Windows 10: Boot drive changed after upgrading from windows 7

Discus and support Boot drive changed after upgrading from windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I updated my daughter's Toshiba Satellite c655-s5125 Windows 7 computer to Windows 10. Now it won't boot. I am able to get to a Command prompt though.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by torisfall, Sep 17, 2018.

1. torisfall Win User

Boot drive changed after upgrading from windows 7

I updated my daughter's Toshiba Satellite c655-s5125 Windows 7 computer to Windows 10.
    Now it won't boot. I am able to get to a Command prompt though.
    Boot drive changed after upgrading from windows 7 [​IMG]

Boot drive changed after upgrading from windows 7 [​IMG]
    From what I've been able to tell it wants to boot to an X drive, but I ran diskpart , here's a pic attached. I don't know what happened.
    I've tried safemode, installing fwindows 19 from a usb and nothing.

Thanks for your help.

:)

torisfall, Sep 17, 2018

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Sep 17, 2018
  3. tomba2k Win User
    AMD data change.......no boot up problem

1st: go to bios, check boot device TYPE priority (cdrom/hdd/etc.)
    then, go to hard disk drives (still under boot category), and check if your system hard drive is at 1st place (IF you have more than 1 hdd)
    2nd: if your bios boot settings are OK, run windows 7 installation disc, go to repair your system, run fixmbr and fixboot options (i think they are at same option on windows 7 repair - startup repair or something like that)
    3rd: if your windows 7 installation disc cannot find your windows 7 installation, reinstall it, but take care - you may have bad sectors on your hdd

please, go step by step, and dont read 3rd step warning before you try 1st and 2nd xD

you can also disable "LAN boot ROM" option under "integrated devices" bios category to never see that meesage again (at least 3 NVIDIA Boot Agent lines xD )

tomba2k, Sep 17, 2018
  4. OrbitzXT Win User

Windows 7 & XP Boot Problem

I did as that said, and was able to get back into Windows 7, but I did not have the option of going into XP. Response two on that page deals with that and says...

I did all that, upon rebooting Windows XP was listed as an option but selecting it doesn't work. I get a message saying something is missing or corrupt. I'm confused what drive letter I was supposed to use during the quoted method of adding XP support. While in Windows, the drive with XP is labeled as E:, but if I go into Windows setup it says the drive with XP is called C:. I had put E:, so perhaps it was supposed to be C...but while in Windows 7, the Windows 7 drive is called C:.

My current situation is that XP wouldn't work at all, but 7 would. I decided to reinstall XP again to be in the same situation as before. I'm unsure how to get them both working.

OrbitzXT, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Boot drive changed after upgrading from windows 7 - Similar Threads - Boot drive changed

2. Upgrade to 10 from 7 on dual boot drive containing 7 and XP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to 10 from 7 on dual boot drive containing 7 and XP: I have Win7 and XP on a single SSD nicely set up for dual booting. Works perfectly. Can anyone say what will happen if I upgrade 7 to 10 using the Windows upgrade site method, downloading the update .exe file and firing away? Can anyone predict what will happen? Thanks, Jack...
  3. 0xc000000e ERROR after upgrading and mirroring hard drive after free upgrade from windows 7...

0xc000000e ERROR after upgrading and mirroring hard drive after free upgrade from windows 7...: Trying to upgrade hard drive on an 8 year old system with no other changes. Bought a Samsung 870EVO SSD that said it was backwards compatible. Ran the Samsung mirroring software on the system, removed and installed the Samsung drive. Won't boot, gives the error message...
  4. Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7: Hi,I've recently changed the motherboard and CPU of my computer and I'm now being asked to reactivate my account error code 0xC004F211. The problem is that I upgraded from Windows 7 and don't have an activation key for Windows 10. I also didn't have a Microsoft account linked...
  5. BSOD on boot after upgrade from Windows 7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on boot after upgrade from Windows 7: After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro i get various BSOD on boot. usually i need 2-4 attempts to boot into login mask. very rarely i have a BSOD some seconds after login. power on after sleep or hibernate works well, so this problem occurs after windows updates. within windows 7...
  6. BSOD after upgrade from Windows 7. Cannot Boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after upgrade from Windows 7. Cannot Boot.: I cannot start Windows my laptop. I can get into safe mode. I've tried to system restore and clean boot. I have tried verifier which gives the error iastor.sys Attached are the zip files. Please help. Thanks. Attachment 36303 21625
  7. Upgrading from 7 and hardware change

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading from 7 and hardware change: Hi experts, Please give me some advice on the best upgrade path for my system Currently running win7 on an AMD CPU/Gigabyte motherboard. I have Win7 installed on an SSD which is of course the boot device, and my user profiles are mapped to a second HDD where most of my...
  8. Is changing hard drive on Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 possible?

Is changing hard drive on Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 possible?: My desktop is slow, and I want to change out the system drive to SSD. Is this possible? I do not have a Windows key as it was merely a free upgrade. Can I just clone the existing drive onto an SSD and swap? Or will windows deny me this upgrade? 106486
  9. PC not automatically booting up after upgrade from Windows 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Support
    PC not automatically booting up after upgrade from Windows 7 to 10: I had my PC set up through the BIOS settings to automatically boot up at certain times and days while running Windows 7. After the upgrade to 10, the PC doesn't boot up like before. I checked the BIOS settings, and they're still set up the same way so I'm not sure why the PC...
  10. Cannot change display after upgrade from Win 7 ...

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot change display after upgrade from Win 7 ...: I have a Toshiba Satellite (P755-S5215) and the resolution is "squeezed" ... from top to bottom. In addition, I cannot change the resolution. I currently have a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" showing in Device Manager. Should I get the latest Intel Display driver from...