Windows 10: Boooting recovery drive from external ssd

Discus and support Boooting recovery drive from external ssd in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I’m new here. I got a new laptop and am thinking of upgrading the internal drive to 2TB. I don’t have a usb flash drive on hand but I have an empty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/chrisycr, May 29, 2020.

1. Boooting recovery drive from external ssd

Hi, I’m new here. I got a new laptop and am thinking of upgrading the internal drive to 2TB. I don’t have a usb flash drive on hand but I have an empty 128GB external SSD.

Can I load my external SSD as the recovery drive, change my internal drive, and then boot up Windows through the new recovery drive from my external SSD?

submitted by /u/chrisycr
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/chrisycr, May 29, 2020

2. Is there can a external ssd drive be used as the main OS drive?

Hi Robert,

We don't recommend using an external SSD as the main OS drive. You can use an external SSD as the main OS drive, but you need to configure the BIOS of your computer for it to boot the OS from the external SSD. We suggest contacting your computer manufacturer
    for assistance on configuring the BIOS of your computer.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Martin Bar, May 29, 2020
  3. Remove Recovery Partition and Go to Recovery Drive During HDD to SSD Upgrade

What I wanted

• Remove the recovery partition
    • Use a recovery drive

My view now is that the best solution is

• The migration software will not copy the recovery partition - effectively removing it from the SSD
    • Use a recovery drive. (I will use the control panel utility to put recovery tools on a usb flash drive - giving me a recovery drive to use.)

I believe my question is answered. Thank you for your help.

Edmond Danta, May 29, 2020
  4. Boooting recovery drive from external ssd

SSD external drive

My external ssd device connected to my hp laptop. Device Manager shows ssd in Disk Device but not on system directory....no external drive label

PhilipLaw3, May 29, 2020
Thema:

Boooting recovery drive from external ssd

1. Boooting recovery drive from external ssd - Similar Threads - Boooting recovery drive

2. Recovery data from a unbootable SSD drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery data from a unbootable SSD drive: My laptop randomly stopped booting up. It say no bootable device found. It is Windows 11 with TPM2.0 enabled. I am trying to recover the data off of the drive I have made a bootable USB drive and scanned the non-bootable SSD drive but no files are showing. Is there a way to...
  3. Recovery data from a unbootable SSD drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery data from a unbootable SSD drive: My laptop randomly stopped booting up. It say no bootable device found. It is Windows 11 with TPM2.0 enabled. I am trying to recover the data off of the drive I have made a bootable USB drive and scanned the non-bootable SSD drive but no files are showing. Is there a way to...
  4. External ssd file recovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External ssd file recovery: Hi there, hoping you can help. I have a laptop with an M2 sata ssd. A recent windows update caused certain programs to cease working. I attempted to fix the issue, but somehow managed to lock my user account out of the drive. I bought a replacement ssd and installed windows...
  5. External ssd file recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External ssd file recovery: Hi there, hoping you can help. I have a laptop with an M2 sata ssd. A recent windows update caused certain programs to cease working. I attempted to fix the issue, but somehow managed to lock my user account out of the drive. I bought a replacement ssd and installed windows...
  6. External ssd file recovery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Data Recovery from a RAW External Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Data Recovery from a RAW External Drive: I have a laptop ( Dell Inspiron 15 7559 ). I have already filled up the details of my laptop. Running Windows 10 Version 20H2. I swapped my laptop's internal HDD with an SSD and I have been using that HDD as a external backup drive for videos ( Running 2 small Youtube...
  8. Booot loooooop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booot loooooop: submitted by /u/Weslyy_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hyh9bo/booot_loooooop/
  9. External SSD Drives

External SSD Drives: W-10 No Longer Recognizes External SSD Drives on Dell XPS. HP Pavilion does with no problem. Have uninstalled and reinstalled USB Drivers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-ssd-drives/b13f61d3-e987-4f29-be39-bfc08a38b7e6
  10. SSD external drive

SSD external drive: My external ssd device connected to my hp laptop. Device Manager shows ssd in Disk Device but not on system directory....no external drive label https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssd-external-drive/3df1d677-63b9-4b76-9ac3-0d0f2f7b15fc