Windows 10: Bluetooth Settings for Surface Dial Wheel crashes settings app every time

Discus and support Bluetooth Settings for Surface Dial Wheel crashes settings app every time in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have two machines both running Windows 11: Desktop and a Surface Pro X.I've tried connecting the Dial to both machines. The device connects and works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MattKenefick, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Bluetooth Settings for Surface Dial Wheel crashes settings app every time

I have two machines both running Windows 11: Desktop and a Surface Pro X.I've tried connecting the Dial to both machines. The device connects and works as expected, but going into the Settings -> Bluetooth -> Wheel area immediately crashes settings every time on both devices.It doesn't flash any settings before crashing; it just shows an empty page like it's transitioning, then crashes like as-if it was loading the settings from the Dial but couldn't understand them or something.I need to access the settings and it's a frustratingly consistent failure.How can I resolve this?

:)

MattKenefick, Oct 27, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Five things you need to know about Surface Dial

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/devices/20...-surface-dial/

Brink, Oct 27, 2021
  3. SETTINGS APP CRASHES

Hello, thanks for replying to my question. Fortunately, I was able to solve the problem before viewing your reply. I created a temporary new user account using command prompt and used the new user account to update windows 10. As soon as my windows 10
    is up to date the settings app no longer crash. For the time being, the problem is solved. If in the future this problem surface again I might try the steps you suggested.

Kelsey Mun, Oct 27, 2021
  4. Bluetooth Settings for Surface Dial Wheel crashes settings app every time

Corrupt Surface Dial install need help to completely remove app tools

Hi All,

Surface Dial installed and working well except for one frustrating issue.

I have created an App tool (in Settings>Wheel) for music music writing app (Dorico). This is my primary reason for buying the wheel.

On launch of Dorico the app tool created was not available (just default tools), even though it is shown as created in settings.

In case this was app specific, I created other app tools for various apps and these all work as expected. So I deleted the Dorico tools and re-created a quick test tool for Dorico. This showed up in Dorico but didn't have the function I require because it was set up purely as a test.

I have then gone back to settings and edited the Dorico app tool. Here's the issue. On launching Dorico my newly edited version of the tools is now there, but the earlier test version is.

I have then removed the Dorico tools from Surface Dial and created the tool again. On launching Dorico, the new tool is now showing on the dial but the original test one is.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the dial twice and also reinstalled Dorico. No change.

When I uninstall and reinstall the dial all previously created tools come back, this seems to show it does not completely uninstall.

I have spent a couple of hours with Microsoft support, but they don't believe this is the driver not being uninstalled but directly related to Dorico. I asked for help to totally remove Dial and reinstall from scratch but they were unable to assist.

I may be wrong, but to me it appears there must be some kind of (sorry reaching the end of my knowledge now) preference, database type file which stores these custom setups for the dial and it's this that needs to be removed to be able to start again.

Very frustrating, because I can get the dial to do everything I want, but I am currently stuffed with the application for which I need it.

Sorry for the long post, but tried to offer as much info as possible.

THanks

Paul

paulmellors, Oct 27, 2021
Thema:

Bluetooth Settings for Surface Dial Wheel crashes settings app every time

1. Bluetooth Settings for Surface Dial Wheel crashes settings app every time - Similar Threads - Bluetooth Settings Surface

2. Settings app crashes every time I open taskbar settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings app crashes every time I open taskbar settings: I can't personalize my taskbar like hiding unnecessary buttons but every time I open the taskbar settings the settings app crashes after about 3 seconds. I checked the Event Manager it shows:My OS information:System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Edition...
  3. Settings app crashes every time I open taskbar settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings app crashes every time I open taskbar settings: I can't personalize my taskbar like hiding unnecessary buttons but every time I open the taskbar settings the settings app crashes after about 3 seconds. I checked the Event Manager it shows:My OS information:System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Edition...
  4. Settings app crashes every time I open taskbar settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Settings app crashing every time I open it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings app crashing every time I open it: My settings app crashes every time I open it, I've tried 5 different "solutions", tried reverting to an earlier version using system restore and even reinstalled windows but nothing has changed except I actually got an error message after one of them, as below:Does anyone...
  6. Settings app crashing every time I open it

Settings app crashing every time I open it: My settings app crashes every time I open it, I've tried 5 different "solutions", tried reverting to an earlier version using system restore and even reinstalled windows but nothing has changed except I actually got an error message after one of them, as below:Does anyone...
  7. Bluetooth Settings for Surface Dial Wheel crashes settings app every time

Bluetooth Settings for Surface Dial Wheel crashes settings app every time: I have two machines both running Windows 11: Desktop and a Surface Pro X.I've tried connecting the Dial to both machines. The device connects and works as expected, but going into the Settings -> Bluetooth -> Wheel area immediately crashes settings every time on both...
  8. Windows 11 Surface Dial - Wheel Settings Add Custom Tool Crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Surface Dial - Wheel Settings Add Custom Tool Crashes: Hi thereWondering if someone from MSFT may be able to help.I just recently installed Windows 11 to a fresh partition on my Surface Book 2 - so it's a completely new install of the OS. I have of course installed a bunch of programs.I'm used to having set up my own custom tools...
  9. Windows 11 Surface Dial - Wheel Settings Add Custom Tool Crashes

Windows 11 Surface Dial - Wheel Settings Add Custom Tool Crashes: Hi thereWondering if someone from MSFT may be able to help.I just recently installed Windows 11 to a fresh partition on my Surface Book 2 - so it's a completely new install of the OS. I have of course installed a bunch of programs.I'm used to having set up my own custom tools...
  10. Apps & Features Settings "Crash" every time I try to open.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps & Features Settings "Crash" every time I try to open.: I started to notice issues about 2 days ago when my Google Chrome stopped opening, attempted to reinstall, it worked fine, then upon restarting my PC, it wouldn't open again. Then one of my Steam Games "Witcher 3" was not opening, attempted to reinstall, works fine now. But...