is yet another premature test)

I went to the Toshiba website and noticed a new Knowledge Base article that caught my eye:
    "After resetting the PC in Windows 10, Blue/Black screens or long delays occur when suspending or resuming"

In the description: "These problems occur because Registry Keys were removed during the reset"

It occurred to me that a clean install could be similar to a reset situation, so decided the solution offered could apply to me.

The page offered a download of a Patch File installer to add the registry keys.
    Investigating the package I can see it installs two registry keys:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorA\Parameters\Device Controller0Phy0ANEnable = dword:00000000

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorA\Parameters\Device Controller0Phy1ANEnable = dword:00000000

Ran the patch, now it's been 6 sleep/wake cycles without a Bluescreen.
    I will confirm in a week if it holds. Sooner if not.

8. axe0 New Member

Ok, glad to hear that and sincerely hope it stays this way *Smile

9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I think I can now safely say that this was the solution to this problem. I can now use Sleep Mode as I wish without any problems.

Since iaStor is associated with Intel's AHCI driver, usually supplied with the Rapid Storage Technology driver, I think we can deduce that this problem has something to do with the functioning of the fixed disk coming out of S3 sleep mode.
    I'm not sure what the added parameters actually do to solve this, but it would seem that either Toshiba, or Intel, need to make these modifications in order to get the driver working properly in Windows 10.
    Toshiba ships their products with the modifications made, but if the end user does a clean install as I did (or evidently a Reset) the standard installation of the driver will not contain the mods and therefore will have this problem.

It would be interesting to know if these 2 modifications would work for all instances of this problem (which seems to be fairly common) or if it is only effective for Toshiba products.

Your thoughts on the matter are welcome

Thema:

1. Blue Screen on returning from Sleep Mode - Toshiba Laptop - Similar Threads - Blue Screen returning

2. blue screen INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    blue screen INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR in sleep mode: When I send the computer to sleep mode, then once a week or less often it does not go into sleep mode, but immediately turns off and looking through the minidumps gives the error INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR all the time. How to solve this problem?here's the last one:Microsoft R...
  3. blue screen INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR in sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    blue screen INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR in sleep mode: When I send the computer to sleep mode, then once a week or less often it does not go into sleep mode, but immediately turns off and looking through the minidumps gives the error INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR all the time. How to solve this problem?here's the last one:Microsoft R...
  4. Windows 11 Not Returning From Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Not Returning From Sleep Mode: Hi GuysI'm having issues with a new build specs as below.Processor 12th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz Installed RAM 64.0 GB 63.8 GB usable Device ID FB446C71-05C1-402A-B911-10B514086F2A Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA642 System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based...
  5. Windows 11 Not Returning From Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Not Returning From Sleep Mode: Hi GuysI'm having issues with a new build specs as below.Processor 12th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz Installed RAM 64.0 GB 63.8 GB usable Device ID FB446C71-05C1-402A-B911-10B514086F2A Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA642 System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based...
  6. Blue screen of death BSOD after laptop resumed from sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen of death BSOD after laptop resumed from sleep mode: Hello, My Dell G3579 laptop crashed after waking up from sleep mode with the code SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M 1000007e Steps that lead to the crash: - I recently experienced a lot of random blue screen of death crashes. It happened quite randomly so I updated...
  7. windows slowdown at return from sleep mode and hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    windows slowdown at return from sleep mode and hibernate: Windows 10 Pro 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE since about the December cumulative update for windows 10, when I wake the system, the login screen is acting like I am running windows on a 20 year old machine, not one less than a year old. the cursor...
  8. Toshiba Laptop E55-A5114/Sleep Mode Problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Toshiba Laptop E55-A5114/Sleep Mode Problem: I have been using a Toshiba Satellite E55 since 2015 and I've got some problems recently with Sleep Mode (when set by Power Management). The Start/Sleep Mode when deliberately set by the user still works (it wakes up by touching keyboard, power button or mouse). After...
  9. Return From Sleep

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Return From Sleep: My pc goes into sleep mode after 15 minutes, when I then press the spacebar to return to normal operation I get a random picture on screen, plus so odd overlayed messages. Then press enter and it asks for a password, press enter again and it logs in and goes back to normal -...
  10. Returning from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Returning from sleep: I have rather a strange problem. On returning from sleep mode when I open a program (any program) the PC will open multi copies of the program that I've clicked on. Taskbar won't open. Windows is up to date and my bios has been patched. Tried uninstalling KB4056892 - no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Controller0Phy1ANEnable