Windows 10: Boot drive wiping problem.

Discus and support Boot drive wiping problem. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys. Today I used the Windows 10 tool thing to use my 128GB USB stick as a boot drive for a clean install. All done with that now. Now I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DreadAlert, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Boot drive wiping problem.

Hey guys.

Today I used the Windows 10 tool thing to use my 128GB USB stick as a boot drive for a clean install. All done with that now. Now I've formatted the USB stick and it says the USB stick has 31.9GB of space, and is called ESD-USB.

How do I fix this?

Thanks.
    -

:)

DreadAlert, Sep 27, 2015

2. Windows 10 Upgrade failed, then restoring Windows 7 failed, now cannot even boot rescue DVD

Darik's Boot & Nuke to wipe the drive 100%. Then if there is a problem booting/using your recovery or installation media - it's the hardware or bum media because there will be no trace
    of Windows 10 on that system (unless you boot from a Windows 10 installation media.)

Shenan Stanley, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Wipe Hard Drive

Do you have a windows disc? If so put it into the drive and boot from it. You get the option to wipe the drive early on, then simply eject the disc. If you don't have a disc, download window washer or cc cleaner. Both have a facility to wipe the hard
    drive

AnthonyPetrie, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Boot drive wiping problem.

that is because it was formatted as Fat32

change format to NTFS

5. Should I re-format it with NTFS? or exFAT? I know nothing about this haha. What do I do to get it back to 128GB?

DreadAlert, Sep 27, 2015
  6. Kyhi Win User
    from disk management
    select that 32 GB partition and delete it

then select the unallocated space and create new NTFS partition

the windows create media tool created the 32gb partition and formatted it fat32

you have to delete that 32gb partition first

could also use Diskpart
    from cmd prompt (admin)

Type> diskpart
    type> select disk 2
    type> clean

7. Berton Win User

I used a 64GB USB Thumb/Flash drive to create the boot drive and it formatted a 32GB FAT32 partition in the process. Looking in Disk Management showed only the 32GB partition and all choices to work with the remaining 31.x space were grayed out. After my 32GB drives arrived I created a new one them booted to a GPARTED LiveCD to delete the partition from the 64GB drive then repartition it as FAT32. Windows has problems creating FAT32 partitions above 32GB. I got a 64GB MicroSDXC memory stick for my Win8.1 tablet Upgraded to Win10 and it came formatted as exFAT, seems to be fine.
    This is for Win7 but seems valid for Win10:
    Convert a hard disk or partition to FAT32 format - Windows Help

Another take on it:
    Format FAT32 drives beyond 32GB limit - TechRepublic

Berton, Sep 27, 2015
  8. Fixed, had to use diskpart via cmd to delete the partition made by the Windows 10 install tool. Formatted into one space again.

DreadAlert, Sep 27, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
    that is how it is done..

Thema:

1. Boot drive wiping problem. - Similar Threads - Boot drive wiping

2. problem with booting drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem with booting drive: My laptop is HP pavilion 7Gen with windows 10 installed on HDD. Today I installed SSD and windows 10 home the problem is in boot menu in both systems only display one boot system option and ignore the other system...would you help meI tried to change system boot drive from...
  3. Drive and boot problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive and boot problem: When I receive the Your drive has run into a problem error and restarts, I then get a No bootable device found error. Sometimes I get a Windows did not boot correctly and needs to restart message.Do you think if I delete my 4 USB ports it would reload them and correct the...
  4. Drive and boot problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive and boot problem: When I receive the Your drive has run into a problem error and restarts, I then get a No bootable device found error. Sometimes I get a Windows did not boot correctly and needs to restart message.Do you think if I delete my 4 USB ports it would reload them and correct the...
  5. Drive and boot problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Hard drive wipe

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive wipe: Hi,I need to wipe a external hard drive to reuse in another system. I thought about using ccleaner but I know it is unsafe. Just so you know I don't want to format it.Thanks...
  7. Wiping hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wiping hard drives: I am selling a pc it has 3 drives installed, i factory reset the pc and chose to delete all files, will this delete the files from all 3 drives or just the drive with the OS on?...
  8. Hard Drive Wipe - Booting up Windows 10

Hard Drive Wipe - Booting up Windows 10: When I logged on my computer this morning I found that my entire hard drive had been wiped clean - no pictures, documents, or any other files that I saved from the last year has survived. There was a blue error window that appeared before I logged in stating that Windows 10...
  9. Cannot boot or reinstall windows, or wipe drive

Cannot boot or reinstall windows, or wipe drive: Hi all. I have a Windows machine Dell XPS13 9350 that got corrupted during an update. I cannot access the Windows startup menu, as the Dell loading screen continues indefinitely after the BIOS startup menu. I have tried to reinstall Windows from a USB stick, but was unable to...
  10. Error when booting after secondary drive wipe

Error when booting after secondary drive wipe: I recently bought an SSD and installed windows on it. my old windows was still installed on my old hard drive. after finishing up installations and such I formatted the drive via gparted, but now I get the error 0xc0000225 unable to find the file...