Windows 10: Boot Device not selected, Desktop Icons greyed out, Chrome wont load

Discus and support Boot Device not selected, Desktop Icons greyed out, Chrome wont load in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, Returned to my PC to see blank screen reading "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot..." Restarted into Boot menu, selected the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by danter, Aug 2, 2020.

1. danter Win User

Boot Device not selected, Desktop Icons greyed out, Chrome wont load

Hi guys,

Returned to my PC to see blank screen reading "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot..."
    Restarted into Boot menu, selected the boot drive and started fine. Next startup same issue, however now it continues to boot ok.
    But now most of the desktop icons are 'greyed out' except the three that were installed in the past day. They do however continue to work - except Chrome.
    Chrome will not launch. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Installation appears to go fine, but Chrome will not open. Other browers (Opera, Edge work as per normal).
    Thought I would try a System Restore - selected account, however neither my system password nor Microsoft account password will work so cannot proceed. Have to then reboot, but it goes back to "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot..."

Have run a scan with Malwarebytes but nothing picked up. My concern is Chrome is my main browser - and chrome not working, intermittent boot issues plus the mysterious 'greyed out' icons may be symptoms of a bigger issue. As can be seen in the pic, only Malwarebytes, Thunderbird & Chrome are not greyed out (these three were all installed in the past day). Windows Pro build 10.0.18362. PC about 2 months old . Stock standard used for my business. Trying to avoid a reinstall which I did about a month ago due to weird issues with screen freezing and mouse lagging which i cold not get rid of.

Boot Device not selected, Desktop Icons greyed out, Chrome wont load [​IMG]

:)

danter, Aug 2, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

'Allow a device to connect' is greyed out

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run Hardware and Device troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your USB Port. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top
      right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    Step 2: I suggest you to check the Bluetooth Settings and check if it helps.

• Open Control Panel by clicking the
      Windows + X,

• In the Control Panel search box, type
      Bluetooth, and then click Change Bluetooth settings.

• In the Bluetooth Settings dialog box, click the
      Options tab and do any of the following:

• To make your computer discoverable to Bluetooth enabled devices, select the check box for
      Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer.

• To allow you to add Bluetooth enabled devices to your computer, select the check box for
      Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer.

• To be notified when a Bluetooth enabled device is trying to connect to your computer, select the check box for
      Alert me when a new Bluetooth device wants to connect.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Aug 2, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Selecting bootup device

Hello all,

Loaded up my computer last night and it keeps prompting me to select a boot device. I'm pretty sure the hard-drives knackered but was wondering if I've gone through every possibility before going out and buying a new one.....

So far i've....

- Checked the boot up menu in BIOS. Drive isnt found
    - The drive does sound as if its still spinning
    - Tried mounting through Linux, no luck. Internal error.
    - Checked connections

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wozzer, Aug 2, 2020
  4. Boot Device not selected, Desktop Icons greyed out, Chrome wont load

Desktop greyed out and the apps are unresponsive on Windows 10.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

2. When you say that the desktop is greyed out, does it means the background is greyed out or even the apps icon got effected?

3. What exactly happens when to click the app icons? Did you receive any error message?

4. Did you install any third party security application?

This issue may arise due to corruptions in Windows components or due to driver conflicts. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

As an initial troubleshooting step,
    I suggest you to download and install any pending updates that needs to be installed on the computer through Windows update and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press Windows logo key +R, enter ms-settings:, and then press
      OK. This opens Settings.
    • In Settings, go to Update & security >
      Windows Update, and then select
      Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the display driver and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device
    Manager”.

2. In the list of devices, you should see the Display Drivers.

3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".

4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.

5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Boot Device not selected, Desktop Icons greyed out, Chrome wont load

1. Boot Device not selected, Desktop Icons greyed out, Chrome wont load - Similar Threads - Boot Device selected

2. several icons in my desktop is greyed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    several icons in my desktop is greyed out: I dont know how to describe my issue however some icons on my desktop are not showing there are names and you can drag it anywhere on the desktop. You can also click on it and it will open. I tried to remove them but still it will be blank when you put it back in the desktop....
  3. several icons in my desktop is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    several icons in my desktop is greyed out: I dont know how to describe my issue however some icons on my desktop are not showing there are names and you can drag it anywhere on the desktop. You can also click on it and it will open. I tried to remove them but still it will be blank when you put it back in the desktop....
  4. several icons in my desktop is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Battery icon is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery icon is greyed out: I want to see my battery icon to keep on trackm but after some time it will go out and if I check the settings it is greyed out. How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-icon-is-greyed-out/9481ac50-05a4-4cdf-9e5e-430d2967ed75
  6. battery icon greyed out!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    battery icon greyed out!: I want the battery icon active in my task bar but it always disappear once in a while and comeback. I tried checking settings to make sure it is on, but it is already on. Everytime it went missing, and I check the settings, it will no longer available and greyed out. How to...
  7. Settings selection is greyed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Settings selection is greyed out: I have just activated OneDrive on a new laptop. It immediately started to synch all files. I stopped the synch because I only want to install a subset of my OneDrive on this laptop. If found how to do that elsewhere in this Community but the first steps are: more>Settings -...
  8. desktop wont load

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    desktop wont load: hi up until a few weeks ago my pc was working fine,then while I was out my daughter accepted an update from then on my pc won't load desktop! also task manager. I've tried a couple of youtube options to no avail. I left it as I got stressed now I want it to work. can...
  9. Windows store wont open, and a load of apps are greyed out

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows store wont open, and a load of apps are greyed out: Hey guys, I REALLY need help here. For some reason a load of my apps are greyed out, and windows defender and Windows store wont open. I've tried Powershell and that WSReset.exe thing, but neither seemed to have any effect. I'm at my wits end here and I really need to get...
  10. Password selection greyed out

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Password selection greyed out: Everytime for the last day that I have turned on my netbook (Toshiba kirabook) the password box would be greyed out, not letting me click on it and type in my password. The shut down and switch user buttons are also greyed out as well. I've had windows 10 downloaded now for a...