Windows 10: Bluetooth audio from another source is interrupted even when windows sound is muted

Discus and support Bluetooth audio from another source is interrupted even when windows sound is muted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones which can be connected to two sources at once. When one of the source sends some sound the headphones... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Artem Kliatchkine, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Bluetooth audio from another source is interrupted even when windows sound is muted

I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones which can be connected to two sources at once. When one of the source sends some sound the headphones automatically switch to it, its a standard behavior in such a case.

Scenario:

The headphones are connected to the windows 10 PC (Surface book 2, the most recent windows version, but previous versions were the same).

At the same time they are connected to android phone.

PC sound is muted.

Music plays from the phone.

A notification comes on PC (any kind, let's say an email).

The music get interrupted and the headphones switch to PC input. No sound is transferred because PC audio is muted.

Obviously even though windows audio is muted it sends some "silence" signal over Bluetooth causing headphones to switch audio input to PC.

I would expect that Windows shouldn't bother Bluetooth audio devices with such signals when the audio is muted.

:)

Artem Kliatchkine, Nov 6, 2018

2. Audio sound mute and un-mutes.

Hello,

Please provide us more information to help you further:

• How long have you been experiencing this problem?
    • Have you made any recent changes to the computer?
    • Have you updated the audio drivers?

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab03

Method 2:

If the issue persists, then try to uninstall and re-install the audio driver.

• Press Windows Logo Key+X. Click On
      Device Manager
    • In the list of hardware categories, look for the device that you want to update, and then right-click on it to
      Uninstall.
    • Follow onscreen instructions to uninstall it.
    • To re-install, either you can restart the system or install the driver from the manufacturer’s website (recommended as they will have updated drivers).
    For reference:

Try all the steps provided in the link below and check if it helps.

Fix sound problems:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Anju Thekkethil, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Will0330 Win User
    Skype not muting other sounds in Windows 10

I think I may have solved this. It appears that windows has issues with knowing what to mute.

I am using a jabra bluetooth headset on windows 10 version 1703 ... I had two issues:

• When in a skype call, if a skype, windows, outlook or other notification happened it would play over top of my skype call, and also mute my mic, so no one could hear me
    • The fact that the above issue occurred meant that none of my sounds were being muted either
    How did I fix it?

• Go to device manager and find your headset/audio device
    • Disable all audio devices associated with your headset except for one (I had 3 "jabra motion headset devices" showing... and this is after several removal and fresh installs of the headset)
    • Go to sounds (right click on sound icon in taskbar, click "sounds")
    • Ensure only one headset device is listed in your playback and recording tabs (if there are more, disable them)
    • Set your headset as the default playback and recording device
    • You may need to restart after this is all complete (my skype would no longer recognize that I had a mic on my headset)
    • test on skype!
    Once windows only had a single headset device, and it was default, it no longer cuts out during calls, no longer mutes me to play a sound, and no sounds are played during my skype calls. AMAZING!

Will0330, Nov 6, 2018
  4. Bluetooth audio from another source is interrupted even when windows sound is muted

No sound while playing audio and video files.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer to a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Which is the application that you are using to play the files?
    • Did you try the same on a different player?
    • Did you perform any troubleshooting steps?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the volume is set low or in mute state in Volume Mixer.

• Right click on sound icon.
    • Open Volume Mixer check for the application that you are playing the files with and increase the volume and check.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to run “Playing audio” troubleshooter to diagnose and fix the issue.

Follow these Steps to run Playing Audio Troubleshooter in Windows 10.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Playing audio.

Also refer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the sound issue. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

Bluetooth audio from another source is interrupted even when windows sound is muted

1. Bluetooth audio from another source is interrupted even when windows sound is muted - Similar Threads - Bluetooth audio another

2. Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.: Whenever I mute an app in Windows 10, the audio will still play as long as another app has audio playing. The YouTube video below shows me muting Minecraft, which will stay muted until I start the sound test for my headset.https://youtu.be/bKjd_Mi2rhsThe same issue happens if...
  3. Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.: Whenever I mute an app in Windows 10, the audio will still play as long as another app has audio playing. The YouTube video below shows me muting Minecraft, which will stay muted until I start the sound test for my headset.https://youtu.be/bKjd_Mi2rhsThe same issue happens if...
  4. Windows 10 Audio only mutes when all other audio sources are muted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. The Bluetooth speaker interrupts the sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Bluetooth speaker interrupts the sound: Hi, I have an Asus Bluetooth BT-400 USB adapter and I use it to connect the JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth speaker. I have Windows 10 Pro 21H1. Recently updated After Windows update to 21H1 they still pair but the sound started "flickering", I mean there are interruptions in the sound...
  6. The Bluetooth speaker interrupts the sound

The Bluetooth speaker interrupts the sound: Hi, I have an Asus Bluetooth BT-400 USB adapter and I use it to connect the JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth speaker. I have Windows 10 Pro 21H1. Recently updated After Windows update to 21H1 they still pair but the sound started "flickering", I mean there are interruptions in the sound...
  7. Bluetooth audio from 2 sources

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth audio from 2 sources: I usually watch Netflix with friends using the Teleparty extension, and we do a Google/Zoom meet along with it for better experience. However, when I connect my bluetooth headset, I can only hear audio from either Netflix or the meet. When I connect wired headset, I can hear...
  8. Bluetooth speaker interrupts sound

Bluetooth speaker interrupts sound: Hi, I've got Asus Bluetooth BT-400 USB adapter and I use it to connect JBL Flip 5 Bluetooth speaker. There was no problem with Windows 10 Pro 1909. After the upgrade of Windows to 2004 Flip 5 still pairs but the sound started "flashing", I mean there are interruptions in...
  9. Sound Plays Even When Muted

Sound Plays Even When Muted: Hello all, I am running Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13, 9360. I leave my sound on mute but the computer will still make noises (when I try to close a file before saving, that bell noise or videos will start playing on open tabs and their sound can be heard). I have tried...
  10. Annoying Static Sound Even When Muted...

Annoying Static Sound Even When Muted...: I have ASUS X540LA Windows 10 64 bit Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.104). I am getting a static sound even when muted. The sound isn't coming through my earphones but is still heard from the pc even with the earphones plugged in. I hear what I expect to hear, and nothing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system audio muted when pausing bluetooth audio source