Windows 10: Blurry Fonts Solution

Discus and support Blurry Fonts Solution in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Has anyone tried this and had luck with it?: Windows 10 DPI blurry / fuzzy text font fix - XP Explorer 71120 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by meridius, Nov 29, 2016.

1. meridius Win User

Blurry Fonts Solution

meridius, Nov 29, 2016

2. Blurry Fonts in Windows 10 - Community Suggestions Didn't Work

Hi. I tried increasing the font size to 125% and then to 150% and they were both still blurry. Then I moved the setting all of the way back to 100% and now the blurriness is gone BUT the fonts are tiny. The blurriness was in the dialog boxes in Windows,
    not in an Internet browser.

So I am grateful to you for the blurriness disappearing, but now everything is small. Any suggestions?

And yes, all of my drivers are up to date; I checked.

A Semi Luddite, Nov 29, 2016
  3. Blurry text and icons in Windows 10 (DPI scaling)

I had the same problem as you people with the blurry fonts on High DPI in Windows 10.

Ive tryed everything with the regular windows settings at screen properties. All kept blurry fonts.

The only way that worked for me was this:

Windows 10 DPI blurry / fuzzy text font fix - XP Explorer

I like Windows a lot,

and i think Windows 10 is great. But this blurry fonts were hurting my eyes on my widescreen that i spend quite some time to find a perfect fix.

MichielS_123, Nov 29, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Blurry Fonts Solution

Blurry fonts are caused by overscan, improperly setup monitor if not a laptop and too large of a monitor and too small sized fonts.

There is no magic tool out there that replaces the human. These tools are just basically changing settings that you can or doing some kind of fuzzy logic by inverting pixels to make fonts and graphics appear smoother.

bro67, Nov 29, 2016
  5. VBJP Win User
    Blurry text can also be problem when using high resolution like 4k on relatively small monitors (high DPI), when scaling is necessary for text to be readable and not overly tiny. Windows 10 deals with scaling in some way most of inbuilt windows applications especially modern apps scales quite well, but there is quite some 3rd party apps (and even some older windows applications) that look terrible when windows scaling is used blurry fonts etc.

First OP needs to clarify what causes blurry text in his/her case.
    Like what resolution he uses on his monitor (is it native resolution), what scaling is used, is it blurry everywhere on just some applications, etc.

Link posted in OP post for some people solves windows 10 scaling problem, by enabling Windows 7/8 older style scaling.

6. bro67 Win User
    That is why you do not scale to the monitor Native setting, along with leaving on all of those fancy settings and not calibrating it properly. Once the Flatscreen is properly calibrated, you would not even notice. Everyone wants 120/240hz and higher for motion. They end up really just becoming headaches in the end, because the engine on most are too cheap to even make a difference. If you are going for an investment such as a large 4K/UHD. Get one with a good GPU engine and software, also pay the extra to have someone come in and calibrate it, so that you do not have to deal with some type of fuzzy logic flipping pixels to make them smoother. Also the right font makes a huge difference (ie Georgia or Verdana for email). Do not go above 200% for DPI. Starts to look really bad. That is because 10 is so aggressive when it comes to how it utilizes the GPU engine. These are better to try out (Going by MIT's Safe Web Fonts guide.) Palatino, Garamond, Bookman, Avant Garde. It is more of a trial and error when it comes to finding out what works best. Backlighting the back of the flatscreen does wonders. Same as using 6500K bulbs in your lamps, instead of the warmer colors.

bro67, Nov 29, 2016
  7. meridius Win User
    Sorry, to clarify... This relates to a laptop: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/comput...46348-pdt.html that is new and has had no significant software added that would affect this problem.

The default DPI is set at 125% (recommended - factory settings). This is way too small so I changed it to 150%. The screen is 1920x1080 (I am not using an external monitor). The blurry text seems to happen as in my first link and only in some GUI's (e.g. Device Manager, Microsoft Word etc.) and the problem still remains at 125%. I was interested in my first link as it was quite accurate in describing the problems I have been having.

