Windows 10: Bluetooth devices output only as Hands-free Telephony quality

Discus and support Bluetooth devices output only as Hands-free Telephony quality in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Bluetooth adapter USB-BT400 USB from Asus and I am trying to connect Bluetooth devices to my PC. However I keep having the same issue where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by G2money, Jan 13, 2021.

1. G2money Win User

Bluetooth devices output only as Hands-free Telephony quality

I have a Bluetooth adapter USB-BT400 USB from Asus and I am trying to connect Bluetooth devices to my PC. However I keep having the same issue where Windows 10 identifies these devices as 'Bluetooth Handsfree audio'. This causes the audio to become very poor quality, play in slow-motion and stutter.

I have tried a lot of the solutions on this forum. I have reinstalled Windows drivers. ReInstalled the proper driver from Asus. Tested the USB adapter on a different PC it produced clear audio. Used different Bluetooth devices JBL speakers and Sony headphones. I have unchecked 'Hands-free Telephony' in 'Devices and Printers'. I have tried the solutions from the links below like CMD 'cleanup' and others as I have been at this for days.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluetooth-headset-will-only-show-as-hands-free/e7c5ce82-39cf-4568-b009-d96cfd808658

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluetooth-earbuds-only-shows-as-hands-free-not/afd43b8c-a1e9-4cd1-8141-46c169fa4fe6

https://superuser.com/questions/471767/bluetooth-headset-pairs-and-appears-in-sound-devices-but-shows-as-disconnected

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluetooth-speakers-get-identified-as-handsfree/23cf5968-d811-4703-84ca-afdd7b0d4999

I am at a complete loss. This PC was built just last month with new components and a fresh Windows 10 Home install.

Any insights would be most appreciated!

:)

G2money, Jan 13, 2021

2. Bluetooth headset quality issues

My bluetooth headphones switch to low audio quality.

• They are fine after getting paired the first time
    • I do not have hands - free telephony selected
    • When I turn them on again they only switch to low quality
    • I have to forget the device and re-pair them

HOW DOES A COMPANY LIKE MICROSOFT NOT HAVE THIS SORTED OUT YET. I GET ON MY CHROMEBOOK AND DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH ANY OF THIS. IF THERE WAS AND SORT OF COMPETITION MICROSOFT WOULD BE SCREWED FOR THEIR ANTI USER PRACTICES.

JustinNagy, Jan 13, 2021
  3. bro67 Win User
    Bluetooth Paired but not listed on Select playback device..

Do they work if you connect them through BT with your cellphone or tablet? Google is your friend. Try the following. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...&v4h=winxptab1 Uninstall the driver that you installed. Windows 10 should load the correct driver when you plug the dongle into the computer. Check if the following settings for the Bluetooth speaker is enabled by default. If not, let’s enable it and check if it solves the issue.

You can follow the steps to enable the Bluetooth audio service:

a) Press Windows key + X key together and select Control Panel from the list.

b) Click on Hardware and Sound and select Devices and Printers.

c) In Devices and Printers, locate Bluetooth speaker device and Right Click on the device.

d) Click on Properties and navigate to Services tab.

e) Select “Audio Sink”, "Hands free Telephony" and "Remote Control".

f) Click on Apply.

bro67, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Zhiar Win User

Bluetooth Headset - Windows 10 - appearing as Bluetooth hands-free

I recently bough the following product from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019ZEHA36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Essentially it works in terms of connecting etc and bonding via Bluetooth.

The issue lies with windows picking this up as a Bluetooth hands-free device, see icon below.
    Hands-free ICON

This I think is part of the problem, furthermore, under sound control there is the following options, Stereo and Hands-free.
    Playback devices

Please for the time being ignore that the headset is disconnected.

Under recording devices its the following: Recording devices

Putting all of this together I have the following options:

• use the Handsfree option but suffer with low quality sound through headset (channel 1)
    • Use the Stereo as default - which means good quality sound (channel 2) - but also means that the device no longer has any Mic associated with it.

