Windows 10: Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

Discus and support Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Issue: Error blue screen when booting with stop code DE Stillstandcode INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Computer restarts automatically and then freezes with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Wolfgang Soundso, May 20, 2020.

1. Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

Issue:

Error blue screen when booting with stop code DE Stillstandcode INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. Computer restarts automatically and then freezes with message “automatic repair being prepared” DE “Automatische Reparatur wird vorbereitet”. After manual shut down, the same happens all over again.

System:

Lenovo IdeaPad C340-15IWL with pre-installed Windows 10 updated to latest version / fixes with two drives:

128 GB SSD with Windwos and program files C: “Windows-SDD”

1 TB HDD as data storage D: “Data”

Reason:

Not clear. Just three days before a BIOS update ALCN28WW V2.05 has been installed, after which the fingerprint scanner didn’t work any longer. Lenovo support suggested to reset BIOS to defaults and re-install driver, which did not solve the problem, but at least the computer still worked. After another restart, the issue occurred.

Troubleshooting:

1 Loaded default settings in BIOS againà no change.

2 Booted from Win 10 installation USB flash drive, chose repair options DE “Computerreparaturoptionen”, then troubleshooting DE “Problembehandlung”, then start help DE “Starthilfe”à PC could not be repaired; then chose advance options DE “Erweiterte Optionen”, command prompt DE “Eingabeaufforderung”; change to drive C: and D: and could see that all directories are still there, BUT DRIVE LETTERS ARE SWITCHED: C: shows as “Data” holding all directories formerly under D:, and D: shows as “Windows-SDD” holding all directories formerly under C:

Pretty sure that this switch of drive letters is related to the issue Windows probably tries to boot from C:, which is the wrong drive now, not idea how this came, and no idea how to switch it back to make Win work again.

Thanks for any helpful suggestion!

:)

Wolfgang Soundso, May 20, 2020

2. Swapping drive letters, including boot volume

I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning?

I have a new ASUS M52BC with:

• 1 TB hard drive with a Windows (CBoot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched :) and empty data (DBoot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched :) partition
    • Windows 8.1 (I will upgrade to Windows 10 very soon) on the hard drive
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO (physically installed but nothing more done to it)
    What I want to get to is:

• 1 TB hard drive with the data (DBoot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched :) partition and (for the old Windows partition) the drive letter of the C: changed to something else
    • Windows 10 on the SSD as the C:
    I don't intend to boot to Windows on the hard drive after I get Windows working on the SSD unless I need to remove the SSD for return to ASUS for repair. (My new computer had a bad motherboard when I received it but I hope I do not need to return it again.)

I want to clone Windows to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration tool. During the clone, the SSD will of course not have the drive letter "C". To boot from and use the SSD after the cloning, it must have the drive letter "C", correct? I assume the Data
    Migration tool cannot change the drive letter used by the software it clones.

After the clone, how do I swap the drive letters? I assume I cannot change the drive letter of the hard drive Windows partition when it was used to boot from because it would be the boot drive, correct?

I know that some people will suggest that I do a fresh install. I want to avoid doing that if possible.

I see
    Migrate system partition to a new disk
    . I think that describes doing what I am trying to do, but unfortunately he does not know how he did it.

Simple Samples, May 20, 2020
  3. MrDuckFIN Win User
    C drive letter occupied by "System reserved", computer doesn't boot up.

I am writing this with my phone, so expect a couple grammar mistakes here and there.

My PC is broke, because there's a lot of wrong with the partitions.

Before i go explaining things, i will note that i cannot boot using normal mode nor safe mode (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error) and all installation media has failed loading completely (it loads, but no window shows up, leaving me with a blue screen and a
    mouse pointer)(and yes, i have tried it on another computer, it worked fine).

I've got Windows 10 64 bits. It might seem like lackluster information but i don't really know what to put here.

I've checked disk partitons, and have noted that the C drive is "system reserved". The original C drive has moved to letter D, while the D drive has moved to letter E. I've tried using the startup repair cmd and DISKPART to move letters, and used the regedit
    method too, but in both they simply reset back on restart.

Also is of note , i've taken a look with a boot able partition manager (partition wizard or something) and the status for the C drive (system reserved) is "active & boot", while the status for the original C drive says "system". Every screenshot I've seen
    of the manager shows the "boot" status paired with the "system" status.

feel free to ask additional questions if necessary. I've personally given up at this point, so that's why I'm asking. I hope this New year doesn't end up sad.

MrDuckFIN, May 20, 2020
  4. Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, May 20, 2020
Thema:

Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched

1. Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, drive letters C: and D: switched - Similar Threads - Boot error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

2. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  3. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  4. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive and D drive switches up: Recently my cpu was hitting 100c so i changed the cooler and now its fine. But in the proces of doing so I accidently unplugged the sata cable from my hdd and plugged it back in. Since I did that now my c drive is my ssd and my d drive is my hdd. And now my c drive is...
  5. C drive and D drive switches up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Switch up my C and D drive

Switch up my C and D drive: Hello, I have decided to reinstall my Windows 10, because previously my windows has installed on C drive - which is for some reason 1TB HDD, and then D drive - which is 128 SSD. I would like to ask how can I switch these two so my windows can install on SSD marked as C...
  7. How to switch C: and D: drive

How to switch C: and D: drive: Hi all! I have this weird problem where my C: drive is de HDD and the SSD in my system is the D: drive. Yesterday I used the paid version of AOMEI to clone the Windows 10 system to the SSD. That worked for the evening. Today, when I booted my system up, everything was...
  8. INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error after C partition extending

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error after C partition extending: Hi, I’ve try to extend my C partition with some free software from internet. Now my Laptop is in restart loop and it crash with this error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. I don’t know what to do, I cannot run safe mode, I cannot access the setting or troubleshooting or repair...
  9. My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...: Hi, after using my laptop a few days ago, I decided to reboot and windows couldn't boot. After trying every possible fix without success, I had to reinstall windows via a USB stick. I took a photo of my volumes after reinstalling windows. Everything was ok. [ATTACH]...
  10. C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    C: Drive and D: Drive files switched after upgrade: Sorry, didn't exactly know where to post this. So recently I had my Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 10 (also upgraded various hardware). Today I was fiddling around and customizing it, when I noticed that all of my files that were previously saved on my C: Drive were...