At the same time I was also wondering whether this is something to do with ClearType.

I haven't fiddled with the DPI manually as I remember having a big problem in with this in Windows 7 and for some reason the graphics quality was never the same afterwards even though I reversed it.

I am new to Windows 10 and don't have much experience of it including the 'Change only the text size' section. I was thinking of running through an Intel Diagnostic test to see if it is something to do with the Graphics driver but it looks to me as though this is a Windows 10 problem (however an Intel test and update wouldn't hurt...).

meridius, Nov 29, 2016
  8. VBJP Win User

Blurry Fonts Solution

What are you talking about? It has nothing to do with GPU or color temperature, with refresh rate, not native resolutions, calibration, flat-screens or whatever you're talking about. If you don't scale 4K(or other high DPI) display text will be so small that you would not be able to read anything. Its Windows implementation of scaling and can be accessed trough Display settings>Change size of text, apps and other items (slider).

If its not blurry on 100% then its windows 10 scaling problem, also this happening only on some software proves that windows 10 is at fault here. Probably that software is not DPI aware, and not compatible with windows 10 scaling. can you try change DPI setting. In application that has blurry text executable/shortcut properties>Compatibility tab>Check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

9. bro67 Win User
    Again Meridus it has part to do with your laptop. The other part is your Flatscreen. Do not follow the proper directions to make your tv do what you expect it do. You may as well just keep looking at the smaller screen on your laptop.

My Flatscreen in our Living Room is calibrated. Never had a single issue with having to apply some type of fuzzy logic to replace what the onboard GPU engine does. Same goes with using bulbs that are 6500K at medium setting on one lamp when watching movies on it.

bro67, Nov 29, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    VBJP it is not a Windows 10 scaling issue, it has nothing to do with Windows 10. It is 99.99% of the time, incorrect fonts for the screen you are using the computer on, not having the set properly calibrated. Viewing it either in a too dark of a room, too bright or incorrect bulbs in light fixtures.

Yes it does have everything that I stated with why people gripe that their computer looks like crap on their fancy flatscreen that even the manufacturer states that you will have issues when using a computer through it as a regular monitor.

I already gave the information directly from the MIT website that I pulled it from and another. If people would jut follow the basics and stop trying to use their fancy 4K/UHD flatscreen with a lower than needed quality GPU engine for the screen. Then people would not be having these issues. Even with an economy rated flatscreen, calibrating it, setting up your OS desktop and programs properly, you have zero issues.

Our 2007 Panasonic Plasma is still going strong. Had it calibrated when we got it, then again half way through 9 years. We have had zero issues with picture quality on it, whether it is sports, news, movies on the set top box or DVR or from the NVIDIA Shield we have hooked up to it.

bro67, Nov 29, 2016
  11. meridius Win User
    I need to do more work on this but what VBJP is saying here somewhat makes sense:

I tried this but can't see the definite changes immediately although the light was poor this morning which is why I also agree with bro67:

I am not sure how you can change compatibility on Windows applications like the Device Manager...

For someone like me even to be bringing up a post like this is ridiculous. This should have been sorted out by Asus through their factory settings and Microsoft through their design. The recommended DPI is 125%. Reducing it to 100% may reduce blur but it is not practical. Actually 150% is the minimum for my eyes.

I spent many years with Toshiba laptops and never had these problems but then I still use Windows 7 as my main operating system. I guess ultimately the ball falls into the court of some sort of cooperation between Asus-Microsoft so that their customers don't have any of these problems.

meridius, Nov 29, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Again it has nothing to do with Asus or the manufacturer of the APU/CPU/GPU. Windows 10 is very aggressive when it comes to working the graphics side of a one do all chip.

Majority of the laptops that have non-removable GPU units are marketed for people that are not going to replace the onboard screen with a large sized 4K/UHD screen.

Laptops still only do at max of 1080p. The biggest problem as I have stated over and over is that people setup their brand new shiny flatscreen and never change the default all on settings like Motion, film, etc.

Taking the time to tweak the settings on the Flatscreen does wonders. You again are blaming this on something that is not even the issue.

