Windows 10: Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive

Discus and support Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 version 1903 I recently decided to finally upgrade my Windows 7 system to Windows 10. I bought a new SSD, removed my old SSD, and installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ben789456, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Ben789456 Win User

Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive

Windows 10 version 1903

I recently decided to finally upgrade my Windows 7 system to Windows 10. I bought a new SSD, removed my old SSD, and installed Windows 10 on the new one. This way I'd be able to go back to my old system if I forgot to back something up or just didn't like Windows 10. I wanted a backup plan.

The Windows 10 upgrade went great and I have no problem with it. I'd like to wipe my old Windows 7 SSD and use it for something else, but I want to take a disc image of it first, just in case. I connected the SSD to an external enclosure, but the drive doesn't show up in the This PC window or in Disk Management. I suspect it might have something to do with it also be a C: drive, but I don't know how to change the drive letter if it won't show up in Disk Management. I also tried using EaseUS's software, but it didn't show up there either.

Worst case scenario, I can install it back into my machine, load up Windows 7 and do a disc image there. But it kind of bugs me that this isn't working! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR - The system drive for a Windows 7 install won't load as an external in my new Windows 10 system. Not appearing in Disk Management. Could this be a drive letter conflict?

:)

Ben789456, Oct 31, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Oct 31, 2019
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Oct 31, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

External Hard drive won't show up!

I've got the EXACT same think happening with a 750GB Canvio USB3.0 drive plugged into a laptop with USB 2.0 only.

It was working like a charm for months (literally) until one time, I ejected the hardware and selected the drive itself in the list (not the root USB device). Now it gives the device connection "beep" when I plug it in, but the drive simply will not show up. It does work fine on all other computers here in the office! WTF.

Sasqui, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Boot drive from my old computer won't show up as external drive - Similar Threads - Boot drive old

2. External hard drive will not show up on computer anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive will not show up on computer anymore: All of a sudden none of my 3 external hard drives will show up on my computer. No where. Not in disk management, not in device manager even viewing hidden. No where, no nothing, I just don't get it. No hardware changes or anything for my computer. Tried other usb connections...
  3. External hard drive will not show up on computer anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive will not show up on computer anymore: All of a sudden none of my 3 external hard drives will show up on my computer. No where. Not in disk management, not in device manager even viewing hidden. No where, no nothing, I just don't get it. No hardware changes or anything for my computer. Tried other usb connections...
  4. Old boot drive is still showing up in my disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old boot drive is still showing up in my disk management: I'am adding a photo of my disk management. I just installed a larger ssd and took out my old one. When I got to rename the new disk drive I added, it won't let me because the old disk drive is still showing up. I am wanting to format my computer, but can't do anything until I...
  5. Old boot drive is still showing up in my disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old boot drive is still showing up in my disk management: I'am adding a photo of my disk management. I just installed a larger ssd and took out my old one. When I got to rename the new disk drive I added, it won't let me because the old disk drive is still showing up. I am wanting to format my computer, but can't do anything until I...
  6. External Drive not showing up.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drive not showing up.: My external drive is not showing up in file explorer or diskmanagement. However it shows in Device Manager/Diskdrives. When I click on the properties "This device is working properly." but on volumes tab nothing shows in disk information....
  7. external hard drive not showing in my computer

external hard drive not showing in my computer: My seagate hard drive is not showing in my computer,also light on hard drive is not blinking. But it is showing in devices and printers. When I try to safely remove it nothing happens ,and after removing the hard drive, pop up comes "problem ejecting usb attached SCSIUAS mass...
  8. Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.

Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362. 476) I've got an external drive where I keep many of my private files. I have shortcuts to them on the desktop. No system files are on it. If the drive is plugged in, the computer won't start. It will start only if that drive is unplugged....
  9. 2nd drive not showing in my computer but boots up

2nd drive not showing in my computer but boots up: I was a Bombardier in the Hawaiian Army, sorry. *Sad But you are right, all replies removed.
  10. Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved

Drive from old computer shows up as System Reserved: I have been able to successfully access my old hard drive from a different computer in the past. Now when I plug it in, it shows up twice in This PC. Once as System Reserved (D) and Local Disk (E) NTFS. If I click on local disk E, it says location not available, E:\ is not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my old boot drive wont show up