Furthermore, searching across the web, it was noted to disable hands free "under services, under device manager". However this just means that it defaults to the Stereo every time and the hands free (which includes a Mic) does not work.

I have also connected a USB blutooth device (running V10) as supposed to the internal, but still not luck. I have re-installed the device multiple times with reboots and removing it from devices.

Please can someone help here with any suggestion, I am very close to just returning this item as its not working properly...

Zhiar, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Bluetooth devices output only as Hands-free Telephony quality - Similar Threads - Bluetooth devices output

2. Permanent solution low quality audio hands-free telephony

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanent solution low quality audio hands-free telephony: Over the past couple of years I have had a problem that i haven't been able to find a suitable solution for. I use a Bluetooth headset for everyday use, alongside a dedicated microphone. But when I connect my headset, programs for example games and other programs utilizing...
  3. Permanent solution low quality audio hands-free telephony

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanent solution low quality audio hands-free telephony: Over the past couple of years I have had a problem that i haven't been able to find a suitable solution for. I use a Bluetooth headset for everyday use, alongside a dedicated microphone. But when I connect my headset, programs for example games and other programs utilizing...
  4. Fix For Low Bluetooth Audio Quality Due To Hands Free Telephony On Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix For Low Bluetooth Audio Quality Due To Hands Free Telephony On Windows 11.: You guys have been facing this issue with your Bluetooth audio devices like tws and headsets. Here is the perfect guide to fix that.It was easy to disable the Hands-Free Telephony on Windows 7-10. But on arriving at Windows 11, we cannot open devices and printers as most...
  5. Fix For Low Bluetooth Audio Quality Due To Hands Free Telephony On Windows 11.

Fix For Low Bluetooth Audio Quality Due To Hands Free Telephony On Windows 11.: You guys have been facing this issue with your Bluetooth audio devices like tws and headsets. Here is the perfect guide to fix that.It was easy to disable the Hands-Free Telephony on Windows 7-10. But on arriving at Windows 11, we cannot open devices and printers as most...
  6. Bluetooth headhones' Hands-Free device Output only disappears randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth headhones' Hands-Free device Output only disappears randomly: When I first installed Windows 11 everything worked fine. My bluetooth headphones had 3 devices: Headphones Output, Hands-Free Headset Output and Hands-Free Headset Input. As expected, Hands-Free Output only works when also the input device is used as well, as the headphones...
  7. Bluetooth headhones' Hands-Free device Output only disappears randomly

Bluetooth headhones' Hands-Free device Output only disappears randomly: When I first installed Windows 11 everything worked fine. My bluetooth headphones had 3 devices: Headphones Output, Hands-Free Headset Output and Hands-Free Headset Input. As expected, Hands-Free Output only works when also the input device is used as well, as the headphones...
  8. Headset Hands free telephony

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headset Hands free telephony: Hi. I have been using my headset with my Windows 10 PC for a while now. But the sound quality went bad and I searched for a solution in youtube. I was told to go to devices and printers and go to properties of the headset and then uncheck the Hands-free telephony box. After...
  9. Bluetooth Hands-Free Microphone and Sound Quality

Bluetooth Hands-Free Microphone and Sound Quality: Greetings, Due to Covid-19 I had to stay at home and attend a lot of video call meetings. Sadly I found out using bluetooth headphones is not really optimal for these cases. Then I did some research: It looks like I can either use my bluetooth headset as headphones...
  10. Bluetooth headset will only show as hands-free device, but not stereo.

Bluetooth headset will only show as hands-free device, but not stereo.: I'm using SkullCandy Crusher headphones with a dell windows 10 PC. They were working before I went on vacation. Before vacation, in the sound control panel the headset would show up twice, one as stereo, and one as hands-free AG. I would have the Stereo one as my default...