Windows 10: Blurry text since Creators Update.

Discus and support Blurry text since Creators Update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The highest my graphics card goes to is 60hz which it is set too and it still did not work. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by reddice, Apr 20, 2017.

1. reddice Win User

Blurry text since Creators Update.

The highest my graphics card goes to is 60hz which it is set too and it still did not work.

reddice, Apr 21, 2017
  2. reddice Win User

Okay it is the stupid GDI+ that is making the fonts fuzzy. I found out using Crystal Disk Info go to fonts and choose GDI it is clear. Default and GDI+ is a blurry mess.

Anyway to force W10 to use GDI for fonts? Google was useless again just saying how the DPI looks better.

reddice, Apr 21, 2017
  3. It's incredibly clear what OP's problem was here. I'm not sure why nobody here could figure it out.

OP's original settings were set up to use ClearType with BGR subpixel order (in the upper screenshot); in the blurry text he was seeing, it was being rendered with RGB subpixel order.

Subpixel rendering - Wikipedia

If you zoom in on the pictures (Win+=) you can see that the chromatic aberration on the edges of the text (used to counter the offsets in a typical monitor) are on opposite sides, making it look worse on his screen instead of better.

OP can probably use the ClearType calibration tool and choose the aliasing mode that looks best to him:

Blurry text since Creators Update. [​IMG]

However, this might not fix it as there are bugs in the Creator's Update preview that are causing it to fail to render correctly in some circumstances but not others (hence how I found this thread).

---

After some investigation:

Some dialogs and text, for instance the network connection sharing dialog, will always render with the wrong anti-aliasing disposition.

System set to BGR:

Dialog text renders in RGB mode.

System set to RGB:

Dialog text renders in BGR mode.

Here's hoping they fix this soon.

widdershins, May 13, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

Dice, you could try adjusting your graphics card AND monitors built in sharpness to see if that helps any.
    I'm using a dual monitor setup now, and my new one ids 4K and my old one is 1080 HD.

I use Display Pilot on my 4K(BenQ BL series) to calibrate(using Passmark's Monitor Test(the only free 4K calibration test patterns I could find on the net*Sad), and I used NVIDIA Control Panel and a couple of different 1080p test patterns I have, to calibrate my 1080(HP 27vx) as the version of Display Pilot for it is buggy as all-hell.

Then after all that, I used Clear-Type.

But you need to adjust your Contrast, Brightness, and Gamma first, then sharpness(not too sharp though or antialiasing won't look right) to reduce color bleeding.

Cliff S, May 13, 2017
  5. No, he could not. None of this is the fault of his graphics card or monitor. I've replicated the problem fully for you above, as you can see.

6. derek10 Win User
    In my monitor this one:

looks WAY worse than this:

And as said by widdershins , it's caused by different RGB subpixel arrangement

derek10, May 13, 2017
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I know about that, it can be compensated when correctly calibrated.

LCD monitor test images

Note This is ONLY for 1920 x 1080 screens. Do not use fro any other size(720p, or 4K)

Cliff S, May 13, 2017
  8. Blurry text since Creators Update.

The critical information you seem to be missing here is that this is a reproducible software bug, specifically with the current Windows 10 Creator's Update preview build. Nothing is wrong with his monitor or its calibration.

Not even all of the text that is being output is gonna be blurry. All the software that's rendering with the correct disposition (edit: which is only some of it, which is the problem) is going to turn out fine, including text on web pages in Chrome as far as I've seen. Changing the calibration or ClearType mode isn't going to help, as some of it will always be wrong (and Windows does not have a grayscale AA mode).

9. Cliff S New Member
    Forget it then! Just forget it!
    You obviouly know more than me.
    I'll stick to my calibrated monitors, using the correct tools, and you can stick to using Windows crappy color management.

Cliff S, May 13, 2017
  10. I mean, sounds good to me. Calibrating monitors very carefully will indeed get you good looking pixels, but they'll be real sharp jaggy pixels all over your text (without ClearType or its ilk). The only way to get properly subpixel-rendered text is to actually render it in subpixel. If you're outputting hard edges, it's not gonna look good.

I mean, this isn't a color management tool. it's the subpixel font rendering engine (which is screwing up, and making text look worse instead of better half the time).

11. reddice Win User
    Okay I got a new computer last week. I could not take the slowness of the cruddy all in one. The CyberpowerPC that I ordered from Amazon with a Dell 2k 25" monitor the first screenshot on my old computer looks terrible on this monitor but the second screenshot looks great but terrible on my all on one.

So it has to do with the monitor. Since the all one one you can't replace the monitor it seems that the new version renders different which makes it look worse. Of course if it was possible to hook up a external monitor I tried it and all I got was no signal even after making sure it was set to second screen only I know the second screenshot I took would look sharp.

