Windows 10: Boot Advance options processor/memory settings

Discus and support Boot Advance options processor/memory settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Was wondering if all my processors (8) were working during the latest update to 17128 and came across this: Top image was how I discovered it i.e 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by meebers, Mar 23, 2018.

1. meebers Win User

Boot Advance options processor/memory settings

Was wondering if all my processors (8) were working during the latest update to 17128 and came across this: Top image was how I discovered it i.e 1 processor, bottom image with what I think the options should be set to. All 8 are showing activity in Task manager, just not sure what this option is for? Any advice appreciated.

:)

meebers, Mar 23, 2018
  2. YesNadeem Win User

Welcome Screen Delay

Problem not solved, any other methods?

I've disabled most of the startup programs in task manager and have set the no. of processors to 4 in advanced boot options with max memory of 8132.

kindly help.

Thank you.

YesNadeem, Mar 23, 2018
  3. Why my windows is using less ram than I have?

Thanks.. sorry for late reply..

To fix this:

Press Windows Key+R and type "msconfig" and hit enter.

In Boot tab click on Advanced Options.

Check box Number of Processors and set the maximum number.

Uncheck box maximum memory.

Restart your PC..

if it doesn't fix the issue then Check box Maximum memory.

and restart..

Mine is fixed bytheway

MysticBlast3r26, Mar 23, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

This is an interesting capability. Turns out this is provided to help troubleshoot issues in using multiple processor(s, or cores, most likely) during boot. By default, all Processors/Cores are enabled. So if you exercise this option, it can only be to REDUCE CPU capabilities. This is one of those "best left alone" settings, IMO -- though you can play with it if you like. Here are some hopefully useful items/discussions on this topic:
    1. If I enable 2 processors in msconfig, will it increase my computer - Microsoft Community
    2. cpu - Msconfig - Number of Processors - Super User
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 23, 2018
  5. meebers Win User
    Thanks for that ED, I find it confusing from info I find on the computer i.e.
    Top left, I could read that as I have 8, 8core processors? WOW!
    Top right, "number of processors" (mother board with 8 processors?) when they actually mean "cores"? Logical/cores not mentioned.
    W10 insider info, I find this to be the best info, I have an 8-core processor
    From task manager, 1 socket (1 physical processor), but I only have 4 cores and 8 logical processors.

What first started me looking for this was, task manager was showing only 1 cpu. Later found out that clicking on the graph itself (instead of a menu somewhere on the top??) that I could change it to view all cores.

Sometimes you must work thru the mess and figure out what is the true meaning*Confused

meebers, Mar 24, 2018
  6. CountMike New Member
    You do have what may be called 8 core processor although it's architectures is a bit muddled. Technically speaking. it has 4 modules with two cores each. It's all in one package, One CPU.
    2 cores in each module are connected directly and all 4 modules are connected are Hypethereaded together going to FSB (Front Side Bus) to RAM and other I/O buses.
    Jury is still out if it's a true 8 core processor or not but it's mostly semantics.
    Those settings in msconfig are useful only if you want to limit number of cores and amount of RAM, if you leave them unchecked, you also get full use of both.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot Advance options processor/memory settings - Similar Threads - Boot Advance options

2. Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options: Hi,I have a 2013 Dell XPS 8700 which while trying to remove a glitch, I may have messed up in the Advanced Boot Option,I am looking for some sort of automatic reset to the correct values - or guidance of what to enter as correct values.Below I show info regarding CPU plus a...
  3. Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options: Hi,I have a 2013 Dell XPS 8700 which while trying to remove a glitch, I may have messed up in the Advanced Boot Option,I am looking for some sort of automatic reset to the correct values - or guidance of what to enter as correct values.Below I show info regarding CPU plus a...
  4. Incorrect Number of Processors/cores in Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Question about Number of Processors in Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Number of Processors in Advanced Boot Options: Hi there. So I recently upgraded my os system to Windows 11 and I saw many people taking about changing the number of processors to the number to cores on the processor in advanced boot option. And some advised against it. So I was wondering should I change it to the number...
  6. Question about Number of Processors in Advanced Boot Options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Number of Processors in Advanced Boot Options: Hi there. So I recently upgraded my os system to Windows 11 and I saw many people taking about changing the number of processors to the number to cores on the processor in advanced boot option. And some advised against it. So I was wondering should I change it to the number...
  7. Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Setting number of processor in advanced boot settings causes windows to fail booting: Hi everyone, so I have a lenovo z50-75 laptop with latest windows 10 pro installed and when I try to set the "Number of CPUs" to max cores of my CPU, my system fails starting gets stuck on the windows logo and the loading circle never shows up any idea why is this happening?...
  8. Advanced boot settings

Advanced boot settings: Hey, I was in msconfig in boot settings I went to advanced settings then I changed the number of processor to 1 then I click apply and restarted my pc, when it started I logged on went to boot settings advanced settings and when I clicked on the number of proccessors drop...
  9. boot advance option/maximum memory settings in Windows 10 32bit

boot advance option/maximum memory settings in Windows 10 32bit: Hello everyone, my problem is with my ram settings. I have been getting a handfull of bluescreens throughout the weeks. Error is Unexpected Store Exception. I believe its a memory problem. System info window says install memory is 16MG which is correct but I have only 2.46...
  10. Advance boot options empty

in Windows 10 Support
    Advance boot options empty: I installed Windows 10 Education edition via USB(not an upgrade). Whenever I try to go into the advanced boot menu by holding shift and clicking on restart, the only option I am given is "Turn off your PC". I have formatted and reflashed my computer with an latest windows iso...