Windows 10: Bluetooth headphones can't use stereo, only hands free audio

Discus and support Bluetooth headphones can't use stereo, only hands free audio in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello there!I recently bought new headphones. I never had Bluetooth headphones before so I also had to buy a usb bluetooth dongle.I can connect my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ren66, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Ren66 Win User

Bluetooth headphones can't use stereo, only hands free audio

Hello there!I recently bought new headphones. I never had Bluetooth headphones before so I also had to buy a usb bluetooth dongle.I can connect my headphones but if I connect them, I can only use them with hands free audio and not with stereo audio. In the bluetooth settings they also only show up as "voice connected" and not "voice and audio connected". I do have audio though but it's really bad because it's only the hands free audio. There is no possibility for me to select them as stereo audio because it just doesn't exist. I have already tried everything but I didn't find any solution so f

:)

Ren66, Oct 15, 2021
  2. MisterEd Win User

Stereo Bluetooth Headphones do not reproduce stereo sound

Bluetooth 4.x headsets (headphones with microphone) have two modes:
    1. Stereo headset speakers with NO microphone
    2. Mono headset speakers with microphone

I see in the listing for your headphones it shows a microphone. Make sure your the audio is configured correctly so that you have stereo headphone speakers.

With your headphones connected with Bluetooth

Left-click on little speaker (bottom right on desktop)

Bluetooth headphones can't use stereo, only hands free audio [​IMG]

You should see current speaker for computer
    In this example headphones in stereo is selected

If you click on Headphones you will bring up all options

To see more…
    Right-click on little speaker (bottom right on desktop)

Select Sounds from list

If you want Stereo Headphones but NO microphone

Select Playback tab
    Make sure Headphones is the current playback device

Select Recording tab
    Make sure Microphone array (or similar) is the current recording device

MisterEd, Oct 15, 2021
  3. MisterEd Win User
    Computer Won't Use Headphone Mic

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

If you are using Bluetooth you will find there is a gotcha when using a headset with a microphone. With Bluetooth 4.x there is not enough bandwidth for both the headset's stereo speakers and the microphone at the same time. If the headset's speakers are used in mono mode then the microphone will work. Here is the information from my computer:
    I I left-click on speaker icon on taskbar tray I see my options for the speakers:

• Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) = Laptops built-in speakers
    • Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Stereo) = Headphones stereo mode
    • Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio) = Headphones mono mode
    I found out that if I select "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio)" the headset microphone will work.

However, I found that next time the computer might choose "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Stereo)". Then the headset speakers will work but the the headset microphone will not work.

To ensure that the right selection is always done automatically I have to go further and set the default to "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio)".
    Note I can always override this at any time. To do this...
    I right-click on speaker icon on taskbar tray and left-click on Sounds

The first tab Playback is for the speakers

• Headset = Headphones mono mode
    • Headphones = Headphones stereo mode
    • Speakers = Laptops built-in speakers

The second tab Recording is for the microphone

• Headset = Headset's microphone
    • Microphone Array = Laptop's built-in microphone
    • Stereo Mix = N/A

To ensure that both the headset speakers and microphone work at the same time I set the default playback to Headset. This will put the headset in mono mode and allow the microphone to work. Note that if I disconnect the headset the computer will automatically revert back to using the built-in speakers and microphone.

MisterEd, Oct 15, 2021
  4. Bluetooth headphones can't use stereo, only hands free audio

Surface Headphones will not switch Bluetooth profiles from Hands-Free to Stereo

Hello,

I am using the Surface Headphones for both music and softphone applications such as dialpad and shoretel connect. When the headphones are initially turned on, the stereo audio (headphones profile) is playing and is great. However, if I need to jump onto
    a call, the application will switch to hands-free mode. This is fine and is to be expected, but when I am done with the call, the profile will STAY in handsfree mode. To revert back to my headphones stereo audio, I need to manually navigate to the Sounds and
    disconnect the Headset.

I've confirmed that all of my bluetooth drivers are update to date via the device manager and have also tried to uninstall/reinstall the bluetooth drivers. Additionally, my Surface headphones are update to date as per the Cortana Devices app.

Is this something that Windows supports? I would imagine that bluetooth devices should be able to automatically switch between the "Headphones" and "Handsfree" profile.

Thanks,

Ben

Ben DeWitte, Oct 15, 2021
Thema:

Bluetooth headphones can't use stereo, only hands free audio

1. Bluetooth headphones can't use stereo, only hands free audio - Similar Threads - Bluetooth headphones can't

2. I cant use stereo audio with my headphones, and i can only use hands free audio.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant use stereo audio with my headphones, and i can only use hands free audio.: As the title says, i cannot use stereo audio. I have tried disabling hands free audio, but when i do that i dont get any audio. And when i try to connect stereo via right clicking the speaking thing and going to playback, it just doesn’t connect....
  3. Bluetooth Headphones 'Stereo' option is blocked. Only 'Hands-Free AG audio' works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth Headphones 'Stereo' option is blocked. Only 'Hands-Free AG audio' works: My Boat Airdopes 441p Bluetooth headphones were working perfectly fine. One day the audio quality sucked all of a sudden.The Bluetooth device 'Airdopes 441p' shows connected in the Bluetooth menu.However, when I open the sounds tab from the volume tray and select the...
  4. Bluetooth Headphones 'Stereo' option is blocked. Only 'Hands-Free AG audio' works

Bluetooth Headphones 'Stereo' option is blocked. Only 'Hands-Free AG audio' works: My Boat Airdopes 441p Bluetooth headphones were working perfectly fine. One day the audio quality sucked all of a sudden.The Bluetooth device 'Airdopes 441p' shows connected in the Bluetooth menu.However, when I open the sounds tab from the volume tray and select the...
  5. Bluetooth Headphones 'Stereo' option is blocked. Only 'Hands-Free AG audio' works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free: Hello,My Bluetooth Jabra 85t headphones only connect in the stereo mode and the hands-free mode, which supports the microphone, shows disconnected in audio devices. See screenshot below.This prevents me from using the microphone function....
  7. Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free

Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free: Hello,My Bluetooth Jabra 85t headphones only connect in the stereo mode and the hands-free mode, which supports the microphone, shows disconnected in audio devices. See screenshot below.This prevents me from using the microphone function....
  8. Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free

9. Bluetooth audio device only connects as hands-free audio headset; disconnects headphone/stereo

Bluetooth audio device only connects as hands-free audio headset; disconnects headphone/stereo: Hello, While there have been issues like mine in the past, I think mines a little special. I've been able to connect my bluetooth headset, howeverI would prefer to use it as an audio output only. In the past I have been able to do this, however now I've run into some...
  10. Bluetooth stereo and hands free

Bluetooth stereo and hands free: okay so I bought a wireless headphone a week ago and it works perfectly on my devices but as soon as I connect to windows it separates my headphone into two profiles one as a bluetooth headphone which allows me to hear audio fine and the other profile is bluetooth headset...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stereotype headphones no sound only hands free have sound

2. how to use stereo and hands-free at the same time

3. Bluetooth earbuds only shows as hands free not stereo

4. headphone only on hands free,
  5. stereo not working but handsfree works pc,
  6. can only hear from hands-free ag audio,
  7. bluetooth headphones only shows hands free audio,
  8. free audio but,
  9. Bluetooth mic can only handsfree