Windows 10: Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma...

Discus and support Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey gang, I bought a new HP Pavilion Gaming TG-0023w with Windows 10 pre-installed onto a 256gb NVMe hard drive. I'm upgrading the original drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoeBananas, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma...

Hey gang,

I bought a new HP Pavilion Gaming TG-0023w with Windows 10 pre-installed onto a 256gb NVMe hard drive. I'm upgrading the original drive to a 1tb version of the same type. I was looking around to find out how to setup the new drive with my PC's copy of Windows on it and there are a lot of suggestions online promoting 3rd party software to clone it. That is not what my goal is. I'm aiming to UPGRADE the original drive while also transferring it's non-boot partition in the process. Essentially a clone but the other drive is coming out and getting formatted to be sold. Do I make a recovery image file on USB, power off, swap out the drive, and reboot into BIOS to restore from said USB image? -OR- Does the drive need to remain the SAME in a recovery based installation? Didn't know if it would be successful based on whether or not the digital license is assigned to the computer's mac address or the drive itself that came with it. I REALLY don't wanna mess this up. Thanks in advance.

:)

JoeBananas, Apr 1, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 1, 2021
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Apr 1, 2021
  4. Nordic Win User

Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma...

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Apr 1, 2021
Thema:

Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma...

1. Boot Drive Upgrade on new Windows 10 pc dilemma... - Similar Threads - Boot Drive Upgrade

2. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  3. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive: I built a new PC recently and got a new m.2 SSD Which is my new boot drive/ :C Drive. I was wondering if it was safe to take my old PC :C Drive and put it in my new one and wipe it? Will this cause any issues since there would be two drives with windows installed on them?...
  4. Moving a old windows boot drive to a new pc that has a new boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 10 update dilemma

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update dilemma: So I have 2 laptops undated and Oh I wish they hadn't.... I can do anything for very long 25-45min with out it suddenly restarting because if has discovered a problem...... Anyone else had this recently?? I had updates totally kill one computer years ago but it was pretty...
  6. Upgrading Windows 10 PC with an SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 PC with an SSD boot drive: I want to upgrade my desktop computer with a 1TB SSD Drive to increase performance. BUT, I do NOT want to have reinstall EVERYTHING and do it from scratch. I have PC Mover to do that with, but the target SSD drive has to be set up with Windows 10 before I can do the move. As...
  7. Windows 10 dilemmas

Windows 10 dilemmas: Hello pals. Have to make clear a few dilemmas that I have these days about my Windows 10 installation that I made. To be more clear about the following text, I'm not a pc expert or sth, I just do the best I know. So I had already Windows 10 installed on my laptop before, but...
  8. Windows 7 upgrade dilemma

Windows 7 upgrade dilemma: I would like to continue using Windows 7 but my concern is that it is no longer supported after January 2020. Ideally, if my laptop is still working, I would like to switch to Windows 10 in December 2019. Is there any way of doing this for free by, say, creating a Windows 10...
  9. Windows 10 dilemma!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 dilemma!: So impressed with my upgrade and within 10 minutes I opted for the clean install, all was great a few niggles with my Xonar DGX sound card, but overall very pleased....But decided today to take my PC to someone's house to show them that W10 is worth the upgrade, I didn't take...
  10. Win 10 upgrade dilemma

Win 10 upgrade dilemma: Hi, I originally used the sysprep method (from eightforums) to move my user profile to a different drive (E: drive) in win 8.1. My dilemma is do I move my user profile back to the C: drive (win drive) before upgrading to win 10 ? or just upgrade as it would seem this is...