Windows 10: Blue screens caused by ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe

Discus and support Blue screens caused by ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently switched to a Asus rog strix z390-f motherboard after having problems with booting on my old one. Now I've been getting random bsod's nearly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by henriklöndahl, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Blue screens caused by ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe

I recently switched to a Asus rog strix z390-f motherboard after having problems with booting on my old one. Now I've been getting random bsod's nearly everytime i play a game. Descriptions from whocrashed:

System Information local

Computer name: DESKTOP-U3TJNO9
    Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 19041
    Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
    Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING
    CPU: GenuineIntel IntelR CoreTM i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz Intel8664, level: 6
    12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
    RAM: 34266963968 bytes 31.9GB

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
    C:\WINDOWS
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Fri 7/31/2020 2:11:37 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073120-5046-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe nt+0x3DDB60
    Bugcheck code: 0xEF 0xFFFF81876CC17140, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
    There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 7/31/2020 2:10:03 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\073120-5359-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe nt+0x3DDB60
    Bugcheck code: 0x3B 0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8075D425A38, 0xFFFFB880040E68B0, 0x0
    Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Crash dumps:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuIxGqgwK6bg-wy10yabvc0Ercl4?e=ZYPfC3

:)

henriklöndahl, Jul 31, 2020
  2. WyndFyre Win User

Blue Screen of Death by ntoskrnl.exe and ntdll.sys

Hello, my computer crashes inconsistently whenever I play a game. Here is the WhoCrashed excerpt from my crash :

On Sat 2/8/2020 12:20:16 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020820-8984-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C14E0)

Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFC086EC8DE300, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

On Sat 2/8/2020 12:20:16 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

This was probably caused by the following module: ntdll.sys (ntdll!ZwTerminateProcess+0x14)

Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFC086EC8DE300, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntdll.sys .

Google query: ntdll.sys CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

WyndFyre, Jul 31, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Blue screen error caused by ntoskrnl.exe

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. I have analyzed the dump files and will need the following information:

• When do you get the Blue Screen error?
    • Are you able to boot the computer to Desktop?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type: winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit Enter.

The Blue screen error caused by ntoskrnl.exe is related to memory and possibly a faulty driver. I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Boot in to safe mode

I suggest you to boot the computer into safe mode and see if the issue persists in safe mode. Please refer the article

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10
    and boot the computer into safe mode.

If the computer works fine in safe mode, I suggest you to perform a clean boot in safe mode environment to isolate the issue.

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer. However,
    that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

If performing a clean boot fixes the issue then, please refer to the section
    How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot
    to check which program is causing the issue.

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Method 2: Run memory diagnostics

Since the Blue screen error is related to memory, I suggest you to run a Memory diagnostic on the computer to diagnose the memory installed on the computer.
    Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type mdsched and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Restart now and check for problems.

For additional information, refer the article
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Manoura Win User

Blue screens caused by ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe

Computer crashed, related to ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe

My pc has been occasionally crashing(BSOD) when playing games. At first, the minidump logs said it was because of faulty RAM, so I ran the memory diagnostic tool and it said hardware problems were found. So I googled and found a post that said that when
    they updated their RAM, it didnt say hardware problems were found, and weirldy my preinstalled BIOS was a BIOS that the site of the mb's maker said it wasnt recommened for pinnacle ridge (aka my ridge), so i updated to an earlier version that didnt say that
    and when i ran the memory diagnostic tool it didnt find any problems. Now, 1 hour ago when my pc crashed and i looked at the logs, instead of saying something about ram it said, at the same time, ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe failed. I'm willing to upload minidump
    and system log files. Sumit Dhiman, pls help me

On Sun 01/03/2020 12:33:21 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030120-7812-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C1510)

Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFA90438789340, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

On Sun 01/03/2020 12:33:21 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

This was probably caused by the following module: ntdll.sys (ntdll!NtTerminateProcess+0x14)

Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFA90438789340, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntdll.sys .

Google query: ntdll.sys CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Manoura, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

Blue screens caused by ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe

1. Blue screens caused by ntdll.sys and ntoskrnl.exe - Similar Threads - Blue screens caused

2. Qwlan64.sys blue screen cause of shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Qwlan64.sys blue screen cause of shutdown: Hi,I have 2 new DELL Latitude rugged laptops. Both of them frequently crash and gives the follow code.System thread not handledStopcode QWLAN64.SYSI had multiple contacts with Dell but they can’t find the cause of this issue. Did someone had this before and has a solution for...
  3. Qwlan64.sys blue screen cause of shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Qwlan64.sys blue screen cause of shutdown: Hi,I have 2 new DELL Latitude rugged laptops. Both of them frequently crash and gives the follow code.System thread not handledStopcode QWLAN64.SYSI had multiple contacts with Dell but they can’t find the cause of this issue. Did someone had this before and has a solution for...
  4. ntoskrnl Random Blue Screens

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ntoskrnl Random Blue Screens: Minidumps from crashes provided here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgaXUUEKKwTvigGTCO59apS-Bfz9?e=VE1yOISince building my new system and installing Windows 11, my system experiences odd crashes during normal use. I've collected the dump files in the link above.OS: Windows 11...
  5. ntoskrnl Random Blue Screens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ntoskrnl Random Blue Screens: Minidumps from crashes provided here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgaXUUEKKwTvigGTCO59apS-Bfz9?e=VE1yOISince building my new system and installing Windows 11, my system experiences odd crashes during normal use. I've collected the dump files in the link above.OS: Windows 11...
  6. Blue screen wdf01000.sys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen wdf01000.sys: Please assist. Recently, been receiving random blue screen restarts, displaying the stop code 'wdf01000.sys'. Nothing specific is being run to trigger this code, which makes it difficult to pinpoint. After researching stop code, I began updating the drivers. Updated all...
  7. Several blue screens caused by ntoskrnl.sys, nvlddmkm.sys, and dxgmms2.sys

Several blue screens caused by ntoskrnl.sys, nvlddmkm.sys, and dxgmms2.sys: Subject gives you the gist of the issue. Im getting several blue screens from these sources while playing video games or even using chrome. I've tried a lot of fixes for this, such as resetting my pc and clean installing my nvidia drivers. I've done memory diagnostic tests,...
  8. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe: My computer has crashed a few times often when i play games. I bought more ram because i thought that it was the issue but it didn't help. It did work a few days but then the crashes came back. After that i fixed the BSOD´s by lowering the graphics and the resolution on the...
  9. Blue screen of death caused by dxgmms2.sys, ntoskrnl.exe and nvlddmkm.sys

Blue screen of death caused by dxgmms2.sys, ntoskrnl.exe and nvlddmkm.sys: [ATTACH]Anyone know what to do next as i don't know what these files are and how to fix them. Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-of-death-caused-by-dxgmms2sys/db0cf17d-592a-4203-9550-46d66bd09565
  10. BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0

BSOD ntoskrnl..exe+1b35e0: Help. Getting 4-5 of these a day. Running latest Windows 10 Pro, Xibo signboard, Docker with Xibo server. Always the same 'Caused By Address'. Put in new memory, ran memory test, no errors, all drivers up to date. Change disk type to AHCA, made sure windows driver was...