Also forgot to say that the newest version of LIbreOffice must render BGR mode as it looks terrible on any monitor I tried. I have to use a version 5.3.1 or earlier versions or use the latest mature version 5.2.7 which is still updated.

Also Chrome font rendering looks terrible on any monitor too which is why I primary use Firefox.

reddice, May 14, 2017
  12. Cliff S New Member
    What are your settings in System\System Properties\ Advanced tab\Visual Effects?

When I benchmark, I set these to "Adjust for best performance" and the fonts then look gawd-awful then,
    Also to troubleshoot, you could compare using a high contrast theme(I usually hate those, but I think I finally created a pretty usable one(in the screenshot).

Cliff S, May 14, 2017
  13. ThundaBG Win User

I've had the exact same issue with my new laptop, installed latest version of Windows - aka CU. Text was blurry here and there. The only solution I've found was the following:

Right click on desktop, select Display Settings, under Scale and layout, I've set 100% (was at 125% by default) to 'Change the size of text, apps and other items'. Hopefully this wont be a long term fix and Windows does something about it.
    If you do not see an immediate effect, log off or restart.

ThundaBG, May 31, 2017
  14. pepanee Win User
    Here was my issue with that non-sense issue. File names inside File Explorer got all blurry for no reason. Took forever to figure this one out.

Go to Device Manager > Display adapters > Right click on your graphics card (mine is NVIDIA GeForce GT 710) > Properties
    Under the Driver tab, press the Roll Back Driver button. Hopefully you can press that button. If not, uninstall the driver and delete all the files for the update (whenever you see that check box) and reinstall that driver.

If all of that worked, try to search online to ban Windows Update from updating your computer drivers.

pepanee, May 31, 2017
  15. ThundaBG Win User
    If it gets to uninstalling an external GPU driver, go ahead with this Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.6.5
    Completely removes all traces of the driver, unlike the uninstall option.
    As for stopping Windows from downloading the drivers, you would need to skip on connecting to WiFi during the installation of the OS or set your connection as metered.

ThundaBG, Jun 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Blurry text since Creators Update. - Similar Threads - Blurry text since

2. blurry text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    blurry text: Bonjour,when I put scale at 115%in settings system>screen, a lot of text becomes to be blurry.. Here are 3 screenshots. With windows 10 I didn't have this problem.How could i fix that please? My graphic card is a nvidia rtx 2060. thanks...
  3. blurry text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    blurry text: Bonjour,when I put scale at 115%in settings system>screen, a lot of text becomes to be blurry.. Here are 3 screenshots. With windows 10 I didn't have this problem.How could i fix that please? My graphic card is a nvidia rtx 2060. thanks...
  4. Blurry text

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blurry text: HiAMD Ryzen 5 5600u intergrated graphicsI have a lenovo ideapad 5 pro and when i run some programs, the text appears to be blurry and some other programs does not have this problem. i've set all my display scaling and resolution to windows recommended and it still does not...
  5. Blurry Text

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blurry Text: Hello,i'm facing an issue where text becomes blurry whenever window goes out of focus, or sometimes even when its in focus text becomes blurry, its same on all apps, i've tried enabling ClearType Text and Let Window automatically fix blurry text options but it doesn't do...
  6. Blurry Text

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blurry Text: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/2bx7hp59gs561.png?width=1905&format=png&auto=webp&s=116b2b195cafcaddae1f8538e879c5d783033d38 Hi, I need some help with blurry text across multiple applications, I have clear text on, I have tried to calibrate it multiple times but no...
  7. Blurry text

Blurry text: When I am opening some third-party apps and some inbuilt settings, I am seeing blurry text like a person without his spectacles would see. Can anybody help me with this problem. I am currently using a Lenovo Ideapad slim 3. Also I am facing this problem only at few places....
  8. Blurry text

Blurry text: Hey, on almost every app, i see blurry text. I tried updating the nvidia drivers, didnt work, i tried changing my font, not that either. I don't know what's happening and it's starting to annoy me. Thanks....
  9. Text Size Since Creators Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text Size Since Creators Update: Since the creators update my text size and browser icons are back to small size. I can't find the old display settings where you can adjust text size, bold, etc and icon size. DPI settings change the text size but also adjust the icons which are already the correct size....
  10. Blurry text

in Windows 10 Support
    Blurry text: Hello everyone *Smile I’m running the latest, leaked, Windows 10 10147 build and everything works fine on my system. There is one thing though I have observed since the beginning, meaning in earlier builds, as well. And that is blurry text on some Windows components like...