These so called fuzzy logic programs have been around since the DOS gaming days. They do nothing and make things worse, because they are just replacing you doing the adjustments.

bro67, Nov 29, 2016
  13. Mooly Win User

Blurry Fonts Solution

For things like MS Word, have you tried ticking the 'disable scaling' option for the executable relating to the program in question. Just right click the shortcut or the .exe relating to the program and apply the change.

Device manager is blurry for me too.

Blurry Fonts Solution [​IMG]

Blurry Fonts Solution [​IMG]

Mooly, Nov 29, 2016
  14. meridius Win User
    I tried the Disable display scaling option and this may be the best solution for now in terms of apps.

For Device Manager etc. this is still a problem although not the end of the world. But Microsoft should have sorted this out. I haven't had this problem in Windows 7.

meridius, Nov 29, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    It has nothing to do with that. It has to do with the fact that they are replacing their LCD screen with a large flatscreen that has not been calibrated to the LCD. You can do everything in the world on the laptop and windows that you want. Windows 10 is very aggressive when it comes to using the GPU, because it was designed with 4K/UHD in mind, if the GPU is capable of anything over 1080p, which a lot of off the shelf desktops and laptops cannot do anything more than 1080p.

bro67, Nov 29, 2016
Thema:

Blurry Fonts Solution

1. Blurry Fonts Solution - Similar Threads - Blurry Fonts Solution

2. Text scaling / Blurry font

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Text scaling / Blurry font: Hey guys, I assembled a new machine and in the fresh W10 install I'm having some blurry font issues, it's weird because I had the same settings (125%) in the previous install and it didn't happen. It only seems to happen in some dialogs, always on software installers...
  3. RDC: blurry fonts in apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    RDC: blurry fonts in apps: Hello, I've got a strange issue which is not persistent, sometimes it resolves, but this time I'm struggling for a couple of days. When connecting via RDC Remote Desktop Connection to remote server I see blurry fonts in some apps like SSMS, PowerBI Desktop or Notepad++. But...
  4. RDP: blurry fonts in apps

RDP: blurry fonts in apps: Hello, I've got a strange issue which is not persistent, sometimes it resolves, but this time I'm struggling for a couple of days. When connecting via RDP to remote server I see blurry fonts in some apps like SSMS, PowerBI Desktop or Notepad++. But Windows Explorer, the...
  5. blurry fonts! and no font display

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    blurry fonts! and no font display: My fonts blurred out in explorer and even in browser! my Pc was running all good,but suddenly all text from Uc browser to file explorer just went missing! In my desktop , Icons show their name in blurry font and in explorer files show icon but do not have any name on...
  6. Blurry fonts in some applications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blurry fonts in some applications: [ATTACH] Faced the problem of blurring the fonts of some applications (presumably using / written using node.js). Observed in visual studio installer and VS Code. Problems started after installing Elixir through the chocolatey package manager. It all looks something like...
  7. Fonts is blurry in some programs

Fonts is blurry in some programs: I run Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit The font in the GUI of certain programs (programs that were installed by me the user) show in very blurry font It doesn't occur in other programs For example I run Nitro PDF Pro (a PDF editor). All its menu and screens show in blurry font as well...
  8. Fonts Blurry After Reboot

Fonts Blurry After Reboot: Once out of every third time my computer reboots, the fonts are all blurry. Is a service not running or something? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/fonts-blurry-after-reboot/d9babdb1-1023-4cde-a66a-f14262abd388
  9. Blurry font in Properties

Blurry font in Properties: Hi, I am using Windows 10 on my laptop and I connect to a 27" BenQ screen. The resolution is 1920x1080, everything is fine except this tiny but uncomfortable blurry font. It just happens with the Properties, for example, the Ethernet Properties. It is strange that all...
  10. Blurry Font Problem

Blurry Font Problem: My Fonts look terrible . Please help what to do.. I am on build 1803 Updated and i am uploading a photo showing my font issue.Please help i cant even read a page due to this issue.[ATTACH]...