Windows 10: Bluetooth Headset unable to switch between "hands-free" and Stereo

Discus and support Bluetooth Headset unable to switch between "hands-free" and Stereo in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had what seems to be a fairly common problem with my Bluetooth headset. the audio would sound canny and horrible most of the time. i found a solution... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by McNoobly-, Jul 9, 2020.

1. McNoobly- Win User

Bluetooth Headset unable to switch between "hands-free" and Stereo

I had what seems to be a fairly common problem with my Bluetooth headset. the audio would sound canny and horrible most of the time. i found a solution that said to uncheck the "Hands-free Telephony" box under the services tab, in devices, for the headphones. doing so allowed me to switch from the "hands-free AG audio" to "stereo" version of my headphones in the playback tab. unfortunately this also disables the microphone on my headset. Now i am unable to switch back from stereo to the hands-free AG audio version, even when rechecking the "hands-free telephony" box, completely locking me out from using my mic. at least the audio sounds good now, but i would like the ability to use my microphone.

:)

McNoobly-, Jul 9, 2020
  2. Zhiar Win User

Bluetooth Headset - Windows 10 - appearing as Bluetooth hands-free

I recently bough the following product from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019ZEHA36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Essentially it works in terms of connecting etc and bonding via Bluetooth.

The issue lies with windows picking this up as a Bluetooth hands-free device, see icon below.
    Hands-free ICON

This I think is part of the problem, furthermore, under sound control there is the following options, Stereo and Hands-free.
    Playback devices

Please for the time being ignore that the headset is disconnected.

Under recording devices its the following: Recording devices

Putting all of this together I have the following options:

• use the Handsfree option but suffer with low quality sound through headset (channel 1)
    • Use the Stereo as default - which means good quality sound (channel 2) - but also means that the device no longer has any Mic associated with it.

Furthermore, searching across the web, it was noted to disable hands free "under services, under device manager". However this just means that it defaults to the Stereo every time and the hands free (which includes a Mic) does not work.

I have also connected a USB blutooth device (running V10) as supposed to the internal, but still not luck. I have re-installed the device multiple times with reboots and removing it from devices.

Please can someone help here with any suggestion, I am very close to just returning this item as its not working properly...

Zhiar, Jul 9, 2020
  3. OmaR1153 Win User
    What's the difference between stereo and hands free?

I've experimented with my own bluetooth headset and here's my results:

• the "Stereo" device is the main high-quality playback device of the headset, while the "hands-free" device is a lower quality monophonic playback device
    • Attempting to capture audio from the bluetooth microphone (which is also labeled "hands-free") disables the main playback device, but not the hands-free playback device.
    • By having one application play audio from one playback device and another application playing from the other, the hands-free device also disables the main device.

My conclusion is that the hands-free devices is inteded to be used when there's a two-way audio communication happening, but otherwise, use the main playback device. What I still don't understand is why the main audio playback device is being disabled when the hands-free devices are being used. Couldn't they both be on at the same time? That's when I hit a wall.

If you're woundering about things like teamspeak, discord, skype, etc. and why you are unable to hear other applications when you join a call or a voice chat, it's because these communication applications enable the hands-free devices, which in turn disables the main devices playing back other applications' audio. To solve this, you can use an external microphone, like the built-in one, or you can switch to the lower quality hands-free playback device. You can change all this from the "Sound" settings on Windows.

OmaR1153, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Bluetooth Headset unable to switch between "hands-free" and Stereo

Surface Headphones will not switch Bluetooth profiles from Hands-Free to Stereo

Hello,

I am using the Surface Headphones for both music and softphone applications such as dialpad and shoretel connect. When the headphones are initially turned on, the stereo audio (headphones profile) is playing and is great. However, if I need to jump onto
    a call, the application will switch to hands-free mode. This is fine and is to be expected, but when I am done with the call, the profile will STAY in handsfree mode. To revert back to my headphones stereo audio, I need to manually navigate to the Sounds and
    disconnect the Headset.

