Windows 10: Boot crash: 0xcf

Discus and support Boot crash: 0xcf in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello second thread of the day in this forum, Yaah -.- Long story short, pc has basically been broken for the last 3 slow builds, various... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PeaceDealer, May 1, 2015.

1. Boot crash: 0xcf

Hello

second thread of the day in this forum, Yaah -.-

Long story short, pc has basically been broken for the last 3 slow builds, various reasons, different corrupt files ect.

now, for the first time I actually get an error code... 0xcf

I have aver tried the various recovery methods, chkdsk, fixed boot records, and tried to refresh the pc (which fails after 10%), and I'm now on bare bottom.

Can I fix this, without reinstalling windows for the 15th time, because then I would be very happy.

Thanks

regards
    Jonas

:)

PeaceDealer, May 1, 2015

2. Blue Screen error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Original title: WHEA Crash - Diagnosis?

Hello,

I was wondering if someone would analyze these dumps and tell me the root cause:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9FDB5CEE3B8F985B!388&authkey=!AHrtNEhVa7e97ko&ithint=file,dmp

On Mon 5/30/2016 4:39:38 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\053016-6078-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xCF)

Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0019A4D5028, 0xFE000000, 0x40014A)

Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 5/30/2016 4:39:38 PM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalBugCheckSystem+0xCF)

Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE0019A4D5028, 0xFE000000, 0x40014A)

Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

GreenHawk84, May 1, 2015
  3. my farmville 2 is crashing now why

my game above is recently crashing and I don't know why. I have re booted but it still does the same thing. in middle of game it posts a notice that game has crashed and says to re boot.

can some help

Dawn Devoe, May 1, 2015
  4. usasma Win User

Boot crash: 0xcf

An error of 0xc000000f is "no such file" - it means that the file that the computer was looking for does not exist in the location that it's supposed to be at. As it states that the required device isn't connected, I'd expect that it could be:
    - a missing driver
    - corrupted configuration file(s)
    - hardware failure

Since the problems have persisted through 3 different builds, I'd suspect that a hardware problem was the most likely cause.

As you've already done all the Startup Repair troubleshooting, I'd then proceed with some hardware diagnostics: Hardware Diagnostics
    You can also try stripping the system down to the bare essentials (in order to rule out problems with other devices). Here's some suggestions for this: Hardware Stripdown Troubleshooting

Beyond that, have you tried System Restore? If so, what were the results?
    You may also want to try an in-place upgrade by running setup from within Windows and selecting the Upgrade option (I haven't tried this with 10, so am unsure if it's present or not).

usasma, May 2, 2015
  5. There is a refresh option, but neither this nor system restore worked - due to some corrupt files...

How-ever i ended up doing a re-install, trying to severly limit the programs I installed that hooked into Windows, and so far its all good. I think the issue may have been with a screenshot program called Lightshot which hooks into various windows functions including explorer. Its one of the only programs I can think off I havent installed yet.

PeaceDealer, May 2, 2015
  6. usasma Win User
    Sounds like you may have figured it out.
    We'll be here if you need further assistance.
    Good Luck!

usasma, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Boot crash: 0xcf

1. Boot crash: 0xcf - Similar Threads - Boot crash 0xcf

2. Boot after HDD crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot after HDD crash: How do I get the computer to recognize boot from USB? I have a DELL 7737 and I was using Windows 10 before my hard drive crashed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-after-hdd-crash/5677ab6a-697f-4feb-a33c-cad613818d4e
  3. Windows Boot Crash

Windows Boot Crash: I'm running windows 10 on my computer. I put it to sleep the other day and when I turned it back on all I saw was the Dell splash screen with the dots loading. So I powered it down and turned it back on this time it tried to automatic repair itself, after a few minutes of...
  4. Computer crashed and cant boot into os

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer crashed and cant boot into os: Was playing Ark and the computer crashed, showing DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Restarted on it's own and would continually crash with several BOS. KMODE EXECUTION NOT HANDLED PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGE AREA KERNEL MODE KEEP CORRUPTION SYSTEM THREAD EXECUTION SYSTEM SERVICE...
  5. Can't Boot after crash

Can't Boot after crash: Hello MS Community, i bought a new hard disk and i installed windows last week and everything is fine except today, i was playing a game and suddenly i got crash then i waited Windows boot logo for 10 minutes then it ran the chkdsk and did a restart to itself I do not...
  6. Varied BSOD Crashes/Boot Issues

Varied BSOD Crashes/Boot Issues: Built a new system beginning of December and regularly get a shopping list of BSODs for apparently different reasons. Also occasionally run in to boot issues in which display and usb won't start, and the PC attempts to reset after about 10 seconds only to continue in a...
  7. Windows boot crashing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows boot crashing: Hi there. I would like to know why did MS Suck the live out off dual boot with other os's ? I mean if I boot with windows 10, 64 pro and uses another os for example myhouse 64. If I boot myhouse 64 from a usb drive. Why does windows 10, 64 pro crash after I shutdown...
  8. Black Screen/Crash on boot up

Black Screen/Crash on boot up: Hi All, I took advantage of all the Black Friday deals and built a new 8700k Coffee Lake PC. However, today I noticed after cold booting - right before getting to the Win10 login screen, my monitor went black. Almost like it lost signal - Screen went black, my monitor...
  9. explorer.exe crashing on boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    explorer.exe crashing on boot: Windows 7 > 10 with the media creation tool this time. although i have done it through the windows icon and windows update as well at least 2 times per each. no known virus or malware on it currently. cleaned recently very well. Windows 7 ran pretty good. i had trouble...
  10. PC Crashed and Wont boot again

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Crashed and Wont boot again: Hi, I was playing games on Bluestacks (Android Emulator) and suddenly my Laptop PC got freezed up. It was the first time when my laptop hanged up. I pressed the power button (as usual). But when I tried to boot it up again, Automatic Repair returned that "Your PC didn't...