Windows 10: Boot drive and Data Drive

Discus and support Boot drive and Data Drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So recently I've reinstalled windows 10 onto my new SSD and leaving my old HDD as a data drive. My problem is when I try to download and install new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DerpyBuilderz, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Boot drive and Data Drive

So recently I've reinstalled windows 10 onto my new SSD and leaving my old HDD as a data drive. My problem is when I try to download and install new programs such as valorant or obs it goes to my SSD instead of the HDD. I've tried changing the directory path when installing and trying to change the path through file explorer too. Does anyone know what to do?

submitted by /u/DerpyBuilderz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DerpyBuilderz, Nov 30, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Boot drive and Data Drive :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Nov 30, 2020
  3. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Msap14 Win User

Boot drive and Data Drive

Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Boot drive and Data Drive

1. Boot drive and Data Drive - Similar Threads - Boot drive Data

2. Transferring data from the boot drive to a secondary drive in a laptop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Transferring data from the boot drive to a secondary drive in a laptop: This may be a dumb question but I have new laptop with a 500GB boot drive and a secondary 1TB spinner drive in it but have no idea on how to transfer say photos and other data like that from the boot drive to the larger disk. I don't wantto copy the Windows installation as...
  3. C: drive and DATA drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C: drive and DATA drive: So I have had my current computer for a little while now, and I just now... I know silly me. Discovered a 1.8TB hard drive and its called DATA and I really would like to shift my current install to that drive, but I do not now how, so I have decided to ask here. I have...
  4. Drive data recovery and drive letter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive data recovery and drive letter: My question is that can "A change in drive letter" may affect data recovery process? Actually i made a reset on my windows 10 pc. Accidentally my all data was deleted. After the reset, i tried many data recovery softwares But a few videos and photos were detected by the...
  5. Copying a data only drive to a larger data drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying a data only drive to a larger data drive: I did the copy, but do I just change the drive letters in Disk Management? The data is fine, I just don't know where to go from here. IOW, I copied my smaller disk E (Platter drive) to larger disk G (SSD) and would like it to function just like the smaller E drive did....
  6. Size of Data Drives in One Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size of Data Drives in One Drive: I have 2 drives on my desktop running Windows 10. Both drives are set at 250Mb each. All of my data files images, documents, back-ups etc are on the D drive and the programmes etc are on the C drive. Ideally, I would like the drives set so that the D drive is 350Mb and the C...
  7. Clone the non-boot, user data drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clone the non-boot, user data drive: Bear with me while I provide some background. Back in 2013 I built my current PC, and given the price of hardware at the time, I wanted a hybrid solution with the following configuration. C: (SSD) - Windows, Program Files/Data D: (HDD) - User directories I did this by...
  8. Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Retrieving Data From Drive That Won't Boot: The SSD drive on my computer will no longer boot windows. Windows tried all the built in repair tools it has but couldn't repair it. However, I have been able to boot my pc from a usb pen drive and can access the drive, which seems to be working fine. I'd been intending to...
  9. Boot drive overlain on data drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot drive overlain on data drive: Just wanted to ask if anyone had seen anything like this. I have a whitebox HTPC that I built about 6 years ago. Aside from Win and other software updates, this hasn't changed over that time and has been operating just fine. Macrium Reflect is used to image (full &...
  10. Boot drive overlain on data drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot drive overlain on data drive: Just wanted to ask if anyone had seen anything like this. I have a whitebox HTPC that I built about 6 years ago. Aside from Win and other software updates, this hasn't changed over that time and has been operating just fine. Macrium Reflect is used to image (full &...