I've confirmed that all of my bluetooth drivers are update to date via the device manager and have also tried to uninstall/reinstall the bluetooth drivers. Additionally, my Surface headphones are update to date as per the Cortana Devices app.

Is this something that Windows supports? I would imagine that bluetooth devices should be able to automatically switch between the "Headphones" and "Handsfree" profile.

Thanks,

Ben

Ben DeWitte, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

Bluetooth Headset unable to switch between "hands-free" and Stereo

1. Bluetooth Headset unable to switch between "hands-free" and Stereo - Similar Threads - Bluetooth Headset unable

2. How to change my bluetooth headset from hand free to stereo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change my bluetooth headset from hand free to stereo: I had tried that Bluetooth service Hand free telephony Method but i can't hear sound after that and it won't show up in audio https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-my-bluetooth-headset-from-hand-free/ed66f48a-4e06-4164-b42b-b7e4766a2d95
  3. How to change my bluetooth headset from hand free to stereo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change my bluetooth headset from hand free to stereo: I had tried that Bluetooth service Hand free telephony Method but i can't hear sound after that and it won't show up in audio https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-my-bluetooth-headset-from-hand-free/ed66f48a-4e06-4164-b42b-b7e4766a2d95
  4. How to prevent switch from Stereo to Hands-Free profile on Bluetooth headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent switch from Stereo to Hands-Free profile on Bluetooth headset: I just got a new Bluetooth headset Philips PH802 and whenever the various video-conference platforms Teams and Zoom use the device's microphone, instead of my laptop's, there is terrible distortion on the audio output. The headset works just fine on my Android on the same...
  5. How to prevent switch from Stereo to Hands-Free profile on Bluetooth headset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to prevent switch from Stereo to Hands-Free profile on Bluetooth headset: I just got a new Bluetooth headset Philips PH802 and whenever the various video-conference platforms Teams and Zoom use the device's microphone, instead of my laptop's, there is terrible distortion on the audio output. The headset works just fine on my Android on the same...
  6. Bluetooth headset audio problems (hands-free unusable, stereo choppy)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth headset audio problems (hands-free unusable, stereo choppy): Hi, and thank you for following me on this journey trying not to pull my hair from my head as I try to enjoy music on my new laptop. Long story short: I've treated myself to an "ASUS TUF506IV-AS76 TUF A15 Gaming Laptop", but I'm bumping into some issues as I've started using...
  7. Bluetooth headset Hands-Free AG audio no stereo sound

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bluetooth headset Hands-Free AG audio no stereo sound: I have a Bluetooth 5.0 sony headset which I use with both a laptop and a phone. When I switch from the phone to the laptop it connects fine but it displays Connected (voice) instead of Connected (voice, music) and the sound has terrible quality, no stereo sound. The Windows...
  8. Bluetooth stereo and hands free

Bluetooth stereo and hands free: okay so I bought a wireless headphone a week ago and it works perfectly on my devices but as soon as I connect to windows it separates my headphone into two profiles one as a bluetooth headphone which allows me to hear audio fine and the other profile is bluetooth headset...
  9. Bluetooth headset will only show as hands-free device, but not stereo.

Bluetooth headset will only show as hands-free device, but not stereo.: I'm using SkullCandy Crusher headphones with a dell windows 10 PC. They were working before I went on vacation. Before vacation, in the sound control panel the headset would show up twice, one as stereo, and one as hands-free AG. I would have the Stereo one as my default...
  10. Surface Headphones will not switch Bluetooth profiles from Hands-Free to Stereo

Surface Headphones will not switch Bluetooth profiles from Hands-Free to Stereo: Hello, I am using the Surface Headphones for both music and softphone applications such as dialpad and shoretel connect. When the headphones are initially turned on, the stereo audio (headphones profile) is playing and is great. However, if I need to jump onto a call, the...