Windows 10: Boot and Run Windows 7 (external drive) in Windows 10

Discus and support Boot and Run Windows 7 (external drive) in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I had an older Win 7 machine which started to experience hardware issues (Asus motherboard). I removed the hard drive hoping to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mr. Owens, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Mr. Owens Win User

Boot and Run Windows 7 (external drive) in Windows 10

Hello,

I had an older Win 7 machine which started to experience hardware issues (Asus motherboard). I removed the hard drive hoping to be able to boot from it on a new computer Win 10. I put it in a hard drive Esata to USB3 case. I changed to boot sequence to Legacy device it bombs while trying to boot (Start Windows Normally). When I try to do the recovery option I can no longer use my mouse or keyboard so it's stuck at the "Choose keyboard Language" screen. I have programs that I want to run from this external (old internal) drive.

I understand there may be config issues, I tried to install Win 10 on the drive while in the old machine and as an external, both failed.

I don't want to format the drive and lose the apps, I tried to use WinToUSB, but it wanted to format and repartition.

Any advise, thanks.

:)

Mr. Owens, Jan 13, 2019

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Jan 13, 2019
  3. sttubs Win User
    Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Jan 13, 2019
  4. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

http://www.disk-partition.com/kb/tips-ssd-optimization-windows7-1.html

Looks to be similar to this: https://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Boot and Run Windows 7 (external drive) in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Boot Run external

2. Windows 7 boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 boot drive: Hi. I recently recieved a old computer that had a windows 7 pro license key and a windows 10 home refurbished key. I received it with no hard drive so i went and bought a brand new ssd to put in it. After wards i installed windows 10 home. Problem is the license key if for an...
  3. Windows 7 boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 boot drive: Hi. I recently recieved a old computer that had a windows 7 pro license key and a windows 10 home refurbished key. I received it with no hard drive so i went and bought a brand new ssd to put in it. After wards i installed windows 10 home. Problem is the license key if for an...
  4. Dual Booting Windows 10 With Windows 7 - No Drive Seen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Booting Windows 10 With Windows 7 - No Drive Seen: Dell Precision Tower T5810 Purchased in 2015 with Windows 7 Pro (64Bit) Upgraded now to Windows 10 Pro (64Bit) Upgraded min drive to SSD (Windows 10) Partitioned SSD to install Windows 7 Pro as Dual Boot Currently, I have a Windows 10 system I need to dual boot (install)...
  5. How to format an external drive with windows 7 on it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to format an external drive with windows 7 on it: I’m trying to format a seagate 80 gig drive to use as an external drive , but when I go to format it the option is greyed out (it’s already initialized) submitted by /u/gage_slides [link] [comments]...
  6. External Hard Drive working on windows 7 but not Windows 10

External Hard Drive working on windows 7 but not Windows 10: Hello guys, hope all is well. So i my old laptop were starting to crash and i backed up all my files in an external hard drive ( Storejet Transcend USB 2Tb ) and it works fine on my laptop which have windows 7 64 bit, but when i bought my new PC which have Win 10. It does not...
  7. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives

Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on separate drives: Hello and thanks for having me on the forum. Not too tech savvy and have a question. Windows 7 user on PC DELL 8700 XPS. I added another drive and and installed W10. All working well. I would like to set up dual boot. I can do it now by hitting F12 and choosing my OS....
  8. Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?

Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?: I’m trying to find out if its possible to boot windows 10 from an external drive on a laptop that has windows 10 already installed on an internal drive? Basically, my laptop has windows 10. But i installed windows 10 on an external drive so i can use it on my MacBook....
  9. External Hard Drive recognised on Windows 7 not on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive recognised on Windows 7 not on Windows 10: Hi, Just plugged in my Toshiba external Hard Drive to receive an error " Unknown USB Device (Invalid Configuration Descriptor)" I cannot format the Drive, as I will lose all my data, why does this not work with Windows 10, or how do I resolve this issue and get it...
  10. Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives

Dual boot windows 10 and 7 on seperate drives: I want to set up a dual boot system with windows 10 and 7. I have both already installed on separate drives in my desktop system and was wondering if it is still possible to set up a dual boot. Now I just switch boot priority in BIOS, but sometimes when I start up 7 it wants...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to boot and run windows 7 from external hd