Windows 10: Boot device not found after installing ssd

Discus and support Boot device not found after installing ssd in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I just replaced my HD with a new Samsung ssd. I made a recovery on an ssd card before removing it. Now after installing it and turning the laptop on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/babygorilla90, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Boot device not found after installing ssd

So I just replaced my HD with a new Samsung ssd. I made a recovery on an ssd card before removing it. Now after installing it and turning the laptop on I get this message. https://imgur.com/a/egTgMD5

Could someone please tell me what I should do ? It is an hp pavillion with a Samsung evo 500gb ssd.

Thanks

submitted by /u/babygorilla90
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/babygorilla90, Nov 16, 2019
  2. AndreyT Win User

"reboot and select proper boot device" after fresh install

That would immediately suggest that your list of boot devices in BIOS for "normal" boot simply does not include the proper SSD.

AndreyT, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Unable to boot Windows after cloning it to SSD

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while booting the PC after cloning Windows to new SSD. I would like to know what happens when you try to boot the PC to desktop using SSD?

The reason you are not able to boot the PC is that the files required to boot Windows are still recognizing the HDD as the main drive. I would suggest you to try rebuilding the BCD files and see if you are able to boot the PC using
    SSD.

Kindly follow the steps below to rebuild the BCD.

1. Create a bootable media and boot the PC using the media.
    2. On the Install Windows screen, select Next >
      Repair your computer.
    3. On the System Recovery Options screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
    4. Now type in the commands and hit enter: BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /scanos

BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Nov 16, 2019
  4. 2BearArmy Win User

Boot device not found after installing ssd

Random Disappearing/Reappearing SSD on Boot

Config:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 480GB SSD
    Corsair 850W PSU
    2x HD 6950 GPU's

My desktop has a 480GB SSD main drive (OS and games), and two secondary HDD's for media storage.

I have had no issues with this SSD, until I tried to add a second video card to my system, and subsequently had to remove it. After a couple re-installs and finally getting the Crossfire to work, I am still in this broken state.

Symptom:

If I put my computer to sleep, restart, power down, it is a complete gamble as to whether or not the system will see the boot drive. What is consistent, is that after a seemingly random interval, it will eventually see the drive and boot straight to windows.

Troubleshooting Steps:

• Reset Bios
    • Removed all other options for bootable devices
    • Re-installed Windows
    • Updated all OS drivers
    • Updated firmware for both the MoBo bios and the SSD.
    • Replaced all SATA cables
    • Moved to another SATA controller port
    • Switched power cables
    • SSDLife came back saying the drive is healthy
    I am literally out of ideas at this point, and the issue is extremely annoying. Sometimes my boot times are 30 seconds (if it sees the drive) sometimes it's 20 minutes (constant reboots until it sees the drive).

Anyone have any other ideas, or have seen this before?

2BearArmy, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

Boot device not found after installing ssd

1. Boot device not found after installing ssd - Similar Threads - Boot device found

2. Boot Device Not Found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot Device Not Found: Boot Device Not Found?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E9%9B%BB%E8%85%A6%E7%B6%93%E5%B8%B8%E9%A1%AF/729fd005-9d91-465e-98d7-3c55754bffbf
  3. Boot device not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot device not found: Blue screen error displayed saying"critical process died" and then after restarting severally and changing boot settings it still could not boot windows.After, l took ssd and try to load using another pc but its size could only be read but contents could not....
  4. boot device not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot device not found: Hi! So my sister's laptop has a bought Windows 10 pro and I updated it to windows 11 but after i few months without turning it off the laptop showed the blue screen thing and it said restarting your laptop but after that it says boot device not found. i tried restarting my...
  5. no boot device found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no boot device found: Aloha,I am using a Dell Inspirion 3275, and when I turn on the computer it states there is no bootable device. What can I do to fix this. My computer is just old enough to be outside the warranty. Any solutions on how I can get my Windows 10 OS to boot?MahaloJustin...
  6. no boot device found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no boot device found: Aloha,I am using a Dell Inspirion 3275, and when I turn on the computer it states there is no bootable device. What can I do to fix this. My computer is just old enough to be outside the warranty. Any solutions on how I can get my Windows 10 OS to boot?MahaloJustin...
  7. Boot Device not found

Boot Device not found: I know there has probably been this error before, but this is different, my HP pc has got an error about Boot Device not found right after i got the BSOD saying my memory was full or something, it turned off without doing the thing of it loading, i tried everything i found, I...
  8. "Boot Device Not Found" Error After Replacing Laptop HDD with an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Boot Device Not Found" Error After Replacing Laptop HDD with an SSD: I recently helped a friend upgrade his older HP laptop (i5-4th Gen CPU) by replacing the hard drive with a Samsung 860 EVO SSD. Upgrade went fine, programs work fine, etc. The OS is the latest Windows 10 version 1909 (Home). But every day or so, the computer either boots...
  9. Boot device not found

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot device not found: Hi, Yesterday I was on my laptop and then it suddenly crashed so I forced powered it off. When I tried to open it again it came up with a black screen saying: Boot device not found Please install and operating system on your hard disk. For more information, please...
  10. Acer: no boot device found but have new SSD

Acer: no boot device found but have new SSD: hi, My device got the no boot device found error message few tines or so. New device, by the way. I have been told it is most likely an issue with the SSD. I had Acer replace the SSD. Now, will that fix the issue or need other fix?...