Windows 10: Boot and a all other info on one drive but system into on another?

Discus and support Boot and a all other info on one drive but system into on another? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently tried to switching out cases once again and that process meant going to a smaller motherboard and dropping the hard drive and just using my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mtnsubieboi, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Boot and a all other info on one drive but system into on another?

I recently tried to switching out cases once again and that process meant going to a smaller motherboard and dropping the hard drive and just using my second SSD for all extra stuff. After a couple hours of swapping and prepping I had the whole system together and ready to go but once powered and attempting to boot I'd only get this message.

https://imgur.com/a/muUrKiT

After trying many different settings and a BIOS update I gave up and swapped everything back over but left the HDD disconnected. Just like with the last setup however once started I kept getting the boot message and after fiddling with more settings I had no luck again. I decided to use a last ditch effort in attempt to save myself from losing more data yet again from a windows restart, and plug the hard drive back in. Just as if the system were new it started right up and booted to windows. I then had a bit of sneaking suspicion and checked the disk manager to see what it said about each drive and this is what it said about my primary SSD and HDD...

https://i.imgur.com/RmN3boR.jpg

The hard drive partition has system information on it that I would assume prevents the system from starting without, is there any way I can move this data from the hard drive to the SSD so that Windows isn't reliant on the HDD to boot?

submitted by /u/mtnsubieboi
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mtnsubieboi, Nov 26, 2020
  2. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Nov 26, 2020
  3. Dandel Win User
    How to go about building a tri-boot system?

i dual boot all the time, and going in to tri boot is easy.

step 1) partition the drive in to 3 partitions ( leaving 1 empty for the linux installer. )
    step 2) install windows on the first 2 partitions.
    step 3) install linux, and let it auto partition the remaining space. ( i recommend at least 30gb of space for linux, because it will make things a lot easier. )

step 4) enjoy.

Dandel, Nov 26, 2020
  4. theonedub Win User

Boot and a all other info on one drive but system into on another?

GPUz Incorrect Info GF117

I've got the GT620M in a Zenbook and the newest version of GPUz has it listed as a 40nm part whereas all other info on the web suggests its 28nm. Can you investigate, W1z?

Thanks

theonedub, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

Boot and a all other info on one drive but system into on another?

1. Boot and a all other info on one drive but system into on another? - Similar Threads - Boot info drive

2. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  3. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving from one boot drive to another: So on my windows 10 PC i have 3 drives:My SSD - Which was my old main drive that was running windows and still has it Important filesJust a storage drive Important filesMy new 3TB HD - Which is running windows on it now No important filesIm trying to switch back to windows on...
  4. Moving from one boot drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not: I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer needs.Recently and inexplicably I woke up to find my computer bluescreened and telling me that Windows had failed to...
  6. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not: I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer needs.Recently and inexplicably I woke up to find my computer bluescreened and telling me that Windows had failed to...
  7. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

8. System partition on one drive; boot partition & Windows on another?

System partition on one drive; boot partition & Windows on another?: I have a 4 year old Dell XPS 8700 running windows 10 (2004 though I don't think that matters). I had used MiniTool Partition Wizard to clean up some partition issues on an old laptop and ran it on this machine. I see that 3 months ago when I added an SSD drive as the primary...
  9. all-in-one USB boot drive

all-in-one USB boot drive: Hi. I've been in IT support for 15 years and I always hated the amount of different cd/dvd/usb I had to carry with myself, so I was thinking why not to combine them into one drive and have everything on it - 1. windows installations with drivers and programs (UEFI and BIOS )...
  10. Access all files from one drive on another computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access all files from one drive on another computer: My HP laptop is no longer working due to water damage. I had all my files saved in Onedrive. I bought a new HP laptop, but I cannot access all my files from one drive on my new HP laptop. I'm only able to access files from 2017, but I cannot access none of my files from 2018...